'SPIT' roasted FB

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's a cheap flash hobby 3536 , 1450, only $20. Will see how much speed I can get.

Speaking of speed, you can get more from your ms spit with a 3542 1200 w/ a 11x5.5 prop. It's a stable rocket. Love the MS.

Thanks for the comments.

I joined a club about 25 minutes away, great field but it gets wet (low lands). The landing strip is awesome, smooth fine grass, works great for wheels and belly landings. Bad weather here so I don't think the field will be ready for at least a couple of weeks..
I was looking at an 11x6x3 for the Spit... but i completely dusted it today. Many pieces no coming back. The power pack lives to go into a new Mustang. Stay tuned

Marty72

Elite member
Sorry to hear that. What in the world? Anyway, the 2 planes are probably pretty close in performance. Here's the second motor I put in the Spitfire, a Flash Hobby 3542 1250 ($21Amazon) w/ 10x5.5. I tried a 10x7 and noticed no improvement, so I went back the more less power hungry 5.5. I had a Leopard 3542 1200 kv, but it burned up. Not sure why, 60 amp esc. The magnets became unglued (postmortem), during flight while doing a loop, it made what appeared to be a contrail. I did another loop and it was even heavier, so I landed. It was smoked, stunk to high heavens. I had plenty of warning, the motor got noises several flights before this but performed well, so I figured I'd get running it until it blew.

I pretty much save my larger Spit for the club field for 4s flying now. The nearby location, I use the smaller ft Warbirds. I'll be going to larger planes w/ gear now that I have a field with a great landing strip. I'll be buying some planes and would imagine I'll be trying balsa at some point (like you have). I bought a Timber X (1.2) , on sale, great price and I've been practicing landing and take offs with that in preparation for buying a 1.2 or 1.5 meter warbird. Without the quality strip at the new flying field, I wouldn't being going this route. I love the way warbirds fly, I'm not a 3 D guy, just doesn't interest me (not sure why). The high wing flying doesn't do it for me either. I think I'm headed towards faster planes and at some point, I'm sure I'll get a jet. I also prefer the larger planes, I feel they fly better and are way easier to see and keep orientation.

I'm starting to have a plane problem, too many of them in the house and garage (but I still want more). I can't seem to throw away the ones that look great but were a bit disappointing as fliers (like the 42 inch Zero). I've got 8 active (w/ motor, esc and receiver) planes, six are FT/MS planes, and the other two are Timbers, UMX and X 1.2. I have probably another 8 bodies hanging around that could be flown.

To me, the MS Spitfire and FT Spitfire are by far the best flying FB planes I've built. They are fast, efficient and fly beautifully. The MS plane was very frustrating to build the first time, the second one was not. I knew what to expect and it went much better. Not easy, but not frustrating like the first build. For me, the frustration was due to all the work to get a section formed/shaped and put together perfectly, only to wrinkle it up trying to glue the sections together.

I'd build the MS Mustang too but my experience with belly landing the FT Mustang ( the air duct on the bottom) have not been good. I was going to ask you for pictures and more info on your landing gear (MS Spit). It looked really good (before you blew it all to hell).
Perhaps then I could build the Mustang w/ gear.

sorry, long post.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sorry to hear that. What in the world? Anyway, the 2 planes are probably pretty close in performance. Here's the second motor I put in the Spitfire, a Flash Hobby 3542 1250 ($21Amazon) w/ 10x5.5. I tried a 10x7 and noticed no improvement, so I went back the more less power hungry 5.5. I had a Leopard 3542 1200 kv, but it burned up. Not sure why, 60 amp esc. The magnets became unglued (postmortem), during flight while doing a loop, it made what appeared to be a contrail. I did another loop and it was even heavier, so I landed. It was smoked, stunk to high heavens. I had plenty of warning, the motor got noises several flights before this but performed well, so I figured I'd get running it until it blew.

