'SPIT' roasted FB

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
DETAILS to the 9th Degree!! 😲😎😊 I'm chucked! Ya know, you may be quite good at this!! 😜
Bloody Brilliant!

Can't WAIT to see how you do the Guns... Could you please be a little picture heavy with that one?
I'll likely be COPYING it on my P-40, just started!! 😎😂
Cheers 🍻🍻 Mate!
I wanna see how you do the guns on the P-40 as well. I gotta get up on the history of the P-40 like I did on the Spit

kilroy07

Legendary member
Wing spats complete, not perfect but pretty nice looking. Cockpit mirror painted and 'mirror' fitted. Things to do before painting:-
Make and fit 'guns'
Make and fit little bumps for wing behind 'guns'
Make and fit ariel
Complete cockpit and stick to top hatch
Fit the exhausts
... then paint, decals, light weathering.
😀😀😀
View attachment 143128
Ssuuweeet! 😍
You know (of course) this is just going to make me revisit mine and update her, right?, 😉
Guns, or cannon. 😜

PoorManRC

Master member
I wanna see how you do the guns on the P-40 as well. I gotta get up on the history of the P-40 like I did on the Spit

It's really a fascinating History! Considered Obsolete by the FIRST year of WWII, they served in the WHOLE War with Distinction.
The Pilots just rewrote the Operational Parameters for her, in a lower level, dive and shoot Tactic! She had a very strong Airframe, and could take much more damage than their adversaries.

Besides the Guns, I'm also doing the humps in front of the Landing Gear, Intercooler Duct, and the Wastegate exit behind the Cockpit. 😉

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's really a fascinating History! Considered Obsolete by the FIRST year of WWII, they served in the WHOLE War with Distinction.
The Pilots just rewrote the Operational Parameters for her, in a lower level, dive and shoot Tactic! She had a very strong Airframe, and could take much more damage than their adversaries.

Besides the Guns, I'm also doing the humps in front of the Landing Gear, Intercooler Duct, and the Wastegate exit behind the Cockpit. 😉
I think it will be cool to see you do a warbird with your airforce knowledge of the history in these planes. Like @CarolineTyler who is taking the details to precise historical accuracy like she worked at the Supermarine factory, it is fascinating

Wildthing

Legendary member
Did you see her maiden?! She landed that Spit like a feather on a breeze, if she was a real WW2 pilot she wouldn't need landing gear, just a pillow lol

Even on the pillow soft landing she even mentioned slight damage to the fuse (minor damage that a little packing tape will prevent) but with the oil coolers and such being the lowest point they will dig in.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
He is just looking out for ya @CarolineTyler
Foamboard planes never last that long. I was considering adding retracts but decided against it due to weight and complexity. I'm a lot better flyer than I used to be so hopefully I can gently put it down, our flying field is nice grass.
I'm not putting packing tape on the bottom but will be adding a protective coating to ensure no damp can get into the paper covering.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My Baby Blender is the longest lasting plane I have had, over a month lol, I try to fly everyday. I fly over a tall grass and shrubbery, and belly land in it all the time. I took the landing gear off because the leverage of it grabbing bushes and tangled grass has abused the airframe some. In replacement of the landing gear to protect the aileron servo that hang out the bottom I fashioned a skid plate from a plastic ice cube tray, which is glued on no different from your intakes on the bottom of your Spit:
20190908_103617.jpg

Over 30 belly landings and it's still there, solid. And I have yet to land as elegant as you did in your maiden.

You do you girl (y):cool:(y)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Cannons are guns, aren't they???
😳😩....

😜🤣 alright, we’ll go with that. But just so you know, they’ll be no end of razing unless you hang a 3-4 blade prop off of it! 😛

I’m still leaning on an early version (something about the split black/white under belly just speaks to me.)

Turns out the A B camo wasn’t a mirror of each other, but just swapping the green and brown. Glad I found that before I shot color.

I’m glad we did this. It really does fly great (did anyone else have the CRAZY elevator authority I experienced?) I was able to turn her on a dime, I kept expecting a high speed stall but she took it all in stride.

Looking forward to the next round of maiden videos (yes @mayan im talking to you!) 😜

And what about you @FoamyDM have you started your build yet?

And a final invite out to @Sambot come join the fun! 👍

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
😳😩....

😜🤣 alright, we’ll go with that. But just so you know, they’ll be no end of razing unless you hang a 3-4 blade prop off of it! 😛

I’m still leaning on an early version (something about the split black/white under belly just speaks to me.)

Turns out the A B camo wasn’t a mirror of each other, but just swapping the green and brown. Glad I found that before I shot color.

I’m glad we did this. It really does fly great (did anyone else have the CRAZY elevator authority I experienced?) I was able to turn her on a dime, I kept expecting a high speed stall but she took it all in stride.

Looking forward to the next round of maiden videos (yes @mayan im talking to you!) 😜

And what about you @FoamyDM have you started your build yet?

And a final invite out to @Sambot come join the fun! 👍
My Spit will remain a bi-blade. Tri and quad blades are no good for belly landings.
But it will have a nice nose cone :)