'SPIT' roasted FB

Tr33s

That looks amazingly like my Spitfire. She lived to fly again. What happened?
Actually this was the maiden on the Spit! I’m just too green to fly it yet. So afterwards I flew the Scout until the battery gave out. 7 flights starting with the floats, ripped the fuse on a muddy landing, then some packing tape and flew with no landing gear until I completely ripped the top off the plane when the battery went. The Bix would be proud. The Scout refuses not to fly even after a couple of crashes and bad tape jobs. Rebuilding the Scout as we speak. The Spitfire is so slippery! Just need to reinforce the nose and get some more flight time. It’s hard to teach yourself to fly, so it was really cool to crunch some planes and get over that part (No Trees were harmed during this activity).

Attachments

• A1BBAA2D-3E4D-4BC6-B31C-E9C9A3CCE61A.jpeg
    A1BBAA2D-3E4D-4BC6-B31C-E9C9A3CCE61A.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 6905AF9F-4760-4D63-A0B4-413A6F033370.jpeg
    6905AF9F-4760-4D63-A0B4-413A6F033370.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 0

mach1 rc

Master member
Actually this was the maiden on the Spit! I’m just too green to fly it yet. So afterwards I flew the Scout until the battery gave out. 7 flights starting with the floats, ripped the fuse on a muddy landing, then some packing tape and flew with no landing gear until I completely ripped the top off the plane when the battery went. The Bix would be proud. The Scout refuses not to fly even after a couple of crashes and bad tape jobs. Rebuilding the Scout as we speak. The Spitfire is so slippery! Just need to reinforce the nose and get some more flight time. It’s hard to teach yourself to fly, so it was really cool to crunch some planes and get over that part (No Trees were harmed during this activity).
Oh yah the scout is a amazing plane

Wildthing

Legendary member
Did some of the finishing touches to the Spit... Getting close to maiden time. Got the control surfaces all set for the recommended high and low rates and gave myself a little bit of extra expo to start out with.

View attachment 151821

And finally got the hatch finished up with a popsicle stick and magnet. Went through a few different magnet options before I found something that worked best.

View attachment 151822

View attachment 151823

All that is left is Velcro for the battery, balance it, charge battery, and go.

Question on those last steps...in the build video, I remember they stuffed bubble wrap up in the nose below the turtle deck. Cant remember the reasoning for it. Has anybody else done that?

Honestly I am going to wait til after Christmas for the maiden. Too much other stuff going on with family and the holiday stuff.
Good luck on the maiden

whackflyer

Master member
seeing how 3d printers are the topic , do any of you guys know how to use one? I have some questions id like to find out before i buy one. Like right now I'm thinking of building a Sikorsky S-38. the fuse is pretty much a boat. could I print that on a 3d then build the foam onto it? The motors hang down from the top wing on round struts. could they be printed and strong enough to hold the motors?
I think you could easily print that. If your bed can handle the size. On the motor mounts I think it will be strong enough as long as you can attach it to the fuse strong enough... I just figured out PLA is much stronger than I thought.

whackflyer

Master member
so back to my original question, How bad is the learning curve on these 3 d printers?
I just got mine as you might know. I watched numerous videos on assembly and how to use the slicer and took a long time to level the bed and my printer has been printing nicely. I had to relevel the bed once because I pried around on it trying to get a print off and messed the level up. Based on my short time of having my Ender 3X I would highly recommend it to someone else. Watch the Tomb of 3D Printed Horrors video and he will tell you how to set it up good and get everything squared up.

sundown57

Legendary member
I just got mine as you might know. I watched numerous videos on assembly and how to use the slicer and took a long time to level the bed and my printer has been printing nicely. I had to relevel the bed once because I pried around on it trying to get a print off and messed the level up. Based on my short time of having my Ender 3X I would highly recommend it to someone else. Watch the Tomb of 3D Printed Horrors video and he will tell you how to set it up good and get everything squared up.
when I first leveled mine it was a horror show and the brim was just lines not stuck together well at all. then I saw a video where a guy used a thin piece of magazine paper so I tried that, It made it a lot easier to feel the resistance and when I was done It printed 10 times better, the brim is once solid piece and the finish on the parts is much better.

mayan

Legendary member
Total flight time only a minute or so. Beautiful vertical into Terra Not So Firma. 🙄
Ouch, Looks like the motor exploded.

What a clean rip on the Spitfire.

basslord1124

Master member
I do the same thing 😉

Yeah, I've pretty much adopted that philosophy. The only exception is if I have a plane that I fear I may have "orientation" issues before a maiden. The FT Edge was one I slapped some color on before doing a maiden. For the Spit, having the waterproof foam and then the white posterboard that already helps, so I'll slap it's color on afterwards. I'm not even sure what color I'd want to do the Spit in...I love the camo looks, but I've never done something like that, so I'd have to figure out how to do it first.

It's looking good! I'm looking forward to your maiden. You're really going to love how she flies.

They did the bubble wrap just to add support for the cardstock on the nose. I chose not do do it, and instead cut a nacta vent in on top of the fuse, and I let the air come in the front for cooling.

Looking great! I did add the bubble wrap to the nose and thinks it supports the card stock from tearing.

Thanks...me too @buzzbomb . I figure that's what the bubble wrap was for since it's kinda flimsy there. I may add that or at least something else there.

Where my battery is now in the power pod, my ESC, receiver, and other wiring it all located underneath the pod, so it should get plenty of airflow. :)

Given the amount of dihedral this thing has, I am imaging it will be a pretty stable flying experience. Do you all use rudder that much?

mayan

Legendary member
Yeah, I've pretty much adopted that philosophy. The only exception is if I have a plane that I fear I may have "orientation" issues before a maiden. The FT Edge was one I slapped some color on before doing a maiden. For the Spit, having the waterproof foam and then the white posterboard that already helps, so I'll slap it's color on afterwards. I'm not even sure what color I'd want to do the Spit in...I love the camo looks, but I've never done something like that, so I'd have to figure out how to do it first.

Thanks...me too @buzzbomb . I figure that's what the bubble wrap was for since it's kinda flimsy there. I may add that or at least something else there.

Where my battery is now in the power pod, my ESC, receiver, and other wiring it all located underneath the pod, so it should get plenty of airflow. :)

Given the amount of dihedral this thing has, I am imaging it will be a pretty stable flying experience. Do you all use rudder that much?
I use some rudder on turns, but mainly because I've learned to use it more and more practicing 3D flying.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

I currently only use rudder when I consciously want the input. That is very seldom.