I pretty much save my larger Spit for the club field for 4s flying now. The nearby location, I use the smaller ft Warbirds. I'll be going to larger planes w/ gear now that I have a field with a great landing strip. I'll be buying some planes and would imagine I'll be trying balsa at some point (like you have). I bought a Timber X (1.2) , on sale, great price and I've been practicing landing and take offs with that in preparation for buying a 1.2 or 1.5 meter warbird. Without the quality strip at the new flying field, I wouldn't being going this route. I love the way warbirds fly, I'm not a 3 D guy, just doesn't interest me (not sure why). The high wing flying doesn't do it for me either. I think I'm headed towards faster planes and at some point, I'm sure I'll get a jet. I also prefer the larger planes, I feel they fly better and are way easier to see and keep orientation.

I'm starting to have a plane problem, too many of them in the house and garage (but I still want more). I can't seem to throw away the ones that look great but were a bit disappointing as fliers (like the 42 inch Zero). I've got 8 active (w/ motor, esc and receiver) planes, six are FT/MS planes, and the other two are Timbers, UMX and X 1.2. I have probably another 8 bodies hanging around that could be flown.

To me, the MS Spitfire and FT Spitfire are by far the best flying FB planes I've built. They are fast, efficient and fly beautifully. The MS plane was very frustrating to build the first time, the second one was not. I knew what to expect and it went much better. Not easy, but not frustrating like the first build. For me, the frustration was due to all the work to get a section formed/shaped and put together perfectly, only to wrinkle it up trying to glue the sections together.

I'd build the MS Mustang too but my experience with belly landing the FT Mustang ( the air duct on the bottom) have not been good. I was going to ask you for pictures and more info on your landing gear (MS Spit). It looked really good (before you blew it all to hell).

sorry, long post.
You know what, you kinda cracked my up with that post - you're having the same issues as I am... :LOL: I keep getting planes and building them, and always have more I want to get, however my space is bursting to the seams with planes. Most of the planes need electronics, but you know, they still have flights left in them so I can't bear to throw them away... I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

sorry, long post.
I will be putting gear on the Mustang, improved over the Spitfire gear. I had the same scoop concern for any of the Mustangs before, so I never built one. The gear sits further apart then on the Spit so the landing should be easier, and i will use different wire then what I had. I will post you some pics when I get to that part.

I have recently gone through a cleansing and as of right now i have one flyable plane, the 3D. Kinda the opposite of where I was last year, all planes and no components. Now I have a bunch of components and no planes lol.

Marty72

Elite member
I will be putting gear on the Mustang, improved over the Spitfire gear. I had the same scoop concern for any of the Mustangs before, so I never built one. The gear sits further apart then on the Spit so the landing should be easier, and i will use different wire then what I had. I will post you some pics when I get to that part.

I have recently gone through a cleansing and as of right now i have one flyable plane, the 3D. Kinda the opposite of where I was last year, all planes and no components. Now I have a bunch of components and no planes lol.

Yeah, I'd really like to see what you do with the gear. I'd wouldn't mind seeing pics of the old Spit gear if you have them.

I took the two of the Ft Spits out to the nearby field to maiden and do some testing. No issues with the maiden, ran 3s, 9x6 and 10x5 prop (3536 1450), couldn't tell and difference in top speed, but I think the 10x5 is better (but likely uses more power). I also ran the (99 flights) spit (about to be retired) on the C pack, 9x6, 4s. Again, no noticeable increase in speed. Different characteristics but I think I prefer the 10x5 3S 3536 1450. I really still prefer the Rimfire 3536 1200 w/ 10x7 over all of them. Just a great power band, smooth, strong all the way. I don't think I'm comparing apples to apples when comparing the Rimfire Outrunner to the inexpensive Flash Hobby. I don't know for sure, I have not bought a 3536 1200 FH, that is the only way to really know.

I also think that I've found the knee in the curve for this plane, speed-wise. Aero drag is proportional to velocity squared, so a some point, the amount of power to go faster isn't reasonable. I've found a good power for this plane and I'm happy with that. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't leaving anything on the table.

As far as your managing of your hanger, I get the impression your planes have short lives due to the ground slamming into them. (joke). I still can't believe you destroyed your MS Spit. What where you doing?

It's pretty easy for me to throw away planes I've crashed, I find it difficult when I've never crashed them. The Spit (mentioned above) has 99 flight, no crashes. It's the longest any of my planes has lived without looking ratty. Perhaps it should get in one more flight!

