'SPIT' roasted FB

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I noticed that I have failed my mission as stated on page 1. (I have only me to blame for allowing myself to be swallowed into @rockyboy 's latest challenge.)
@kilroy07 just posted a new years noon world-fly challenge, highlighting this. It enticed me back here... the Spitfire special on Netflix didn't hurt me toward trying this out.
so to you... I say - thank you.

The Fopster

Master member
Last post to celebrate a successful build of the standard SBK FT Spitfire. I messed up with the painting - I used water based brush paint for the underside, not realising that although the FT Foamboard is water resistant, it is still affected by moisture. The stabiliser and ailerons warped pretty badly. Doh!
Anyway, after a delay to gather my resolve I managed to get them straight-is with some heat from an iron, and after a visual trim reset I was off for post-paint maiden. It flew really well - I'm very much a noob pilot but it's very stable and user friendly and it's come home in one piece - evidence below!
Now I'm pondering the next build whilst I practice flying this one - time to get my design head working. I may try a Mosquito...

PS - anyone in the UK know of a prop adaptor for a 3,17mm shaft that's long enough to take a spinner? Mine won't!

1.jpg

Wildthing

Legendary member
Last post to celebrate a successful build of the standard SBK FT Spitfire. I messed up with the painting - I used water based brush paint for the underside, not realising that although the FT Foamboard is water resistant, it is still affected by moisture. The stabiliser and ailerons warped pretty badly. Doh!
Anyway, after a delay to gather my resolve I managed to get them straight-is with some heat from an iron, and after a visual trim reset I was off for post-paint maiden. It flew really well - I'm very much a noob pilot but it's very stable and user friendly and it's come home in one piece - evidence below!
Now I'm pondering the next build whilst I practice flying this one - time to get my design head working. I may try a Mosquito...

PS - anyone in the UK know of a prop adaptor for a 3,17mm shaft that's long enough to take a spinner? Mine won't!

View attachment 148447
That looks great, well done

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well here is the most up to date pic I have at the moment. So it's getting pretty close. Once I get the front turtle deck on, I'm going to be making that section a removable hatch for the battery.

View attachment 148641
Looks like a clean build bud, I see you opted for the fixed wing and not removable and a battery hatch, good choice. Mine had the opposite and for the most part I regretted it, it was the reason it met it's early demise. Well that and I crashed it numerous times but that doesn't count, it was the planes fault lol ;)

moret

Well here is the most up to date pic I have at the moment. So it's getting pretty close. Once I get the front turtle deck on, I'm going to be making that section a removable hatch for the battery.

Look at the mig 3 and make your battery hatch around the same plans. Put you ESC under the power pod and cut a hole for you batteriy wiring to come up from under the bottom. Then your receiver can be inside the power pod at the back . If you are using the "C" pack V2 motor with the shaft that comes out the back. Add a double foam wall between the battery and the shaft. In a year I only had 2 batteries go bad. Both of them was impaled on the motor shaft during rapid deceleration.

Jimun

Elite member
Here is some video of the Spitfire after the maiden flight from last week.

Yea, I did nose dive it like a lawn dart and it did some damageo_Oo_O. Wings are good but I think I need to build a new fuselage.:unsure::unsure:

Spitfire 07.JPG

Spitfire 08.JPG

I want to thank @kilroy07 for supplying and starting this whole thing and @bracesport for doing the thread. Also thanks to @mayan , @buzzbomb , @CarolineTyler and @sundown57 for making me apart of this build and fly. Thanks to all (@BATTLEAXE , @Wildthing , and all the others here) that have joined in and participated, encouraged, critiqued and guided us through to many successful and not successful maidens. This has been a blast and from the looks of it it will continue to be.:D

Wildthing

Legendary member

Yea, I did nose dive it like a lawn dart and it did some damageo_Oo_O. Wings are good but I think I need to build a new fuselage.:unsure::unsure:

View attachment 148760

View attachment 148761

I want to thank @kilroy07 for supplying and starting this whole thing and @bracesport for doing the thread. Also thanks to @mayan , @buzzbomb , @CarolineTyler and @sundown57 for making me apart of this build and fly. Thanks to all (@BATTLEAXE , @Wildthing , and all the others here) that have joined in and participated, encouraged, critiqued and guided us through to many successful and not successful maidens. This has been a blast and from the looks of it it will continue to be.:D

To bad about the lawn dart but that is part of this hobby, I think the more excuses we have to build the happier we are :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

View attachment 148760

View attachment 148761

That was some nice flying, @Jimun! You were rolling and looping with the best of 'em, and those landings were spectacular! Way better than mine!

The ending sucked, but Lord knows, I've been there done that! Not the end of the world. Did you lose orientation or just try to come out of that loop too close the ground? Come to think of it. :unsure: I've done both of those, as well! :p

I hope you're not feeling bad about your flights that day. You did really good in my book. I wouldn't write off your fuselage, just yet. Did you see the damage repair to mine? She's not the same, but she still flies great! The damage in the pics looks completely repairable. Patch her up, and throw her back up into the air! :)

Jimun

Elite member
That was some nice flying, @Jimun! You were rolling and looping with the best of 'em, and those landings were spectacular! Way better than mine!

The ending sucked, but Lord knows, I've been there done that! Not the end of the world. Did you lose orientation or just try to come out of that loop too close the ground? Come to think of it. :unsure: I've done both of those, as well! :p

I hope you're not feeling bad about your flights that day. You did really good in my book. I wouldn't write off your fuselage, just yet. Did you see the damage repair to mine? She's not the same, but she still flies great! The damage in the pics looks completely repairable. Patch her up, and throw her back up into the air! :)
I just needed a few more feet to pull out. I just got to close the the ground with no room to pull out. I thought the fuselage was repairable to, but when I looked at it today I seen that the skewers that hold the front of the power pod were just about ripped out. I would have to take the whole front off and patch in new parts with out it interfering with the power pod. I will look at it again to figure out the best way to get it flying again.

Jimun

Elite member
@Jimun - it looks like you had a blast - I am amazed at how well the spit flys at all speeds - was the lawn dart user error? 😀
It was fun and I had a good time. Who me, user error? :p:p Maybe :LOL::LOL: I did warm up with the Tiny Trainer but I was have issues with it. I think the ESC has gone bad. I lost power and the motor got pretty hot. I did try another motor and it got hot to. This was after soldering the battery connector back on. I get to get more planes built so I can have more fun.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I would have to take the whole front off and patch in new parts with out it interfering with the power pod
Heck, no! It's way easier than that! You cut up some gift cards, large enough to cover the holes. Drill a hole through the gift cards and then just glue them in place, where the skewers should be going through. Glue some stuff to the fuse, to make things straight again, and BOOM! Skyward! :D

kilroy07

Legendary member
It was fun and I had a good time. Who me, user error? :p:p Maybe :LOL::LOL: I did warm up with the Tiny Trainer but I was have issues with it. I think the ESC has gone bad. I lost power and the motor got pretty hot. I did try another motor and it got hot to. This was after soldering the battery connector back on. I get to get more planes built so I can have more fun.
Ba careful checking a bad esc with another motor, early on I went through my whole ft stock of motors because of one bad esc 😡

Anyone know of a way to safely test escs?
(Maybe I should just buy a couple of those cheap $5 motors again for that.

Great flying though....
(You know, until the end.) I think my setup has too much elevator authority, but maybe a tad more would have saved your plane... 🤔 (Mine is crazy twitchy though...) probably just the operator 😜

Get her repaired so you can try the saw2020 challenge. 😜

I’m glad you joined us my friend ... probably about time we think about 2020. 👍👍