'SPIT' roasted FB

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's a great find! Very cool

Order update
As it turned out, I had some trouble with the order for the p 47 (48 inch) plane, and cancelled it. The online retailer was sketchy (never dealt w/ them before) and I found out they didn't have it in stock after much effort......long story. I went down to the LHS and bought the P 51 (48 inch) version instead. Yes, the p 47 is a bit easier to fly but I really prefer the faster plane, p 51. It has retracts and all the bells and whistles. The price was the same no matter where I bought it, so I figured I'd go pick it up from an LHS. I've been waiting for a sale but it doesn't look like that's going to happen this year due to the covid supply problems everywhere. E-flite P-51D Mustang 1.2m BNF Basic with AS3X and SAFE Select | Horizon Hobby I don't use safe but I do put it on a switch. It's nice for visibility/orientation emergencies or handing the controls to another pilot. For me, this is a club only plane. At this point, my master series, Timber X and E flite P51 are my club planes. All 4s.

It will probably be a month or so before I maiden the new eflite P51. I want to be at the top of my game when I maiden it. I need a couple of good Club sessions first, practicing landings at the club field with the Timber X. When I say practice, I mean every possible landing scenario you can think of. Full flaps, half flaps, no flaps, steep, shallow, ect. Yes, I can do beautiful soft landings with the Timber X but a bought warbird is going to be tougher to land than an FT warbird for sure. I'm trying to dial in my skills, so I don't destroy a pricey plane on the maiden landing. I think I'll be fine, but I'd rather over prepare. That's my choice, others do differently.

I think I'm going to keep the gear off my Master series Spitfire (s). The new field is so smooth, with fine, low grass that it's very kind to belly landing a plane. The Master series Spit flies great (favorite plane to fly) as a belly lander. It is amazingly easy to land at this field. I literally cut the throttle completely as I'm ending my turn to final approach. I guide the plane in, dead stick, and it glides forever. It's quite graceful and clean and does not damage (on like the other field). I'll have to get someone to video it next time. I'm now doing low passes on the strip and that's a lot of fun (takes some practice). Fun Fact: With the proper power set up, the MS Spit is significantly faster than the Ft Spit. A lot less drag, you can see the difference with level dead stick flying.

I've come around to liking Club flying, I didn't like the club experience I had last year. You need to find the right club, right field. I recommend you fly as a guest a few time before deciding to join, I didn't do that last year and regretted it.

BTW, Chris did a beautiful job on his MS Mustang....check out the video on youtube.
So happy to hear you found a good flying space, and I also am jealous of your Mustang. Looks like a sweet unit, it has AS3X so the maiden should be easy, might maiden itself. Thanks for the shout out, Maybe one day i will make it to your club to fly with ya

Marty72

Elite member
So happy to hear you found a good flying space, and I also am jealous of your Mustang. Looks like a sweet unit, it has AS3X so the maiden should be easy, might maiden itself. Thanks for the shout out, Maybe one day i will make it to your club to fly with ya

Yeah, sure. You know how to reach me. The SAFE could be used to take off and land, not sure I'd recommend it. AS3X does help with wind and such.

Here's a picture, for real proof. I know how the forums go. p 51.jpg

Alright, this doesn't really below in the Spit thread.

TenienteDan

Sooo here is where people talk about Spitfires?? :D.

Let me tell my story with the Spitfire I maidened today :).

So basically, this is my 5th build. I have done and flown a non flite test foam cub like plane, the scout, the FT-Alpha and the mini mustang.

Spitfire has always been my favourite WW2 warbird. And I didn't built it until now because I wanted it to be my perfect build.
I made a several modifications to the build.
- Removable hatch
- Custom cockpit
- Retractable Landing gear
- Curved the wings as in the master series

It has been the build that I have done more slowly as I wanted every detail to be perfect .

And I maiden it today. And to be honest it wasn't that bad but I had two big issues.

- The wire with the wheels twisted because I basically messed up the screws that hold the wire (the wire rotates). I know this would happen and It's probably fixable.
- The right wing became thicker and with a bit more dihedral than the other wing... so it produces much more lift than the left wing. This is due to the internal parts to accommodate the retracts, that were not exactly the same in each side (big mistake).

The result of this was pretty depressing because the plane was banking left a lot and I had to use the trimmer almost all the way to the right, making the aileron 3-5º angled and making the plane fly a bit awkward. It's really sad as otherwise the plane flies amazingly. Being used to the mini-mustang, I love how the Spitfire floats in the air at low speed.

Right now I'm debating if trying to amend the current wings and landing gear (but I'm not sure if I will be able to reduce the lift of the right wing) or just build other wings withou retracts.

I probably have bored you already... so the interesting part, some pics and small vid of the maiden :). (It's actually very noticeable in the take off how she banks to the left due to the thicker right wing)

Attachments

• 1d60f54f-9681-4628-9607-61df156e1840.jpg
    1d60f54f-9681-4628-9607-61df156e1840.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 64dd633a-223e-4f9f-b56c-93bfee249f11.jpg
    64dd633a-223e-4f9f-b56c-93bfee249f11.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 88c687e4-70ff-4e06-ad1f-00762bc5f2e8.jpg
    88c687e4-70ff-4e06-ad1f-00762bc5f2e8.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 9330c5df-2857-4643-a991-ffe9bec434de.jpg
    9330c5df-2857-4643-a991-ffe9bec434de.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 267226df-68db-43e3-bd03-9402d13ad925.jpg
    267226df-68db-43e3-bd03-9402d13ad925.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bd70ceb4-ea76-4aba-bf31-b33715652b0b.jpg
    bd70ceb4-ea76-4aba-bf31-b33715652b0b.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 0
  • e41949dc-5813-42ce-991b-69bbbe4e9737.jpg
    e41949dc-5813-42ce-991b-69bbbe4e9737.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ec1ad20d-d93f-4049-a1b3-6f234f494e41.jpg
    ec1ad20d-d93f-4049-a1b3-6f234f494e41.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
I’ve built 3 spits and each one got better than the last- I liked the plane that much l decided it was worth it. My only MS series plane so far is the 13squedron F6F. I painted it and detailed it how I wanted but being my first MS plane it needs a lot of trim and flys wonky. I’ll just live with it because it looks cool flying. You can make the folded wing round just take the paper off the front part of the inside and mold it on the front of the table. It’s possible to have the wings fold in flight so throw a reinforcement in there

TenienteDan

I’ve built 3 spits and each one got better than the last- I liked the plane that much l decided it was worth it. My only MS series plane so far is the 13squedron F6F. I painted it and detailed it how I wanted but being my first MS plane it needs a lot of trim and flys wonky. I’ll just live with it because it looks cool flying. You can make the folded wing round just take the paper off the front part of the inside and mold it on the front of the table. It’s possible to have the wings fold in flight so throw a reinforcement in there

Thanks for the tips. I actually made that to get rounded wings, peeled the inside and bended the foam with the edge of the table, as John does with the Master Series.

My main issue was that when I installed the retracts, I made one of the wings leading edge thicker than the other, so it produces more lift (this is my main assumption)

I really wanted to try retracts as I enjoy very much landing-touch and go and also I prefer the aesthetics of the plane without the gear out when flying... so I wanted to have the best of both worlds... Maybe I was too ambitious.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Yep I'm in, Already have a Spitfire(two actually , Nerdnic and FT) but would like to give it another go. Love that plane