OH, BTW, if anyone is wondering. The Yellow is awesome in the air.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah, I'd really like to see what you do with the gear. I'd wouldn't mind seeing pics of the old Spit gear if you have them.

I took the two of the Ft Spits out to the nearby field to maiden and do some testing. No issues with the maiden, ran 3s, 9x6 and 10x5 prop (3536 1450), couldn't tell and difference in top speed, but I think the 10x5 is better (but likely uses more power). I also ran the (99 flights) spit (about to be retired) on the C pack, 9x6, 4s. Again, no noticeable increase in speed. Different characteristics but I think I prefer the 10x5 3S 3536 1450. I really still prefer the Rimfire 3536 1200 w/ 10x7 over all of them. Just a great power band, smooth, strong all the way. I don't think I'm comparing apples to apples when comparing the Rimfire Outrunner to the inexpensive Flash Hobby. I don't know for sure, I have not bought a 3536 1200 FH, that is the only way to really know.

I also think that I've found the knee in the curve for this plane, speed-wise. Aero drag is proportional to velocity squared, so a some point, the amount of power to go faster isn't reasonable. I've found a good power for this plane and I'm happy with that. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't leaving anything on the table.

As far as your managing of your hanger, I get the impression your planes have short lives due to the ground slamming into them. (joke). I still can't believe you destroyed your MS Spit. What where you doing?

It's pretty easy for me to throw away planes I've crashed, I find it difficult when I've never crashed them. The Spit (mentioned above) has 99 flight, no crashes. It's the longest any of my planes has lived without looking ratty. Perhaps it should get in one more flight!

OH, BTW, if anyone is wondering. The Yellow is awesome in the air.
I will get you some pics of the gear set up I had. Wasnt really much different from what FT has done on some of the other planes as far as the bent music wire glued into the bottom of the wing. Inside the wing is a panel of ply just to carry the load evenly between the two spars.

I like the 4s side of power on the MS models, the Spit amazed me as soon as it was airborne. The Mustang is getting the same combo. I did go through a bunch of planes lately but i regularly build too. Some of the recent ones were simple one to two day builds, some experimental, some i wrecked right away, and a couple were old ones that i had around 80 or so flights on. So yeah I did clean out the herd some, but now i have a crap ton of electronics to play with for new stuff. The Spit was to bad but it makes room for the new Stang so not all is lost and i stay busy building.

that Rimfire 1200 is so nice on the 4s, i am using a 10x5 on a 50 amp ESC. Did a bench test and found it pulled less then 40 amps, 37 i believe. I would like to try an 11x6x3 on the Stang to see what happens, not that it is needed.

You say you have a nice field to fly at that is close, what requirements do you need to join up there?

Marty72

Elite member
You say you have a nice field to fly at that is close, what requirements do you need to join up there?

Ama license and money. The field is low and gets soaked, we need it to stop snowing/raining. I joined another club last year but hated the site, hardly ever went, did not renew. I hated the runway, it was hard and bumpy. Not good for gear or belly landings. The new site has short, fine grass. This time I was smart, I went as guest three times before I joined. You need an AMA license to be a guest at all AMA fields.

The Rimfires are great. I may start using them for my Master Series builds and run 4S only. I wouldn't dream of running the MS planes on anything less than 4S, but that's me. I like my planes to have punch and climb like a rocket. As I've gotten more experience, I've become addicted to speed.

Good data to have on the 40amps. I've been running 40 amps esc(s) on the rimfire (3s) without issue. Hundreds and hundreds of flights. I run a 60 amp for my MS Spitfire. I'm also running a bigger prop and a bigger motor, 3542 1250 on 4S. That plane hauls butt. I need to fly at the site when a member has a radar gun and get a speed (for my own reference).

How did the Balsa effort turn out? I saw a few videos on it, but I don't know what you've done with that. What's your opinion of the balsa?

I've pulled some more planes I'm not using and removed the servos and control rods. Now they can go in the trash.

