'SPIT' roasted FB

chris398mx

Master member
I finally was able to get some building done tonight. Started on the hybrid wing.......smooth top with under-camber and ironed edges.

Remove paper in this area for smooth airfoil.
1566188673000.png

Airfoil profile

airfoil profile.jpg

My first attempt at ironing the edges.

ironed edges.jpg

I used smeared hot glue to reinforce the under camber.

glue reinforce.jpg

Smooth top airfoil
1566189080258.png

Here is the new wing compared to the standard FT wing. Smooth as a baby's bottom. I am getting excited.

Old vs new wing.jpg

Hopefully more to come in the next day or 2.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I finally was able to get some building done tonight. Started on the hybrid wing.......smooth top with under-camber and ironed edges.

Remove paper in this area for smooth airfoil.
View attachment 139948

Airfoil profile

View attachment 139949

My first attempt at ironing the edges.

View attachment 139950

I used smeared hot glue to reinforce the under camber.

View attachment 139951

Smooth top airfoil
View attachment 139952

Here is the new wing compared to the standard FT wing. Smooth as a baby's bottom. I am getting excited.

View attachment 139953
Hopefully more to come in the next day or 2.
That's looking sharp bro. On point. Did you use a modeling iron or a cloths iron for the edges?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
😂 Love it! 👍👍

And, although the British typically didn’t allow nose art, I might use the British version of that slogan on mine....
🤔
What nose art? It's not on the nose. Who the heck put that there??!! It must've been some builder impressed by a benefactor or something. I don't know. :)

basslord1124

Master member
@Jimun said it earlier and I'll reiterate....take 2-3 days off, and this thread already got 2 million replies. :eek: lol. And I see lots of build progress already "taking off". I better get cracking. Hope to report back with some updates soon. Might be another few days and 2 million replies later but I'll have something. :p

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
So this is the rear top which is normally posterboard card and I struggle to get it smooth. This is the 2mm thick vector board and I've cut it to flush up against the top of the foamboard. Being much thinner I need to support it so there will be little runners for the vector board to stick to. No idea if this will work but I really don't like the Flitetest method of sticky tape and overlapping it.
IMG_20190819_203245990.jpg IMG_20190819_203300411.jpg IMG_20190819_203323886.jpg IMG_20190819_203432953.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
@CarolineTyler - that is essentially what I did (but with FB) - I made the whole piece as a complete tapered section which worked out ok, but I think your method with the 2mm board might be neater! :D
I'm going to try gently heat forming it to reduce the stress from it trying to straighten out. I'm really using this plane to test out materials and the techniques needed to using it.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Great job guys, really taking it to the next level on these planes. cheers to @CarolineTyler for using new different materials to achieve the goal. As for the edge at tangent trick, doesn't John Overstreet still use HG to bond all his master series butted connections and masking tape to hold in place till it sets... or am I thinking of a different strategy altogether :unsure:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What is this mess??!!

20190820_015659.jpg

Wellllll..... That's a plane ready to fly! :D I stripped the receiver from my Baby Blender, soldered up the new bec to the faulty esc, and attached the new Turnigy motor to the power pod. Then wired everything up. I've glued in the control horns and run the linkages...

That mess is a bird that is hopefully going to maiden on Wednesday! :p

bracesport

Legendary member
@buzzbomb - well done - I kind of knew you would sneak up an be first at the line - I am expecting some radical flying! :D I still have my tail to build, some RP's to do tomorrow for the exhaust stack, and the paint is drying on the spindle! :LOL:

what prop are you running?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
What is this mess??!!

View attachment 140108

Wellllll..... That's a plane ready to fly! :D I stripped the receiver from my Baby Blender, soldered up the new bec to the faulty esc, and attached the new Turnigy motor to the power pod. Then wired everything up. I've glued in the control horns and run the linkages...

That mess is a bird that is hopefully going to maiden on Wednesday! :p
Will you be the first of the group to fly the Spit?