Split Elevon Wing Test

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
This project is to test an idea for getting yaw control on a flying wing that has a single motor.

I am splitting the Elevons into inner/outer bits to try creating a differential drag situation that can be used for yaw control.

CG calculation
Cutting Template is attached

Attachments

• SplitElevonTemplate.pdf
    1.3 KB · Views: 0

JasonK

Build Process & Notes
  • Initial cutting
    • Realized that the top and bottom most bits need to 5mm or so remove from the front edges (not in the template) as after beveling the other layers, the front edge they are lining up with will have been moved back that much.
  • Remove paper between the foam layers
    • I removed 1 side of every piece except the middle most layer, and templated the smaller layers on the bigger ones to remove all the overlapping paper, so all the gluing was foam to foam
    • Foam weight after removal of all paper but before gluing/beveling/triming: 72g
  • Gluing layers together
    • I used White Gorilla Glue. I realized that this is a prototype, using hot glue for speed could have been a better choice for build speed. When laminating the layers together, working out from the middle layer, alternating top/bottom would have made clamping the layers easier while letting the glue dry.
  • Iron Elevon joins
    • I only irons the joins, this is instead of bevel cutting and hot glue reinforcing, I didn't iron the other edges as this is a protoype (ironing also strengthens the edges)
  • Cut out servo slots
    • If this gets past the prototype phase, these should be added to the plans and cut 1 or 2 layers deep (1 layer leaves the servo sticking out, 2 will over sink them. Trade off of dealing with the servo being deep or messing with airflow)
  • Print out control horns and Motor mount
    • This could be done with hobby plywood or any other reasonable solution
  • Install servos, control horns, motor mount
    • using hotglue instead of gorilla glue - had bad experience with gorilla glue getting inside the servo and destroying it.
  • Cutout slots for ESC, wires, battery, etc and install
    • forget to take pictures of the process, thankfully it is mostly viable from the resulting image.
  • Program up Flight modes and mixes to be able to test.

1623588265440.png 1623607999247.png 1623620682608.jpg 1623630332906.png

Last edited:

JasonK

Maiden
Took full up trim and almost full stick deflection to fly, need to figure out if it is a throws issue or a CG to forward issue. Both 'normal', where the elevons moved as one, and split, were there was an 80/20 split on movement [inner more elevator, outer more aileron], flew well. given the extreme level of elevator input, I don't feel the yaw test was valid as the inner servos were close or completely saturated, leaving no additional movement for the yaw input to effect it.

Second maiden flights of my split elevon wing attempt. I swapped out the ~101g battery with one that was about 40g bringing the CG back 3cm or so from the recommended situation. The wing was still very stable in pitch and didn't need nearly as much up-elevator to fly straight. Unfortunately it was rather draggy in the air and if I cut the throttle completely it would descend very fast. Definately has a fairly poor glide slope.

Unfortunately the yaw control didn't do anything useful. However the wing itself flew fairly well. The flags at the edge of the park were flying full and coming in over the southern trees (I noted at one point in the video which ones) and I am quite sure there is a band of significant turbulence in the area.

Last edited:

JasonK

Final thoughts:

• the 5 layer symmetrical kfm wing ended up very draggy (it did have the thickest part of the airfoil right at the front edge of the wing, instead of ~30% back which seems to be the best place for the thickest part), so it flew fairly slow and stable, but fell almost like a brick if left to glide.
  • DTFB de-laminates much easier then ROSS brand foam and is basically the same weight. (the store I get the ROSS from was out and I restocked with DTFB, definitely easier to pull the paper off, which is useful when you need to, but disadvantageous when you don't want to)
  • the yawing motion didn't work, or if it did, it was so minor as to not be useful/relevant
  • when I dialed up the yaw mix %, it removed control from the plane (which makes sense, it saturated the servos)
  • the kfm wing was really easy to build and was very sturdy
  • I should have used an A-pack sized motor on 3s with the 5x3 prop instead of the 1306 3100kv motor that I used. that motor got hot the first time out with being at 100% throttle the whole time.
  • I could try moving the battery farther back, it was still rather stable on pitch, so I think there might be more room to move the CG back, however I don't think this would help any with the yaw issue, just possibly getting a better flight for what it is.
  • I probably could have got air brakes out of the split elevons, but didn't try it.
This is related to what Flite test did years back with trying to put rudders on wings

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
This project is to test an idea for getting yaw control on a flying wing that has a single motor.