The FT and Master Spitfires are both great. I wasn't a Spitfire fan, until I built one. The Mustang is cool, but the Scoop is a buzz kill. The P40 is awesome but a bit slow, great trainer though. I'm hoping for some more Master series builds to be released. Big fields cries out for big planes.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
3542 1250 on 4S. That plane hauls butt.
On the MS Spit you are doin better then I was, what size of prop?
How did the Balsa effort turn out? I saw a few videos on it, but I don't know what you've done with that. What's your opinion of the balsa?
I would say she turned out really nice...
20201207_154544.jpg
20201207_154440.jpg

But I haven't flown it yet, gonna wait for sprig probably. I would like to build more, although it is more of an investment, there will be more in the future for sure. I really like balsa builds as a medium to hone new skills on. Now that the flying skills have somewhat caught up to the building skills, and honestly I am kinda getting bored with FB for now, but its good to have done one. I think I just went from the frying pan to the fire with the hobby addiction, there is a list of builds I would like to do in balsa. Even though I have flown a good variety of planes, i would like one of each type in balsa. Next build I would like a warbird. The list also contains a STOL high wing, a Stick of some sort, a 3D plane (not sure how long that would last). I would like to try liquid fuel planes, oh and an EDF at some point but i might try that first on FB, maybe a forum members design.

I would highly suggest trying a kit, even if it was just a passing thought. It is an experience and I really cant wait to fly it. Building it became consuming to a point, in a good way. You get in the zone and you just addicted to the next step. Always wanting to see what it would look like with this or that added. If you have time and aren't in a hurry to build it compared to a FB model, it is a perfect side project. Some build faster then others. Mine would be considered a fast build and it took me a couple weeks for the first time. I am sure once you get a couple of these under your belt you would whip one off in a week or less depending on size. Other kits get quite involved, not only in size but in detail as well so they could take longer. They look amazing though.

The Mustang is cool, but the Scoop is a buzz kill.
It was the one thing holding me back for the longest time as well. This is the first one I have built to fly. The first one i did was my first FT kit, the mini Mustang, just to try out building a kit, not for electronics. I still have it too, sitting on the China cabinet.

Now that I am decently confident in take offs and landings on wheels the intake on the Mustang doesn't worry me. And watching some flight vid of the MS, I had to build it. The Spitfire, although a shelf queen for the longest time, sat for a year and it was loose and rattled in places it was just a matter of time. I am surprised it survived the maiden, never mind what i did to it.

Big fields cries out for big planes.
Hey you did build the @MiniacRC P-47 right?
I was thinking of doing one at 200%, 48" WS. Double up on the formers, wooden spar. Could be a great MS size plane and look awesome too, better then maybe the MS P-47. You could do the same to the FW190... that would be an awesome speed plane at 200% with your 3542 1250 on 4S. You could make it so light as well

Marty72

Elite member
Very cool, looks great. I like it a lot. I think I'm going to be trying the balsa next. Like I said, I want bigger planes w/ gear and I know how to fly now. The flying is second nature, the orientation is still work for me, but much better. I want to build bigger but bigger requires stiffer materials than fb in my opinion. The FB was a great place to start but I just don't see many planes I want to build anymore. The MS series is really what I see for me going forward, but the P 47 is not going to fly as well (fast) as the Spit. I feel the same about the Corsair. The Mustang will but needs gear. I keep hoping John is allowed to release some more of his MS planes, he's got dozens and dozens. A 109 or 190 would be a lot of fun to build.

Yes, I built the Miniac Rc, 30 inch 125%. I wait and see how that works for you.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Miniac RC Mighty Mini P 47 Thunderbolt Scratch Build | FliteTest Forum

Like a small plane, fast but a bit squirrelly It was exciting to fly, but I never got the handling sorted out like I thought I would. Still have it.
It did get going pretty quick once you got the CG forward, but yea it doesnt fly like a big plane. However at 200% it might, still wont be as fast as the Spit but they do look cool. I think the FW190 would be fast plane, has the same profile as the Seafury.

