Spitfire on Steroids!

mayan

Legendary member
After releasing a few videos of my 238% not so Tiny Trainer project, I've been getting a bunch of requests and suggestions for another big project. One that came up is the Spitfire (original version), which also happens to be one of my favorvite FT designs.

So without further adue let's get down to business.
Printed out the pans, stocked up on foam board (5mm/10mm) trying to learn for last time's mistakes, and got some plywood (again learning from previous mistakes using thin carbon fiber rods), huge tiers and a metal rod for them.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 21.55.32 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 21.55.32.jpeg

Now starting to title up the pieces :).
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 21.55.32 (2).jpeg

On this build unlike my previous one (Tiny Trainer) I'll try to document every step of the way, so come join the process with me.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
That’s it! After 3.5 hours of work I am done taping up all the pieces together and I am pleased with the results.

Here are a few tips from me when working on a big project like this.
1) Right after printing out the pages number them in one direction that way if you don’t have to worry about rotating them when trimming of the edges. Or have to pause and think if it looks right when tapping them back together :).
2) Connect the small pages first into strips then connect the strips together into a whole plan sheet.
3) When connecting the strips together, first tape the first strip down with washi tape to your work surface, I prefer the floor. Then line up the second strip and tape it down too with washi tape.
60994E61-37A7-47AE-A9E3-9695DB7F5BA7.jpeg

Now connect all the four page intersections with normal duck tape.
2F05C44A-B725-42C4-B7DD-3CA2FA845B4E.jpeg

When done run a long strip of masking tape over it all to get the rest of the page connections.
81B751DB-1EC2-4C82-8355-44023EBA5F5C.jpeg
B41BEFA1-8E1A-422D-B3DC-B9179AFCDFEC.jpeg
212C00CC-4776-406C-A7B5-A5FA93B28E6C.jpeg

I used 1.5 rolls of duck tape and a bit of masking tape and a lot of free labor :). Total time in so far as bellow.

PREP:
Trimming of page edges- 2 hours
Taping up the pieces- 3.5 hours

Later today I hope to cut the plans into parts so I can move on the the next step which will be planning my next move.

cyclone3350

Master member
As someone who has done the same myself, It not only takes time and & patience, but practice & skill. Well done! Now a days, I just download to a thumb drive and have a print shop do the printing on a large sheet. That doesn't save me much in time. I have to drive an hour to drop it off & make another trip back to pick it up. It was not easy to find one with 45" wide paper and be somewhat reasonable on the price. It just saves my sanity.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
That’s it! After 3.5 hours of work I am done taping up all the pieces together and I am pleased with the results.

1) Right after printing out the pages number them in one direction that way if you don’t have to worry about rotating them when trimming of the edges. Or have to pause and think if it looks right when tapping them back together :).
2) Connect the small pages first into strips then connect the strips together into a whole plan sheet.
3) When connecting the strips together, first tape the first strip down with washi tape to your work surface, I prefer the floor. Then line up the second strip and tape it down too with washi tape.
View attachment 214724

View attachment 214725

When done run a long strip of masking tape over it all to get the rest of the page connections.
View attachment 214726 View attachment 214727 View attachment 214728

I used 1.5 rolls of duck tape and a bit of masking tape and a lot of free labor :). Total time in so far as bellow.

PREP:

Later today I hope to cut the plans into parts so I can move on the the next step which will be planning my next move.
That’s crazy, I printed out the pages, cut and taped them together and decided scratch building was one of the dullest things I could think of 🤣 I can’t wait to see it fly!

mayan

Legendary member
That’s it I cut out all the parts of the plans into pieces took and hour.
C01B1133-96E3-4399-985A-1E188B67D51F.jpeg

Now it’s time to plan! I want to decide what to build out of what material. I know for sure I want to build the entire wing spar out of plywood and 5mm by 5mm balsa. Think the fuselage will be out of 10mm FB and the wings out of 5mm FB.

Updates soon.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

View attachment 214724

View attachment 214725

View attachment 214726 View attachment 214727 View attachment 214728

PREP:

An easier less back breaking way to put plans together is to use magnets and do it on a refrigerator standing up or on a chair. Unless part of the goal was to get the kids involved then the added floor space for then is better.

Happy New Year Mayan and family I hope this year is much better and more safe then the last two.

20180805_174105.jpg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
An easier less back breaking way to put plans together is to use magnets and do it on a refrigerator standing up or on a chair. Unless part of the goal was to get the kids involved then the added floor space for then is better.

Happy New Year Mayan and family I hope this year is much better and more safe then the last two.

View attachment 214810
someone seems to have done this before, huh! :D

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Might be too late to mention now, but were you aware of the 400th episode giant spitfire builds?
They released plans with the modifications they had made for the 200% version.
There are links to them at the bottom of this article https://www.flitetest.com/articles/monster-build-tips if you're interested. If nothing else, you can compare notes.
I knew about the video but not that they released the plans :(. I’ll check it out though, might end off working from those plans instead. Not cause I am lazy just rather not throw material to the trash.

mayan

Legendary member

View attachment 214810
My fridge ain’t that big for a 200% version of the model 😂🤣😂. Happy new year to you too buddy. In fact to you all, stay safe friends and make sure your families do the same!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
My fridge ain’t that big for a 200% version of the model 😂🤣😂. Happy new year to you too buddy. In fact to you all, stay safe friends and make sure your families do the same!
You mean to say you don't have a 2 fridges next to eachother?!?
Keep at it. this looks great @mayan. Happy New Year

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks to @Tench745 I had a look at the article about the 400th FT episode and took a look at the plans too (didn’t know they existed at this size).

Any how I’ve decided to continue using the plans I’ve already printed out and taped together. I did though get some ideas of where to cut the fuselage and wings into pieces to fit on FBs.

Also I’ve made up my mind about what will be built out of what. So fuselage will be 10mm FB (will save the trouble of doubling up certain areas), the wings will be 5mm FB reinforced with plywood (light weight).

Still debating about the spar here are the options what do you think?
1) plywood and balsa all the way
2) normal FB 10mm reinforced with plywood on both side 1/3 of the way.

Will most likely start with the fuselage just because it seems easier and the fact that I haven’t made up my mind about the wing spar. Hoping to push in some work on this before the weekend.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

My problem isnt size. Its that it is always empty and the weight of the plans tries to make it fall over. :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::devilish:

mayan

Legendary member
Started taping the plans to FB. Started with the fuselage on 10mm FB sheets.
74D7EC14-EF5E-43E2-B4DC-E2B58704B3FD.jpeg
061FE889-88D8-46EA-9F74-CC97317511DB.jpeg
20364470-5116-4F43-9FE0-C9E0CF482C3E.jpeg

I have already started cutting the sheets into pieces so it will be easier to work on them and scored the power pod and horizontal stabilizer. Hope to get more done tonight if I finish some work I have to do first.