I am splitting the Elevons into inner/outer bits to try creating a differential drag situation that can be used for yaw control.

CG calculation
Cutting Template is attached

How are you controlling the amount of deflection for the differential drag?

JasonK

How are you controlling the amount of deflection for the differential drag?
mixing in my TX (I have an OpenTX so setting up all sorts of complicated mixes are easy).

I will setup multiple flight modes, so I will have one that is a 'traditional' config, so I can flip to that if something goes odd.

I do question if this has any chance of working, it is going to be a fly -> test, repeat to see if I can work out a mix setup that actually does what I want.

L Edge

Master member
Have you thought about using aileron differential to correct roll to yaw coupling and adverse yaw characteristics?

Scotto

Elite member
Cool experiment. I thought it would yaw a lot with all that drag. Wonder why not:unsure:. Could you share your program from the opentx?

JasonK

General

Name

Arrow

Model Image

Delta1.jpg

Throttle

Source: THR Trim idle only: No Warning: Yes Reversed: No

Trims

Step: Fine Display: On Change Extended: No

Center Beep

None

Switch Warnings

SA↑ SB↑ SC↑ SD↑ SE↑ SF↑

Pot Warnings

Mode: OFF

Other

Extended Limits: Yes Display Checklist: No Global Functions: Yes

Timers

Time

Switch

Countdown

Min.call

Persist

Tmr1

00:05:00

L02

Voice

Yes

Flight

Tmr2

00:00:00

OFF

Silent

No

OFF

Tmr3

00:00:00

OFF

Silent

No

OFF
Modules

Internal Radio System

Protocol: DIY Multiprotocol Module Channels: 1-16 Receiver: 0 Radio protocol: FrSky Subtype: D8 Option value: 0

External Radio Module

Protocol: OFF

Trainer port

Mode: Slave/Jack Channels: 1-8 Frame length: 22.5ms PPM delay: 300us Polarity: Positive
Flight modes

Flight mode

Switch

F.In

F.Out

TrmR

TrmE

TrmT

TrmA

Trm5

Trm6

FM0:Normal

----

FM1:4WNoYaw

SB-

FM0

FM0

FM2:4WYaw

SB↓

FM1

FM1

FM1

FM1

FM0

FM0

FM3

----

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM4

----

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM5

----

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM6

----

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM7

----

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM8

----

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

Global vars

GV1

GV2

GV3

GV4

GV5

GV6

GV7

GV8

GV9

Name

A

B

Unit

Prec

0._

0._

0._

0._

0._

0._

0._

0._

0._

Min

Max

Popup

N

N

N

N

N

N

N

N

N

Flight mode

FM0:Normal

FM1:4WNoYaw

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM2:4WYaw

FM1

FM1

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM3

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM4

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM5

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM6

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM7

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM8

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0
Inputs

I1:Ail

Ail Weight(+100%) Expo(30%) Switch(SA↑)
Ail Weight(+70%) Expo(30%) Switch(!SA↑)

I2:Ele

Ele Weight(+100%) Expo(30%) Switch(SA↑)
Ele Weight(+70%) Expo(30%) Switch(!SA↑)

I3:Thr

Thr Weight(0%) Switch(SF↑) Offset(-100%)
Thr Weight(+100%)

I4:Rud

Rud Weight(+100%) Expo(30%)
Mixers

CH1:ElAO

I1:Ail Weight(-GV1:A) [AilR]
+= I2:Ele Weight(+GV2:B) [Elev]
+= I4:Rud Weight(+GV3) Flight mode(FM2:4WYaw) Func(x>0) [YawL]

CH2:ElBO

I1:Ail Weight(-GV1:A) [AilR]
+= I2:Ele Weight(-GV2:B) [Elev]
+= I4:Rud Weight(+GV3) Flight mode(FM2:4WYaw) Func(x<0) [YawR]

CH3:Thr

I3:Thr Weight(+100%) [Motor]

CH4:ElAI

I1:Ail Weight(-GV2:B) [AilR]
+= I2:Ele Weight(+GV1:A) [Elev]
+= I4:Rud Weight(-GV4) Flight mode(FM2:4WYaw) Func(x>0) [YawL]

CH5:ELBI

I1:Ail Weight(-GV2:B) [AilR]
+= I2:Ele Weight(-GV1:A) [Elev]
+= I4:Rud Weight(-GV4) Flight mode(FM2:4WYaw) Func(x<0) [YawR]
Outputs

