'SPIT' roasted FB

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

bracesport

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - given I started the thread I thought I had better be thorough! :LOL:

well, I finally put the tail on (taping was a bit ropey), and except for the control rods and maybe some 'accessories', the first one is damn near done!

IMG_7103.JPG
IMG_7104.JPG
IMG_7101.JPG

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
finally finished the spitfire build. Had to remake the power pod an inch longer because I couldn't get it to balance. Guess the motor isn't as heavy as the one they call for. but anyway it's done. now just need a day to go fly it. I figure I'll crash this one and probably a few more learning to fly with ailerons. Then ill take the time to paint one up and make it look good.

Attachments

• IMG_4076.JPG
    IMG_4076.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4077.JPG
    IMG_4077.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4078.JPG
    IMG_4078.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
finally finished the spitfire build. Had to remake the power pod an inch longer because I couldn't get it to balance. Guess the motor isn't as heavy as the one they call for. but anyway it's done. now just need a day to go fly it. I figure I'll crash this one and probably a few more learning to fly with ailerons. Then ill take the time to paint one up and make it look good.
That is one seriously unique Spitfire! I can't wait to see flight video! :D

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's uh, how do I say it... some stout landing gear there my friend. Is your prop gonna clear the ground on take off or landing? I will say that your power pod has absolutely no risk of automatic ejection that's for sure (y):p

chris398mx

Master member
Started assembly of the fuselage tonight. i like the design but I mangled the tail trying to form and glue in the formers. i am not sure if i should rebuild them or finish the plane and see if it will fly. i was going for a quality nice looking build and the wing turned out great, but the fuse is something out of a horror film. I am almost embarrassed to post pictures of it,

The nose turned out pretty good. I am planning on accessing the battery from a hatch on the top side. Also planning on having a removable wing.

Carpet ISO.JPG

Capet side.JPG

There is a fuselage box that runs from the nose to the tail section. I will slide the powerpod into the box with the nose attached to the powerpod with a former. The front hole is too small to let the whole power pod slide through.
table swapable.JPG
Table side view.JPG

What's the verdict???? Scrap it and start over or continue with the Fuselage the way it is?

bracesport

Legendary member
@sundown57 - maybe a bit of weight up front would allow the power pod back into its home? I am envious of the landing gear (although I don't really have any flat ground for landing on)! o_O:D

@chris398mx - I think it is looking really really great (super duper in fact) - why not use a bit of filler like @chrisvdv mentioned, that should sort it all out!? :D

@buzzbomb - thanks for the nice comment - you are correct, I will be afraid to maiden it, so it is time to finish the FB style build! :p I am even building the swappable power pod and will wrap the canopy as specified! :D

IMG_7106.JPG

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Started assembly of the fuselage tonight. i like the design but I mangled the tail trying to form and glue in the formers. i am not sure if i should rebuild them or finish the plane and see if it will fly. i was going for a quality nice looking build and the wing turned out great, but the fuse is something out of a horror film. I am almost embarrassed to post pictures of it,

The nose turned out pretty good. I am planning on accessing the battery from a hatch on the top side. Also planning on having a removable wing.

View attachment 140196

View attachment 140197

There is a fuselage box that runs from the nose to the tail section. I will slide the powerpod into the box with the nose attached to the powerpod with a former. The front hole is too small to let the whole power pod slide through.
View attachment 140198 View attachment 140199

What's the verdict???? Scrap it and start over or continue with the Fuselage the way it is?
Plane looks good, it will still fly. Depends on how anal you are about aesthetics. I am guessing this is your first Master Spit? The second one is always better. Me on the other hand, for myself only... I wouldn't be happy with it, it would be the first thing I notice when I look at the plane. Happens to me all the time. If a tail surface is out of square I focus on it, if the fuse gets wrinkled while I am shoving a wing through the fuse it catches my attention, again that's just me. But when I fly it and it goes well, that's what i concentrate on. Priorities are flying at this point for me

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

View attachment 140196

View attachment 140197

You are stressing the details way too much! It's beautiful! Look at what you've done there. You've smoothed out every single corner on the plane! It's just smooth curves all over! You're stressing over a wrinkle? I think it's spectacular what you've done, and I wouldn't change a thing. Just keep on doing what you're doing and then glorify in the the maiden flight! (y)(y)(y)

sundown57

Legendary member
That's uh, how do I say it... some stout landing gear there my friend. Is your prop gonna clear the ground on take off or landing? I will say that your power pod has absolutely no risk of automatic ejection that's for sure (y):p
the landing gear believe it or not is off a little 1 dollar plastic toy motorcycle. it super thin and lightweight but looks cool. The 10-inch prop clears the ground by 1 1/2 inches. I didn't add weight cause I'm trying to keep it as light as possible in the hopes of slowing it down enough so i can learn to fly it instead of playing lawn darts as usual.

Attachments

• IMG_4079.JPG
    IMG_4079.JPG
    771.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4081.JPG
    IMG_4081.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member

View attachment 140196

View attachment 140197

After building the corsair master build I can say from experience ( yours looks GREAT just keep going ) . Are you designing this your self or are there spitfire master build plans I missed?

chris398mx

Master member
After building the corsair master build I can say from experience ( yours looks GREAT just keep going ) . Are you designing this your self or are there spitfire master build plans I missed?
Thanks for the kind words. I designed this on my own with ideas and input from this forum on others peoples mods. it is kind of a mashup.

chris398mx

Master member
You are stressing the details way too much! It's beautiful! Look at what you've done there. You've smoothed out every single corner on the plane! It's just smooth curves all over! You're stressing over a wrinkle? I think it's spectacular what you've done, and I wouldn't change a thing. Just keep on doing what you're doing and then glorify in the the maiden flight! (y)(y)(y)
Thanks, i will forge ahead.

sundown57

Legendary member
Thanks for the kind words. I designed this on my own with ideas and input from this forum on others peoples mods. it is kind of a mashup.
well, you just piqued my interest into trying one of my own. Only suggestion I can make is when I did the corsair I used some of the paper I peeled off and cut it into strips and used it to hide the seams. I just stuck it on with a glue stick. From just a foot away or so you couldn't see the seems at all.

chris398mx

Master member
well, you just piqued my interest into trying one of my own. Only suggestion I can make is when I did the corsair I used some of the paper I peeled off and cut it into strips and used it to hide the seams. I just stuck it on with a glue stick. From just a foot away or so you couldn't see the seems at all.
Good idea. the gaps need some more work but i haven't assembled the pieces yet. i just slid them over the fuselage tube to see how it looks. i will definitely keep this trick in mind if they don't look good.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Got the spit all painted up. This is my 1st attempt at camouflage. Hopefully i won't lose it in the grass. :D

My spinner and APC 10 x 4.7 prop just shipped today so i doubt i will be able to get a chance to maiden this weekend but fingers crossed everything doesn't go south when the time comes. ;)

20190822_204035.jpg
20190822_204246.jpg