You said you were looking into bigger planes, a warbird I imagine. What size? WS?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just ordered the eflite P 47 1.2M, going to run that with 4s. When I get that one nailed down, I'll probably get the eflite P 51 1.5M plane, a 6S plane. Yes, I could probably go straight to the 6S P 51 but I've chosen to progressively work my way there.
My buddy found a used FMS 1500 P-47 and bought it. I’m doing some trading with him so now it’s mine! I’ve gone through it, fixed the retracts, reattached the nose, done filler and sanding, and more paint. All that’s left to add is an elevator servo and re-hinging the flaps. Here’s a pic:
19DF936A-1EF0-48D6-8140-B72ED91143EC.jpeg

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My buddy found a used FMS 1500 P-47 and bought it. I’m doing some trading with him so now it’s mine! I’ve gone through it, fixed the retracts, reattached the nose, done filler and sanding, and more paint. All that’s left to add is an elevator servo and re-hinging the elevator. Here’s a pic:
View attachment 188961
That looks sweet man, how big is it? Looks to be 50 or so. Lights too, look at the fancy pants on this guy

Are those the flaps hangin off the bottom?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That looks sweet man, how big is it? Looks to be 50 or so. Lights too, look at the fancy pants on this guy

Are those the flaps hangin off the bottom?
Thanks man! It’s a 1500mm so about 60”. I had a lot of fun getting it back to functional actually, the retracts required quite a bit of trouble shooting and work to get them to function properly but the end result was very rewarding. Yes, those are the flaps hanging - I realized in my last post I said rehinge the elevator - I meant flaps. What do you think, should I make a video on it talking about what all I did to it?

Marty72

Elite member
My buddy found a used FMS 1500 P-47 and bought it. I’m doing some trading with him so now it’s mine! I’ve gone through it, fixed the retracts, reattached the nose, done filler and sanding, and more paint. All that’s left to add is an elevator servo and re-hinging the flaps. Here’s a pic:
View attachment 188961
That's a great find! Very cool

Order update
As it turned out, I had some trouble with the order for the p 47 (48 inch) plane, and cancelled it. The online retailer was sketchy (never dealt w/ them before) and I found out they didn't have it in stock after much effort......long story. I went down to the LHS and bought the P 51 (48 inch) version instead. Yes, the p 47 is a bit easier to fly but I really prefer the faster plane, p 51. It has retracts and all the bells and whistles. The price was the same no matter where I bought it, so I figured I'd go pick it up from an LHS. I've been waiting for a sale but it doesn't look like that's going to happen this year due to the covid supply problems everywhere. E-flite P-51D Mustang 1.2m BNF Basic with AS3X and SAFE Select | Horizon Hobby I don't use safe but I do put it on a switch. It's nice for visibility/orientation emergencies or handing the controls to another pilot. For me, this is a club only plane. At this point, my master series, Timber X and E flite P51 are my club planes. All 4s.

It will probably be a month or so before I maiden the new eflite P51. I want to be at the top of my game when I maiden it. I need a couple of good Club sessions first, practicing landings at the club field with the Timber X. When I say practice, I mean every possible landing scenario you can think of. Full flaps, half flaps, no flaps, steep, shallow, ect. Yes, I can do beautiful soft landings with the Timber X but a bought warbird is going to be tougher to land than an FT warbird for sure. I'm trying to dial in my skills, so I don't destroy a pricey plane on the maiden landing. I think I'll be fine, but I'd rather over prepare. That's my choice, others do differently.

I think I'm going to keep the gear off my Master series Spitfire (s). The new field is so smooth, with fine, low grass that it's very kind to belly landing a plane. The Master series Spit flies great (favorite plane to fly) as a belly lander. It is amazingly easy to land at this field. I literally cut the throttle completely as I'm ending my turn to final approach. I guide the plane in, dead stick, and it glides forever. It's quite graceful and clean and does not damage (on like the other field). I'll have to get someone to video it next time. I'm now doing low passes on the strip and that's a lot of fun (takes some practice). Fun Fact: With the proper power set up, the MS Spit is significantly faster than the Ft Spit. A lot less drag, you can see the difference with level dead stick flying.

I've come around to liking Club flying, I didn't like the club experience I had last year. You need to find the right club, right field. I recommend you fly as a guest a few time before deciding to join, I didn't do that last year and regretted it.

BTW, Chris did a beautiful job on his MS Mustang....check out the video on youtube.