'SPIT' roasted FB

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb - well done - I kind of knew you would sneak up an be first at the line - I am expecting some radical flying! :D I still have my tail to build, some RP's to do tomorrow for the exhaust stack, and the paint is drying on the spindle! :LOL:

what prop are you running?
It's easy to sneak up when I'm not spending near the time everyone else is on this build. I'm just building my first warbird, no frills. I just want to fly it!

Starting with a simple 10x45 prop.

daxian

Elite member
had the urge to take out my spit yesterday....but was thwarted by 2 stripped servo's... her last flight was not a good one
(maiden that went horribly wrong )did all the repairs, or thought i had !! good job i checked my "crap" before going to the field .
have some servo's on order ....only had one left in my box of bits lol.
had a hell of a job getting the aileron servo out of the wing ,forgot i had hot glued the extension joint to prevent accidental separation....had to cut a hole in the wing to get to it !!wont be doing that again ...
like the ideas coming in this thread ...keep up the good work !!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
had the urge to take out my spit yesterday....but was thwarted by 2 stripped servo's... her last flight was not a good one
(maiden that went horribly wrong )did all the repairs, or thought i had !! good job i checked my "crap" before going to the field .
have some servo's on order ....only had one left in my box of bits lol.
had a hell of a job getting the aileron servo out of the wing ,forgot i had hot glued the extension joint to prevent accidental separation....had to cut a hole in the wing to get to it !!wont be doing that again ...
like the ideas coming in this thread ...keep up the good work !!
Did you only have the 2 flights with the Spit? What happened to it yesterday?

chris398mx

Master member
Anybody familiar with the master series build style have any tips for not getting creases in the outer foam when forming? my wing looks so nice I hate to mate it with this SH$%%%ty tail.

Tail.jpg

basslord1124

Master member
Did a little build video prep today even though I've built enough that I might be able to do it without the video. But honestly, sometimes, I still watch em in case there are any shortcuts or FYI tidbits. I'm debating now whether I want a removable wing with the Spit. hmmmm

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
@chris398mx ...I have found a little bit of heat (hairdryer) helps.
I would try this as well. I have also found a little heat while forming the foam on a Master series plane also helps. I let the part sit foam side up in the southern AZ sun for a few min before I start forming if I can. I guess a little hairdryer action could also do the same.

chrisvdv

Hi, have you guys and girls considered using the rolling pin method?

Basic you use something like a PVC or galvanized water pipe to roll the foam on a carpet or mattress. The benefit is that the foam board is supported by the mattress or carpet and the pin does the forming.

Most of my stress wrinkles on foam board came from forming it on a table edge where there is no support for the foam and all the stress lies on the foam board being hand handled.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
still only the one ...the maiden did not go well...two tries same day ,with a 30 minute break in between this is the second half where it all went to pieces...
That was a good attempt. She wanted to go. If it isn't a balance thing, saw you check it, on the first run it might have looked a little more tail heavy the way it pitched up and tip stalled to the right, almost into traffic. But on the second attempt it looked way better. Once you get her fixed up and take it out again, notch up the throttle a bit more once you let it go and concentrate on getting more altitude to trim it out, that way you have time to correct on the sticks if anything goes south on you. Trim elevator first, most important, next is ailerons to stay level tip to tip, then rudder. Once you have it trimmed to how you like it then bring it in low and play around with maneuvers. That little trim check list is a tidbit of info I wish i had 8 planes ago lol. Keep it rollin tho man

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hi, have you guys and girls considered using the rolling pin method?

Basic you use something like a PVC or galvanized water pipe to roll the foam on a carpet or mattress. The benefit is that the foam board is supported by the mattress or carpet and the pin does the forming.

Most of my stress wrinkles on foam board came from forming it on a table edge where there is no support for the foam and all the stress lies on the foam board being hand handled.

I use the wife's rolling pin :D .

I roll the inside of the foam but on a hard flat surface so I can apply good pressure without the possibility of folding it into the carpet or mattress. I have rolled 6mm foam into a 90mm diameter tube with no creases doing it this way.

chris398mx

Master member
I use the wife's rolling pin :D .

I roll the inside of the foam but on a hard flat surface so I can apply good pressure without the possibility of folding it into the carpet or mattress. I have rolled 6mm foam into a 90mm diameter tube with no creases doing it this way.
I will see if I can find my wife's and "borrow" it........I mean steal. LOL