'SPIT' roasted FB

bracesport

Legendary member
team - It does not seem like much progress, but I did make the second wing and attach it to the fuse - what seemed to take forever was the painting and clear taping - given this wing is glued in place, I ditched the interwoven spar and made the dihedral with the glue joint taped underneath (the usual way).

@kilroy07 - loving the vinyl cuts (can't wait to put them on the fuse too)!

IMG_7088.jpg
IMG_7081.JPG
IMG_7082 2.JPG

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Picked up 2mm vector board material yesterday and it's super interesting stuff.
While I'm working on finishing off the FT Spitfire, I'm getting going on the super duper, do it all (maybe) Spitfire. I guess this could also sort of come under the old plans to new model as this one is a 193% blow-up of a rubber band model downloaded from aerofred.
Why the 193% increase I hear you ask? Well at 193% the model is scaled pretty much to match the FT Spitfire and I am planning in mainly using FT wings and tail feathers.
So, here is where it is at this moment...
IMG_20190818_164913887.jpg IMG_20190818_164932116.jpg
Next is to make an FT type box section tube to hold the profiles in place.
The sections are on thick card at the moment as I fully expect to have to cut these profiles a few times!

Wildthing

Legendary member
team - It does not seem like much progress, but I did make the second wing and attach it to the fuse - what seemed to take forever was the painting and clear taping - given this wing is glued in place, I ditched the interwoven spar and made the dihedral with the glue joint taped underneath (the usual way).

@kilroy07 - loving the vinyl cuts (can't wait to put them on the fuse too)!

View attachment 139881 View attachment 139882
That looks awesome

Wildthing

Legendary member
While I'm working on finishing off the FT Spitfire, I'm getting going on the super duper, do it all (maybe) Spitfire. I guess this could also sort of come under the old plans to new model as this one is a 193% blow-up of a rubber band model downloaded from aerofred.
Why the 193% increase I hear you ask? Well at 193% the model is scaled pretty much to match the FT Spitfire and I am planning in mainly using FT wings and tail feathers.
View attachment 139900 View attachment 139901
The sections are on thick card at the moment as I fully expect to have to cut these profiles a few times!

Boy you got your work cut out for you, can't wait to see the finished product.

kilroy07

Legendary member
View attachment 139900 View attachment 139901
Since you are taking balsa plans to foamboard you might consider checking out the FTFC20 challenge it’s along these very same lines.
😉

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
@CarolineTyler - that looks like an awesome build - what is 'Vector Board'?
It's a hobby foam board a bit like EPP and only sold by Grauper. When thinner it's good for skinning, hence the 2mm I bought. It's almost unbearable, heat formable and can be spray painted, glued with any glue you fancy and easy to cut with a sharp blade. I think I will be able to get some great fuselage curves with it...we shall see eh???

Wildthing

Legendary member