'SPIT' roasted FB

DazDaMan

Elite member
I haven't made a start to building my Spitfire, but the decals I bought for it landed on my doormat today!

This is the colour scheme I'll be doing......
PL983 - Dover2.jpg

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I haven't made a start to building my Spitfire, but the decals I bought for it landed on my doormat today!

This is the colour scheme I'll be doing...... View attachment 199710
Nice. here is a pic of my FT Spitfire. I added machine guns and antenna, the canopy is one submitted by someone here on the forum though I can't recall who exactly, it worked out nicer than the original in the plans/kit. And I recommend doing it as a removable wing just to make life easier
IMG_20210506_162841772 (1).jpg
IMG_20210506_162841772 (1).jpg

TenienteDan

Nice. here is a pic of my FT Spitfire. I added machine guns and antenna, the canopy is one submitted by someone here on the forum though I can't recall who exactly, it worked out nicer than the original in the plans/kit. And I recommend doing it as a removable wing just to make life easier View attachment 199712 View attachment 199712
Nice one! a fellow Canadian I see! (I'm not but I live in your lovely country, thank you!)

I still need to paint mine, just added the fairings like in the master series and it looks so cool.

How do you do your decals? I don't have a printer and I was wondering if I could go to Staples and print it there in sticky paper. Now with the lockdown it's a bit more difficult.

BTW, I re-designed all decals based on some files I found in the forum. Here are the photoshop files and the PDFS so maybe somebody can use them.

Attachments

• Decals.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • decals-page2_nopic.pdf
    9.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Decals_psdfiles.zip
    9.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Nice one! a fellow Canadian I see! (I'm not but I live in your lovely country, thank you!)

I still need to paint mine, just added the fairings like in the master series and it looks so cool.

How do you do your decals? I don't have a printer and I was wondering if I could go to Staples and print it there in sticky paper. Now with the lockdown it's a bit more difficult.

BTW, I re-designed all decals based on some files I found in the forum. Here are the photoshop files and the PDFS so maybe somebody can use them.
So I work at a Sign/Vinyl shop so that helps alot, the body is wrapped in printed vinyl and then vinyl decals applied. I can't see why you couldn't do that at Staples though. I basically picked a Hi-Res camo pattern off the internet and cut pieces to match the plan pieces and then applied. Yep a Proud Canadian! If ya live here you're a Canadian too LOL! Here's a pic of my scratch built Beaver for the Bush Plane challenge here, I think it says it all.
IMG_20210413_215455750.jpg

TenienteDan

So I work at a Sign/Vinyl shop so that helps alot, the body is wrapped in printed vinyl and then vinyl decals applied. I can't see why you couldn't do that at Staples though. I basically picked a Hi-Res camo pattern off the internet and cut pieces to match the plan pieces and then applied. Yep a Proud Canadian! If ya live here you're a Canadian too LOL! Here's a pic of my scratch built Beaver for the Bush Plane challenge here, I think it says it all. View attachment 199723

Oh that explains well that slick look of your planes. I asked a vinyl shop but it was too much for just the decals.

Thanks for that Canadian hospitality! One of the reasons I like it here :p.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Oh that explains well that slick look of your planes. I asked a vinyl shop but it was too much for just the decals.

Thanks for that Canadian hospitality! One of the reasons I like it here :p.
I also have my own 30" vinyl cutter so that helps too, you need to become friends with someone that owns a Cricut LOL. Let me know if I can help in any way, shops are expensive because of the large format printers that we use so unless you are ordering some kind of quantity , I agree it gets expensive.

TenienteDan

I also have my own 30" vinyl cutter so that helps too, you need to become friends with someone that owns a Cricut LOL. Let me know if I can help in any way, shops are expensive because of the large format printers that we use so unless you are ordering some kind of quantity , I agree it gets expensive.
Oh thanks buddy!

I'll try to see what I can do in Staples when they reopen. I still need to paint the bird first :)

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
So I work at a Sign/Vinyl shop so that helps alot, the body is wrapped in printed vinyl and then vinyl decals applied. I can't see why you couldn't do that at Staples though. I basically picked a Hi-Res camo pattern off the internet and cut pieces to match the plan pieces and then applied. Yep a Proud Canadian! If ya live here you're a Canadian too LOL! Here's a pic of my scratch built Beaver for the Bush Plane challenge here, I think it says it all. View attachment 199723
did you ever release the plans for this?

