'SPIT' roasted FB

mayan

Legendary member
So I am ready to start construction on my master series inspired SPIT based on the model below with rounded fuse and under-camber wing design. One more note ... this will be a 48" wingspan plane.

View attachment 139668

The parts laid out ready for cutting.

View attachment 139669

I am going to go for a combination style wing between the regular angular wing on the current FT style spit and a smooth top wing like the master series. I don't care for the non rounded leading edge on the master style design so i am going to try the hybrid shown below. I quickly took a scrap piece of foam to fold and try the concept. I removed a section of paper from the inside of the wing to get the smooth top surface and left the paper on the lower flat side. This will give the smooth top and the nice leading edge.

View attachment 139670

top view: the end of the wing tip is missing because of the small piece of scrap I had. just wanted proof of concept.

View attachment 139671

Under camber will still be present.

View attachment 139672

Should be a nice blend of the 2 styles.

View attachment 139673

What do you guys and gals think? Any suggestions?
I love it! It’s what I thought to do on my Howard DGA-6 build and you proved my concept to work so thank you :).

chris398mx

Master member
I will be really interested to see the details on the build just like how you started out. The master series really takes it to the next level as far as FB goes. Do you have a PDF on the plans you could link in?

As far as the poster board tip I suggested, it's pretty simple. I don't know how skilled of a pilot you are, I know I am not skilled so this is what worked for me and you can take it to whatever variation you like. Maybe you are one of those "only the wheels touch the ground, nary a scuff on the airframe, planes last a lifetime" kinda pilot, then totally disregard this tip. I just used HD poster board, (cuz I do crash a lot, and have bent many wing tips just getting the plane into the car), and adhered it to the underside of the wing with spray adhesive applied to both the wing and the poster board. the poster board was cut over sized before application and trimmed to fit once in place and dried, as shown:
View attachment 139683
Have you already done the original Spit and now stepping up the game or are warbirds new territory?

As far as the design,
  • I just used the existing plans from FT and scaled them up to adjust for the size wings I wanted.
  • Found a side profile picture of an actual spitfire and then inserted it into the drawing.
  • Scaled the picture until it matched the length of the plans
  • Then i started drawing front view profiles of what i thought the plane should look like from the front matching the height of the fuse in that area.
  • Then i created the model in the 3D CAD software using the profiles for the formers.

1565988166312.png

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well that's all the foam and poster board work. I think it looks pretty good so far. I need to find a nice paint scheme and get a big spinner on the front. :)

View attachment 139743 View attachment 139744 View attachment 139745
What an excellent mash-up of the original design and your mods taken from the idea of the Master Series! The flaring on the wings is exceptional, the cockpit is inspired and your wing-scoops are a nice, added touch! Beautifully done! I'm really looking forward to the maiden video on this one! :D

kilroy07

Legendary member
As far as the design,
  • I just used the existing plans from FT and scaled them up to adjust for the size wings I wanted.
  • Found a side profile picture of an actual spitfire and then inserted it into the drawing.
  • Scaled the picture until it matched the length of the plans
  • Then i started drawing front view profiles of what i thought the plane should look like from the front matching the height of the fuse in that area.
  • Then i created the model in the 3D CAD software using the profiles for the formers.

View attachment 139709
You might check out some of the free (online) balsa plans for 3 view/plans with sections on them.
There's a whole list of resources on the FTFC20 thread.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Thanks for all the positive reviews everyone.

I can't take any credit on the design, this is simply a @nerdnic spitfire 800 scaled up to a 1080 mm wingspan with a few mods to make the scaling work.

I suggest checking out his plans. @Rasterize @BATTLEAXE

Although there is no build video for the spit, my process mirrored his nnp39 v2 video.

@kilroy07 - I didn't use the iron much at all for this one, actually, which is good since i usually get too overzealous and end up making wrinkles in the paper. The horizontal and vertical stabs were done by cutting each part twice. I removed the paper on one side and did large bevels on the TE and shallow bevel on the LE glue and then cut the hinge. Nick did this in the nnp39 v2 build video and i think the extra thickness makes it a bit more scale. I only worry this is making it a tad more tail heavy. all other parts have a nice paper fold-over on them.

20190810_003850.jpg
20190810_004819.jpg

Last edited:

chris398mx

Master member
Thanks for all the positive reviews everyone.

I can't take any credit on the design, this is simply a @nerdnic spitfire 800 scaled up to a 1080 mm wingspan with a few mods to make the scaling work.

I suggest checking out his plans. @Rasterize @BATTLEAXE

Although there is no build video for the spit, my process mirrored his nnp39 v2 video.

@kilroy07 - I didn't use the iron much at all for this one, actually, which is good since i usually get too overzealous and end up making wrinkles in the paper. The horizontal and vertical stabs were done by cutting each part twice. I removed the paper on one side and did large bevels on the TE and shallow bevel on the LE glue and then cut he hinge. Nick did this in the nnp39 v2 build video and i think the extra thickness makes it a bit more scale. I only worry this is making it a tad more tail heavy. all other parts have a nice paper fold-over on them.

View attachment 139770 View attachment 139771
Awesome work........ All you guys are making me look like an amateur.