'SPIT' roasted FB

Marty72

Elite member
I got the Spitfire back up in the air this morning (3 bats), this time with a Spinner, a few mods and fixes since last week's rough maiden day of flights. It needed quite a bit of trim (aileron). I first ran 3 batteries through the P 40 and then 3 through the Spitfire. The spitfire is a lot more touchy than the P 40, that's for sure. The Spit flies very different, will go vertical without having to work the sticks. I'm hoping weather cooperates again tomorrow morning and I can fly it some more, still getting a feel for the plane. Closed up the bottom with a simple hatch. Now the battery (due to the weight of the spinner) can sit farther back pretty much over the wing where it's supported and can't fall out.

IMG_2422.JPG e.
IMG_2420.JPG

whackflyer

Master member
I got the Spitfire back up in the air this morning (3 bats), this time with a Spinner, a few mods and fixes since last week's rough maiden day of flights. It needed quite a bit of trim (aileron). I first ran 3 batteries through the P 40 and then 3 through the Spitfire. The spitfire is a lot more touchy than the P 40, that's for sure. The Spit flies very different, will go vertical without having to work the sticks. I'm hoping weather cooperates again tomorrow morning and I can fly it some more, still getting a feel for the plane. Closed up the bottom with a simple hatch. Now the battery (due to the weight of the spinner) can sit farther back pretty much over the wing where it's supported and can't fall out.

View attachment 164563 e. View attachment 164564
That's a very pretty plane! Where'd you get the spinner?

Marty72

Elite member
That's a very pretty plane! Where'd you get the spinner?
Thanks! it's Dubro 2 1/4 spinner, ebay. I painted it the same gray as the plane. The underside I painted "aluminum" thinking it might help orientation, nope, waste of time. The only thing that helps with orientation is paying close attention.

Oh, I did have to grind the spinner a bit to fit the prop and the backside of the spinner to seat up against the C pack motor.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks! it's Dubro 2 1/4 spinner, ebay. I painted it the same gray as the plane. The underside I painted "aluminum" thinking it might help orientation, nope, waste of time. The only thing that helps with orientation is paying close attention.

Oh, I did have to grind the spinner a bit to fit the prop and the backside of the spinner to seat up against the C pack motor.
Did you scuff the spinner at all to get the paint to stick?

Apple Pie

Elite member
Eventually I’ll have to get around to giving this fella its maiden voyage. My daughter said “shark teeth”, so I added shark teeth. To my knowledge that was not
96BFF20D-6E10-4C86-86CC-6BAD508D7821.jpeg
very popular on spitfires but hey, I don’t expect the nose to survive many flights anyways!

Attachments

• CD7C2519-C5C1-4634-B33A-90DBEF37C27D.jpeg
    CD7C2519-C5C1-4634-B33A-90DBEF37C27D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

bracesport

Legendary member
so don't get too excited yet, but yesterday I put the prop back on the Spitfire with the plan to try it at the park when they allow us back out there! I am also working to get a small glider running for my son to fly, but I didn't quite get that finished - the smallest Rx I have is a iA6 and for some reason it was not driving the servos even though it was binding ok - would love to take something he can fly too! :D

IMG_9190.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
so don't get too excited yet, but yesterday I put the prop back on the Spitfire with the plan to try it at the park when they allow us back out there! I am also working to get a small glider running for my son to fly, but I didn't quite get that finished - the smallest Rx I have is a iA6 and for some reason it was not driving the servos even though it was binding ok - would love to take something he can fly too! :D

View attachment 168867
YAY

Marty72

Elite member
@Marty72 - I have been 3D printing spinners which have worked very well - my Spitfire spinner in this thread is a printed one.

View attachment 165909 View attachment 165910 View attachment 165911
Sorry, I missed your post. Very nice, I'd like to have a printer. Looks better than the store bought ones. I'm building another Spit, this one is going to be painted for visibility. I struggle with the current one, so using what I've learned, I see if I can't solve my orientation problems.

Marty72

Elite member
So here it is, the orientation experiment Spit. Maiden planned for tomorrow morning, let's see if I can see this one. ha!

I know that yellow has been great on low visibility days with my other planes. ( Looks like I didn't post this yesterday, it was never sent.)

So the maiden was this morning and was the best one yet, perfect blue skies, calm winds and the plane performed perfectly. I ran 5 batteries through it and never once had a question about orientation. This plane flies better than the camo version. I believe the reason is I put too much throw in the control surfaces of camo version. Because of this, I had to fly it in low rates (flying at 50% of throw). I made the control surfaces to spec this time and was able to use the hi rates comfortable. The control is better as I've got better resolution. This is now my favorite plane, hands down!

IMG_2467.JPG

I posted this on the scratch build post but wanted to add another one to to the list on this thread.. Will maiden with a 2836 and 9x6 prop.

View attachment 169183
Looking good. Remember, maiden rules.....do a preflight check out at the site. Next get it up high, trim it out, get a feel for it, and get it down safely.

DazDaMan

Elite member
Eventually I’ll have to get around to giving this fella its maiden voyage. My daughter said “shark teeth”, so I added shark teeth. To my knowledge that was not View attachment 167942 very popular on spitfires but hey, I don’t expect the nose to survive many flights anyways!

More popular on Australian Spitfires than others, but there were some in the UK and US air forces, too. Just not very many!