The Fopster

Master member
My FT Spit had a momentary loss of control "event" and went in vertically nose first on the back of a loop. Surgery has been completed and the fourth maiden (!) will be sometime this weekend, weather permitting. I've treated it to a spinner from the spares box, and if it's back to flying beautifully I'll even repaint it. 😃
IMG_20210504_230243324~2.jpg

TenienteDan

Painting time!
This weekend I painted my Scout and started the first coats to the Spitfire.
Only thing left to do now it's painting the green camouflage and decals.

It amazes me how the paint can dramatically can change the perception of the plane. It looks now it's made of plastic and a plane bought from the shop!

Attachments

• b2e5a6bc-fc5b-4827-86d3-2b0771534c08.jpg
    b2e5a6bc-fc5b-4827-86d3-2b0771534c08.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 1

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Painting time!
This weekend I painted my Scout and started the first coats to the Spitfire.
Only thing left to do now it's painting the green camouflage and decals.

It amazes me how the paint can dramatically can change the perception of the plane. It looks now it's made of plastic and a plane bought from the shop!
Nice job!(y)(y)

DazDaMan

Elite member
So I made a bit of a start today. I popped the wings out in order to start assembling them, and also started tracing around the parts so that I have extra parts if needed!

Attachments

• FT Spit build1.jpg
    FT Spit build1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build2.jpg
    FT Spit build2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build.jpg
    FT Spit build.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0

DazDaMan

Elite member
Some progress on the wings.....

Attachments

• FT Spit build3.jpg
    FT Spit build3.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build4.jpg
    FT Spit build4.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build5.jpg
    FT Spit build5.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build6.jpg
    FT Spit build6.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build7.jpg
    FT Spit build7.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 0

TenienteDan

Nah my Spitfire was doomed from the beginning.
I am a bit sad as it is my favourite plane of all historical warbirds but it just does not fly well... it actually flies awful xD.

I think I was too ambitious trying to make too many modifications and the retracts all together. Yesterday night had to remove the retracts (because one broke testing :( ) and this morning I went to fly and the plane still have very bad tendencies. Can't get the sweet spot for the CG even with the battery as forward as I can in the powerpod or adding additional weight.

Also, it stills banks A LOT to the left and now I don't know if it could be the wing or that this motor is creating an immense amount of torque and the only way to fix would be applying some right angle on the powerpod.

Had a nose dive crash, quite hard but it was straight to the ground and only the nose got damaged and not too much.

I'm really not motivated to repair or try to fix it, I have tried so hard... I think I'm going to retire it and the next Spitfire will be the Mini. I just had so much fun with the Mini Mustang and I kind of like more the smaller planes (easier to store, transport, smaller batteries, endure crashes better and they are super fun to fly).

DazDaMan

Elite member
Some more work on my wings from yesterday....

Attachments

• FT Spit build8.jpg
    FT Spit build8.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build9.jpg
    FT Spit build9.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build11.jpg
    FT Spit build11.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Nah my Spitfire was doomed from the beginning.
I am a bit sad as it is my favourite plane of all historical warbirds but it just does not fly well... it actually flies awful xD.

I think I was too ambitious trying to make too many modifications and the retracts all together. Yesterday night had to remove the retracts (because one broke testing :( ) and this morning I went to fly and the plane still have very bad tendencies. Can't get the sweet spot for the CG even with the battery as forward as I can in the powerpod or adding additional weight.

Also, it stills banks A LOT to the left and now I don't know if it could be the wing or that this motor is creating an immense amount of torque and the only way to fix would be applying some right angle on the powerpod.

Had a nose dive crash, quite hard but it was straight to the ground and only the nose got damaged and not too much.

I'm really not motivated to repair or try to fix it, I have tried so hard... I think I'm going to retire it and the next Spitfire will be the Mini. I just had so much fun with the Mini Mustang and I kind of like more the smaller planes (easier to store, transport, smaller batteries, endure crashes better and they are super fun to fly).
Thats too bad, hopefully you'll have better success with the mini

TenienteDan

Thats too bad, hopefully you'll have better success with the mini

Thanks man. I have done 4 planes and this is my biggest "fail" as it was the plane that I put more time in but the one that flies the worst lol. But well this can happen, and I learnt a lot in the process.