'SPIT' roasted FB

danskis

Master member
I'm done, I'll maiden next week. More over at the Master Spitfire thread.

Way more work than the standard build, for me at least.

View attachment 175449

Thats one sweet ride.....as to be expected. What kinda ponies under the hood? Airbrush or rattle can? Yeah on the F6F you assemble the "skeleton" just like the speed build kit but you "fit" the skin with little adjustments here and there (after you figure out how to roll it of course). Its a totally different mindset.

Tr33s

I’m still building my Frankenstein Spit. After a few flights where the entire front of the fuse ripped away I’m sticking with the initial build. But, I’m adding the Aura 5 Liite. It’s becoming quite the monster and now also gets a magnetic canopy for access. In the meantime there’s a couple of balsa builds happening.

Attachments

• 51512001-2477-44D2-AD8E-FFE7B0EFA4CC.jpeg
    51512001-2477-44D2-AD8E-FFE7B0EFA4CC.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 7C655833-AC86-47E5-BE82-211BEF7B85E4.jpeg
    7C655833-AC86-47E5-BE82-211BEF7B85E4.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • F0B3DCB8-E591-4E35-A647-2CBFCA3D2BBA.jpeg
    F0B3DCB8-E591-4E35-A647-2CBFCA3D2BBA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Marty72

Elite member
Here's my take on the MS Spit vs std FT Spit (D. Windestal). I've only gotten one flight on the MS, and there are a lot of things I can do to get the performance up but it's no Windestal Spitfire.

It's slow and floating compared to the std version. Honestly, the best I can hope for is to get it to fly as well as the std version. So bang for the buck (or in this case time spent building), the std version is a better flying plane, period! It requires less expensive batteries, motor and is a snap to build. It's easier to transport too.

Now if you just love to build sophisticated fb planes, the Master version is for you. Yes, if you spend a lot of time at it and are good, it does look better than the std version. It has a better presence in the sky, but requires a lot more power to go. The 3536 Rimfire 1200 w/ 10x7 on 3s smokes a C pack with a 4s and my 3536 on 3s set up came up short today. I'll be flying the 4s next time to see if that gets it going.

mayan

Legendary member
Here's my take on the MS Spit vs std FT Spit (D. Windestal). I've only gotten one flight on the MS, and there are a lot of things I can do to get the performance up but it's no Windestal Spitfire.

It's slow and floating compared to the std version. Honestly, the best I can hope for is to get it to fly as well as the std version. So bang for the buck (or in this case time spent building), the std version is a better flying plane, period! It requires less expensive batteries, motor and is a snap to build. It's easier to transport too.

Now if you just love to build sophisticated fb planes, the Master version is for you. Yes, if you spend a lot of time at it and are good, it does look better than the std version. It has a better presence in the sky, but requires a lot more power to go. The 3536 Rimfire 1200 w/ 10x7 on 3s smokes a C pack with a 4s and my 3536 on 3s set up came up short today. I'll be flying the 4s next time to see if that gets it going.
Couldn’t agree more :).

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am not but and haven’t yet built any of his models, should try one sometime.
I would really recommend it. There are some design tricks and really good skills to be learned from his designs. Try his P-47. Not only is it a good looking scale bird for the size, but the skin panels are smaller and easier to work with. I have built 2 versions of the p-47 so far, one mini and one at 125% to accommodate a 2212 (B pack). I have flown the 125% version and it is a dream. If you like the way the STD FT-Spitfire flies, then try this model. I have also done his FW190 in both the mini and 120% version of these as a build but haven't flown them yet. But building them was an awesome experience from a design and build sense. Let me know if you are interested and i will hook you up with some plans.

I did try to get @Marty72 to build one but it got back burnered for the MS Spit he has built recently. I hope he continues with it because he wouldn't be disappointed for sure.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I will suggest that if you plan to upscale this model, build the model at its original size first to understand the build. Even if you dont want a mini size it will help you know what you need to do for an upscaled version. You dont have to put any electronics in it and it will only take 1.5-2 sheets of FB max. I think thats where @Marty72 might have lost interest because he tried on his first go to upscale like i did on my second one and might have lost interest due to complications in scaling.

I intend to use my mini but i am so happy i built it first. It just makes the process so much easier. Especially if you havent scaled a model before. Just a heads up

mayan

Legendary member
I will suggest that if you plan to upscale this model, build the model at its original size first to understand the build. Even if you dont want a mini size it will help you know what you need to do for an upscaled version. You dont have to put any electronics in it and it will only take 1.5-2 sheets of FB max. I think thats where @Marty72 might have lost interest because he tried on his first go to upscale like i did on my second one and might have lost interest due to complications in scaling.

I intend to use my mini but i am so happy i built it first. It just makes the process so much easier. Especially if you havent scaled a model before. Just a heads up
Thanks for the heads up!