'SPIT' roasted FB

bracesport

Legendary member
luckily I too could put an hour or two into the SPIT!

my first build will be pretty stock standard FB so I can learn a bit about the structure - the inspiration was the silver SPIT shown below and the first order of business was some simple silver - I painted the FB with a light silver spray and then taped the surface with some clear tape - actually it turned out pretty damn good! :LOL:

I had another quick look at the build video and started on the wings - my plan was to fold up and assemble the wings then mask the silver surfaces to spray the visible parts of the underside of the wing - in reality, I could have pre-sprayed the underside before bending and glueing (note to self for v2)! :D

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 6.22.22 PM.png
IMG_6973.JPG
IMG_6974.JPG
IMG_6975.JPG
IMG_6977.JPG
IMG_6978.JPG

sundown57

Legendary member
I was thinking about the repairs to my current planes. No big deal, just has to be done. I was thinking about modifications to designs that I want to do. Again, easily done. Then I realized it is now August. @kilroy07 bent over backwards to get us laser cut kits so we can build some Spitfires!

I've been practicing on low, straight wing aircraft. I'm ready for this! My first warbird. She's just parts in a box, and I've already got her name. She is Cherry! :)
if buzzbomb married Cherry, she'd be Cherry bomb. Great name for a plane, kinda just says it all.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb - post some pictures of the wing folded up, I am keen to know if we could fill the gap back to the TE between the root chord of the wing and the aileron?
I haven't been able to get any farther than the last pic I posted. Maybe tonight. Probably not. :(

my first build will be pretty stock standard FB so I can learn a bit about the structure - the inspiration was the silver SPIT shown below and the first order of business was some simple silver - I painted the FB with a light silver spray and then taped the surface with some clear tape - actually it turned out pretty damn good! :LOL:

I had another quick look at the build video and started on the wings - my plan was to fold up and assemble the wings then mask the silver surfaces to spray the visible parts of the underside of the wing - in reality, I could have pre-sprayed the underside before bending and glueing (note to self for v2)! :D

View attachment 137865 View attachment 137866 View attachment 137867 View attachment 137868 View attachment 137869 View attachment 137870
The tape over the silver was a great idea! It looks metallic!

bracesport

Legendary member
Some more progress - folded up the fuse and I have to say the FT system for these types of builds is very good, albeit a tad boxy - I guess that’s where the master series kicks in! :D

I figured that after folding and glueing the wing holes might be a bit tricky to cut out, so I pre cut them leaving the bottom straight edge intact to ensure clean folding of the fuse box. o_O

5A6FEB81-558F-40FA-899B-0888A716EA46.jpeg
7ACDAAF8-FFDC-4426-8E28-B25B612D67F5.jpeg
221D93CB-ED67-4BAD-B144-CB445EBDC2D6.jpeg
o_O

mayan

Legendary member
Some more progress - folded up the fuse and I have to say the FT system for these types of builds is very good, albeit a tad boxy - I guess that’s where the master series kicks in! :D

I figured that after folding and glueing the wing holes might be a bit tricky to cut out, so I pre cut them leaving the bottom straight edge intact to ensure clean folding of the fuse box. o_O

View attachment 137897 View attachment 137898 View attachment 137899 o_O
Looking amazing! Love the sliver metal feel that it gets.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

View attachment 137865 View attachment 137866 View attachment 137867 View attachment 137868 View attachment 137869 View attachment 137870
I like the silver paint/tape trick. does give a sharp look that takes it completely away from the FB matte finish. Dig it

bracesport

Legendary member
I know I said I was going to keep things standard.... but, I am considering some 3D printed parts! :LOL:

I was thinking to make the wing fixed, remove the power pod, and created a hatch - to do that I am thinking to make the dark blue nose section as a carrier for the motor and stiffener for the nose (not to mention improving the shape) - then the top light blue section can be a hatch, and the lower one can be a lower-wing cover - just roughing it out on CAD at the moment! :p

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 11.12.18 AM.png

Matagami Designs

Master member
Finished the stuka, so i've started working on the spit.

I wanted to try some different techniques on this build so after little thought i have decided why not make a 135% nnspitfire 800 this way the scale is the same as the FT version with 'C' pack motor. So i guess its technically now a nnspitfire 1080. I never tried scaling up and building a PDF but i have identified a issues thus far in that the thickness of the foam doesn't scale with the plan, so i have to re-size the width on some of the slots before cutting them out. Any other pointers you all have for scaling?

I also am working with Elmer's brand foam board for this since that was all i could find at the time. This stuff is nice and flat unlike DTFB which i found to be wavy and warped. unfortunately its twice as heavy. I was able to remove 60 grams from my wings by taking off the paper on the inside! This stuff is seriously heavy. It wasn't easy either, i used Windex and a hand towel to rub it off. So far my favorite brand is Ross.

One other question does anyone know what material @nerdnic uses on his canopies? It's marked as poster board on the prints but is transparent. Maybe some sort of clear plastic sheet?

Anyhow here is the progress on the wing thus far.

20190805_214930.jpg
20190806_200420.jpg

kilroy07

Legendary member
I know I said I was going to keep things standard.... but, I am considering some 3D printed parts! :LOL:

I was thinking to make the wing fixed, remove the power pod, and created a hatch - to do that I am thinking to make the dark blue nose section as a carrier for the motor and stiffener for the nose (not to mention improving the shape) - then the top light blue section can be a hatch, and the lower one can be a lower-wing cover - just roughing it out on CAD at the moment! :p

View attachment 138300
That almost looks more like an edge than a Spitfire... (maybe I've just been spending too much time with my Edge lately...!)

kilroy07

Legendary member
One other question does anyone know what material @nerdnic uses on his canopies? It's marked as poster board on the prints but is transparent. Maybe some sort of clear plastic sheet?
I don't know for sure, but I do know several people have simply cut out the frame out of poasterboard then run it through a laminater...
Then cut it out and you are left with a pretty respectable canopy.