Spitfire motor + esc

Ludus_fpv

Hi!

In the next month I'm going to build a Spitfire and I read at the product page that a Park 400 Type, 810kV minimumis recommended.

I came from quadcopters and got some motors gattering dust and I wonder if any of those will be ok to use with the spitfire.

I have a tmotor f60 pro ii, an aokfly 2306 and a racestar 2205, first two are 2400kv, and the other is 2300.

Also, don't know which esc will be ok to use. I got some cheap chinisse 28A esc, and I don't know if that will be enough or it will be deliverd in sacrifice to fire gods.

I don't need any esc + bec combo because I 'm going to use a fligth controller (with inav to fly it in passtrougth mode but I want all the fancy gps features as well).

Thank you so much.

kdobson83

Hi!

In the next month I'm going to build a Spitfire and I read at the product page that a Park 400 Type, 810kV minimumis recommended.

I came from quadcopters and got some motors gattering dust and I wonder if any of those will be ok to use with the spitfire.

I have a tmotor f60 pro ii, an aokfly 2306 and a racestar 2205, first two are 2400kv, and the other is 2300.

Also, don't know which esc will be ok to use. I got some cheap chinisse 28A esc, and I don't know if that will be enough or it will be deliverd in sacrifice to fire gods.

I don't need any esc + bec combo because I 'm going to use a fligth controller (with inav to fly it in passtrougth mode but I want all the fancy gps features as well).

Thank you so much.
Wait, what size Spitfire are you doing? If your shrinking it down to mini size, roughly 800mm wing span, then yes, those motors will be fine. But if your not, if your building the Spitfire at normal size, then you may have issues.

Power shouldn't be an issue. They should produce enough power. But those quad motors sling 5-6" props. That's a pretty small prop for that plane. I say this because a lot of your thrust will be blocked by the firewall and fuselage. You really need a motor that will swing 7-10" props.

I'd say you could try what you have, but you may have thrust issues.

Ludus_fpv

Wait, what size Spitfire are you doing? If your shrinking it down to mini size, roughly 800mm wing span, then yes, those motors will be fine. But if your not, if your building the Spitfire at normal size, then you may have issues.

Power shouldn't be an issue. They should produce enough power. But those quad motors sling 5-6" props. That's a pretty small prop for that plane. I say this because a lot of your thrust will be blocked by the firewall and fuselage. You really need a motor that will swing 7-10" props.

I'd say you could try what you have, but you may have thrust issues.

I'm doing the one from the shop here (https://store.flitetest.com/flite-t...electric-airplane-kit-1080mm-flt-1007/p673671)

So, I'll try a 7x42x2 prop that I've for the long range quad, if I'm having issues, will use another bigger prop, or bigger motor and prop.

Thanks!

kdobson83

I'm doing the one from the shop here (https://store.flitetest.com/flite-t...electric-airplane-kit-1080mm-flt-1007/p673671)

So, I'll try a 7x42x2 prop that I've for the long range quad, if I'm having issues, will use another bigger prop, or bigger motor and prop.

Thanks!
Well, you don't wanna put a bigger 7"+ prop on a motor that's designed to run on 5" and 6" props. You'll put to much stress on the motor causing overheating issues or possible failure. A bigger prop requires either lower KV or higher amperage to turn. If you take a motor that's designed to run at say 2300kv with a 5" prop and you put a 7" on it, the motor will still try to spin at 2300kv but with that bigger prop it won't be able too. This can cause over heating or possible motor failure. You could counter this by dropping the voltage, like down to 2s instead of 3 or 4s, but then you'll drop power as well.
My suggestion would be to either try it with the prop size that is recommended by the motor manufacturer for that motor, or get a different motor that was designed to run bigger 7"+ props.
If money is a determining factor for you, banggood has racerstar motors for pretty cheap and in my experience have been comparable to emax motors. I have a racerstar 2830 1300kv motor on 9x6x2 props and have unlimited vertical on my bigger FT builds and only draws about 20 or so amps. 10-15 minute flights on a 2200 3s battery. That motor is 8.99 with free shipping on banggood right now. Would probably be able to use the esc you have as well.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @kdobson83, too large of a prop is a quick way to burn something out. It’s a bad day when you let the smoke out.

synjin

Elite member
I’m building the Spitfire now and was thinking of putting a 2212 2200Kv on it. I think I’ll try a 7” or 8” prop. If that doesn’t work I’ll switch to a 2212 1000Kv with a 9” or 10” prop.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I’m building the Spitfire now and was thinking of putting a 2212 2200Kv on it. I think I’ll try a 7” or 8” prop. If that doesn’t work I’ll switch to a 2212 1000Kv with a 9” or 10” prop.
That's a little too much prop for a 2200kv 2212, I wouldn't suggest you go over a 6inch prop on that motor. A 1400kv 2212 with a 8inch would work, or as you said the 1000kv with a 10inch would be great.