Channel

Subtrim

Min

Max

Direct

Curve

PPM

Linear

CH1:ElAO

+0.0%

-100.0%

+100.0%

NOR

----

N

CH2:ElBO

+0.0%

-100.0%

+100.0%

NOR

----

N

CH3:Thr

+0.0%

-100.0%

+100.0%

NOR

----

N

CH4:ElAI

+0.0%

-100.0%

+100.0%

NOR

----

N

CH5:ELBI

+0.0%

-100.0%

+100.0%

NOR

----

N
Curves
Logical Switches

L1

Edge(SH↓, [0.5:0.5])

L2

( I3:Thr > -90 ) AND SF↓

L3

( Edge(SH↓, [0:0.5]) ) AND SC↑

L4

( Edge(SH↓, [0:0.5]) ) AND SC↓
Special Functions

SF1

L04 - Instant Trim (0)

SF2

L01 - Reset (Timer1)

SF3

SC↑ - Play Track (fm-7)

SF4

SC↓ - Play Track (fm-8)

SF5

SF↑ - Play Track (disarm)

SF6

SF↓ - Play Track (armed)

SF7

L03 - Play Value (TMR1)

SF8

SB↑ - Play Track (fm-1)

SF9

SB- - Play Track (fm-2)

SF10

SB↓ - Play Track (fm-3)

SF11

SA↑ - Play Track (fm-acr)

SF12

!SA↑ - Play Track (fm-nrm)

SF13

ON - Adjust GV3 (S1)

SF14

ON - Adjust GV4 (S2)
Telemetry

Protocol

FrSky S.PORT

RSSI Alarms

Low: < 39; Critical: < 42; Telemetry audio: Enable

Altimetry

Vario source: None

Vario limits > Sink max: -10; Sink min: -0.5; Climb min: 0.5; Climb max: 10; Center silent: No

Top Bar

Volts source: None; Altitude source: None

JasonK

Cool experiment. I thought it would yaw a lot with all that drag. Wonder why not:unsure:. Could you share your program from the opentx?
I started with something around +50 on S1 and S2... when that didn't work I turned them all the way up and tried again (which caused the crash in the video)

right here is where I turn up the rudder gains:

and it ended up crashing shortly after... the +100% on the rudder would have basically saturated the servos, on the left side.

Scotto

Elite member
You could try using an iron to smooth it out and thin that front ~25%. Maybe less overall drag would make the differential more noticable.

JasonK

It would be interesting to see some flights when the wind(gusty) is blowing.
you mean like every single flight in that video? the flags were full at that field... the weird red block should have been text pointing out when the FPV feed was facing the trees that the wind was coming from. The wind comes over the tree tops and causes quite a bit of turbulence ( which is basically always a given at this location... the only variation is how bad it is).

here is a picture I took to show what the wind was like:
1623946901817.png

L Edge

Master member
I tried the aileron differential(no programming needed) which generates uneven drag just on the wing and can be used only with elevons. I tried both positive and negative values with no such luck. Was hoping you could succeed.

You showed the Flitetest video above about adding rudders to the wing. It can be done a different way and this is my "Udder Rudder" which is centerlined and works well in wind and gusty conditions. By adding controllable yaw to the roll and pitch axis, it now makes a wing act like any other airplane. Landings with crosswinds is a breeze. That is 1/2 of the problem with wings.

Explaining "Udder Rudder"

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-new-tools-to-enjoy-flying-in-the-wind.67067/
\

JasonK

I tried the aileron differential(no programming needed) which generates uneven drag just on the wing and can be used only with elevons. I tried both positive and negative values with no such luck. Was hoping you could succeed.

You showed the Flitetest video above about adding rudders to the wing. It can be done a different way and this is my "Udder Rudder" which is centerlined and works well in wind and gusty conditions. By adding controllable yaw to the roll and pitch axis, it now makes a wing act like any other airplane. Landings with crosswinds is a breeze. That is 1/2 of the problem with wings.

Explaining "Udder Rudder"

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-new-tools-to-enjoy-flying-in-the-wind.67067/
\
aileron differential is mostly to prevent adverse yaw from rolling, I did expect this to get some yaw, but it could also be being over ridden by other aspects of the air-frame stabilizing it. without the split, you can't add drag without effecting roll/pitch.