Sport cub s2 not connecting

BT Aeronautics

Hi everyone! I am very new to radio controlled airplanes my first plane was a Hobby Zone Sport Cub s2 after many crashes both wings had been broken, the nose had fallen off and been glued back on, the tail section was in very bad shape, the gearbox had been replaced twice, the motor had been replaced, and I had been through about 10 prop's. Surprisingly enough it was holding up very well until one day when I took it out to fly all it would do was nosedive into the ground I tried trimming it and everything else I knew to do but nothing worked, so I took it apart got the electronics out, went to dollar tree and got some rediboard, I built quite a few designs and some flew, some didn't fly well, and on one design it crashed and broke the negative wire on my battery connector. Thankfully my grandfather from Ohio was coming to visit and he is a professional at soldiering after we finished soldiering it I let the soldier cool, then I plugged it in it and turned it on but now it won't connect to the transmitter, maybe the board overheated? I don't know if anyone has ideas please let me know. Thanks

BT aeronautics.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Make sure the Rx is getting power, you may have damaged the ESC also. Then look carefully at the antenna to see if it is damaged.

Last edited:

bisco

Elite member
Hi everyone! I am very new to radio controlled airplanes my first plane was a Hobby Zone Sport Cub s2 after many crashes both wings had been broken, the nose had fallen off and been glued back on, the tail section was in very bad shape, the gearbox had been replaced twice, the motor had been replaced, and I had been through about 10 prop's. Surprisingly enough it was holding up very well until one day when I took it out to fly all it would do was nosedive into the ground I tried trimming it and everything else I knew to do but nothing worked, so I took it apart got the electronics out, went to dollar tree and got some rediboard, I built quite a few designs and some flew, some didn't fly well, and on one design it crashed and broke the negative wire on my battery connector. Thankfully my grandfather from Ohio was coming to visit and he is a professional at soldiering after we finished soldiering it I let the soldier cool, then I plugged it in it and turned it on but now it won't connect to the transmitter, maybe the board overheated? I don't know if anyone has ideas please let me know. Thanks

BT aeronautics.
probably. you should never soldier solder

BT Aeronautics

Make sure the Rx is getting power, you may have damaged the ESC also. Then look carefully at the antenna to see if it is damaged.

Thank you.
I have checked everything visually and it does appear to be getting power, I will do some more research. Thank you for giving me some ideas of what to check.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...what to check.
FIY
The active element of the antenna is the white wire in this photo, it must be a specific length. Keep is fairly straight and away from anything metallic or carbon fiber. The black part, is the antenna lead, it can be any length, tie it in a knot, bury it in metal, you don’t care. If you get a nick in the lead, in the outer braid, you kill your range.

If you cut the active element, just peal back some of the outer braid and expose more of the inner wire. If the lead is damaged, remove it from the board, cut off the damage and solder it back on. This type of damage often occurs as the lead is passing through the receiver case.

1632232083890.jpg

BT Aeronautics

FIY
The active element of the antenna is the white wire in this photo, it must be a specific length. Keep is fairly straight and away from anything metallic or carbon fiber. The black part, is the antenna lead, it can be any length, tie it in a knot, bury it in metal, you don’t care. If you get a nick in the lead, in the outer braid, you kill your range.

If you cut the active element, just peal back some of the outer braid and expose more of the inner wire. If the lead is damaged, remove it from the board, cut off the damage and solder it back on. This type of damage often occurs as the lead is passing through the receiver case.

View attachment 207932
Thank you for the information can you please tell me where exactly the antenna is on this
20210924_124237.jpg

Bricks

Master member
horizon has a different method on some of their rx's i think

Some of there new receivers have a built in antennas so there is nothing sticking out of the receiver. But this one in the picture does have an antenna as mentioned above.

Bricks

Master member
When the battery is plugged in are you getting any lights. With the picture the tag is hiding the solder joint that I presume is where it was soldered. It is possible when soldering it back on destroyed the foil in the receiver if it was to hot when soldered. Do you have a DC voltage meter if so I would check the voltage on the backside of where the battery connections are soldered and if the foil is still in tacked.

BT Aeronautics

When the battery is plugged in are you getting any lights. With the picture the tag is hiding the solder joint that I presume is where it was soldered. It is possible when soldering it back on destroyed the foil in the receiver if it was to hot when soldered. Do you have a DC voltage meter if so I would check the voltage on the backside of where the battery connections are soldered and if the foil is still in tacked.

When I plug it in I get lights and AS3X kicks in and makes the servos move. I am pretty sure we have a DC voltage meter but I will have to have my dad help me find it. Thanks for your help!

BT AERONAUTICS

razorflyer422

BT aeronautics.
hi, my brother burned the foam on his by spray painting it, but the electronics are fine. what designs worked for you?, any flite test planes, maybe scaling them down, or do you have your own designs, could you give me a link or a picture?. maybe wingspan and length of the fuselage so I know what size to make it?. thanks.