'SPIT' roasted FB

danskis

Master member
Well yeah.....the wife cleaned out the garage and got rid of my special 2X4s so I just grabbed something that looked like it would work....It just happened to be the Flexible Flyer

danskis

Master member
Well the Spit was flying great and I was really getting comfortable with it. Then the wing folded at about 50 feet. The wing was held on by rubber bands and I'm wondering if it has been glued to the fuselage it wouldn't have folded. Hard to say...I need a forensic engineer. Below is a recreation and not the original flying site.

dead Spit.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
I wonder if the rubber band launches could have weakened the wing a tad - you can see some flex going on - on another note, I have always glued my wings (but I might be in the minority)! :)

danskis

Master member
It's possible the high start launches contributed to the wings folding but I think its more likely that the removable wings are just a little weaker without being glued to the fuselage. On the plus side I didn't break the prop. No idea how that happened.

BoredGuy

Looks painful
But looking at it from this perspective, I just noticed that the wings look like they are the high altitude spitfire wings with pointed wingtips instead of the standard elliptical wings.

danskis

Master member
About the crash. Well it's built according to plan so it is what it is. Thinking about it overnight I now remember that I botched the spar when building it and pieced it together as best I could - but obviously not good enough. I'm sure this is what caused the failure.

Marty72

Elite member
I've been away from this thread for awhile, a lot has happened. Sorry about the Spit, Danskis. The good news it is pretty quick and easy to make a new one, especially if you kept the templates. I don't feel that way about the Master Series.

I made an update to the Master Spitfire Thread, I'm much, much happier with the Master Spitfire, as it turns out, it was just horribly under powered (imo). I can't imagine a C pack flying that plane. Anyway, I put a 3542 1080 Leopard motor on, 11x7 prop and ran with 3s and 4s. Both work really well. I now need bigger mah batteries ...ha. With the huge motor, it flies as well as the Ft Spit (regular) with a tad more stability. I've got more props coming, I'm going to try several different props. I stand by my statement earlier, bang for the buck, the regular FT Spitfire is better. Much cheaper to fly, quicker and easier to build. The Master needs bigger batteries, motors and props to fly like the original (not mention a lot of patience to build).

Battle: As far as the Miniac P 47, 125%, I did start that back up, it's nearly ready for paint. The scaling does require one to do more hand fitting and advanced thought. With that said, at 125%, you could probably ignore the extra 25% foam width and still be ok, I just didn't want to do that. It is easier than the Master Series build, both designs have pluses and minuses. I just really wanted to do the MS Spitfire and after I shaped a few pieces of the Miniac, I thought I was ready for the Master Series Spit.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Starting another Spit today.
I personally don't like relying on just a foam spar, I either add a 6mm cf strip or use 2 layers 1/64" plywood sandwiched inbetween the foam. Nice part about the plywood is you can usually find it in 2 foot lengths and the big bonus is you can cut it with the scissors.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I personally don't like relying on just a foam spar, I either add a 6mm cf strip or use 2 layers 1/64" plywood sandwiched inbetween the foam. Nice part about the plywood is you can usually find it in 2 foot lengths and the big bonus is you can cut it with the scissors.
I was going to say the opposite, that I usually only use foam for my spars, and then I remembered that I broke mine on my spitfire, so yes - a popsicle stock or something would help. I did however mess up my spar on the build and accidentally broke it before installing it, and also mine saw a number of crashes, so if you treat yours better than I did, you might not have a need for more support. Anyways, it only adds a couple grams of weight and might save you headaches later.

Marty72

Elite member
Can't hurt to add a wood spar but I've had zero issue with the 3 Spits I've built. (oh BTW, I never got that spar over lap to work correctly, must be an error in my template making). I attached all the wings halves together, using the P 40 video built technique. (Packing tape is really strong in tension. ) One of my spits has over 75 flights. I do think it's a good idea, just don't go over board. ha.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Can't hurt to add a wood spar but I've had zero issue with the 3 Spits I've built. (oh BTW, I never got that spar over lap to work correctly, must be an error in my template making). I attached all the wings halves together, using the P 40 video built technique. (Packing tape is really strong in tension. ) One of my spits has over 75 flights. I do think it's a good idea, just don't go over board. ha.
I always tend to over do it but better safe then sorry. :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - where do you source your plywood and I'll be backing up the foam spar with some bbq skewers on this one. I think the template for the Spit might be wrong in that the long sides are both on the front or back.
You should be able to find it at your hobby store , usually the ones that sell balsa and such usually have the hobby grade plywood at different thicknesses.

Flyingshark

Master member
On the standard Spitfire plans, the two spars aren't quite right. They're mirrors of each other, but they should be exactly the same so that they mesh properly. I ended up cutting two right wing spars and didn't have any problems.

chris398mx

Master member

Yes, the plans are wrong. I tried to get them to correct them last year without success. You need to cut 2 rights or 2 lefts and they will slide together properly. Below is one of the pictures I took showing the problem
1597100584770.png