Sportster build update

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Just had a long weekend off work and almosyt got my Sportster finished, I usually varnish the finished models with a thin coat of satin (or gloss - deoending on the model) varnish to seal them against moisture. I managed to complete part of it the Sportster, just needs finishing off over the next few days.
Here are some updated pictures
Sportster 1.jpg

Sportster 2.jpg

Timmy

Legendary member
Just had a long weekend off work and almosyt got my Sportster finished, I usually varnish the finished models with a thin coat of satin (or gloss - deoending on the model) varnish to seal them against moisture. I managed to complete part of it the Sportster, just needs finishing off over the next few days.
Here are some updated pictures View attachment 184158
View attachment 184159
looks lovely with the shine. How long did it take you to paint? Did you paint after assembly or before?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Always paint after the build and in 75% of my models use acrylic brush on paint (hence the wavey lines). Unless there is an area that will be difficult to access after the completed build.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Painting can take days depending on the size of the model this has taken me 3 days, each colour requirs 2 cotes to give a consistent finish. As for the imperfections ie wavey lines and minor smudges, "you wont see them when it's flying" as my good mate would say.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have on some models but very rare, this is hand painted as was the Spitfire, Pipercub. The Versa Wing I sprayed with a Fluorescent yellow and hand painted sculls on. The Old Fogey I sprayed again with fluorescent paint, the rest are all hand painted.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I bought an airbrush but it was a cheap one, as they say you get what you pay for. So saving up for a decent quality version this time, so I will be looking into spraying my acryilic paint in the New Year.

Tench745

Master member
I bought an airbrush but it was a cheap one, as they say you get what you pay for. So saving up for a decent quality version this time, so I will be looking into spraying my acryilic paint in the New Year.
I struggled through a couple cheap airbrushes for painting plastic models. Finally bit the bullet and bought an expensive (to me at the time) Iwata Neo. So much nicer to use and more consistent results. There are a lot of more expensive models out there than the one I bought, but the Neo seems adequate for my uses.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I struggled through a couple cheap airbrushes for painting plastic models. Finally bit the bullet and bought an expensive (to me at the time) Iwata Neo. So much nicer to use and more consistent results. There are a lot of more expensive models out there than the one I bought, but the Neo seems adequate for my uses.
Thanks I have seen all sorts of reviews and been at a loss which to buy, as I dont intend to paint body art or anting that detailed I wont need a top of the range. All I need is something that will cover my FT models faster than hand brushing, but leave a nice finish.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The IWATA Neo are less than I was expecting to pay, on Ebay they are between 75 and 85 GBP. Its my birthday in February think that will be my present this year.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I finally got the Sportster finished today, all varnished. Checked my throws got them on a three way switch Low (for the maiden), Medium (for sedate flying) and High (for acrobatics).
I also marked up the battery bay so I know where to place the battery for the optimum CG, this gives me a little nose down attitude for the first flight, plenty of room to move it back if necessary.
Finally I set up an Aileron, Rudder mix on one of my transmitter sliders. So I can add rudder in on my turns and make them co ordinated. The slider option allows me to graduate the rudder amount from zero to 50%, that way I can optimise the best setting while flying. Once I know the ideal position I can set it up as an on off option on a 2 way switch instead.
Hopefully next Wednesday I can get down to my club and maiden it, assuming the Covid isolation is temporarily lifted on that date.

Timmy

Legendary member
I finally got the Sportster finished today, all varnished. Checked my throws got them on a three way switch Low (for the maiden), Medium (for sedate flying) and High (for acrobatics).
I also marked up the battery bay so I know where to place the battery for the optimum CG, this gives me a little nose down attitude for the first flight, plenty of room to move it back if necessary.
Finally I set up an Aileron, Rudder mix on one of my transmitter sliders. So I can add rudder in on my turns and make them co ordinated. The slider option allows me to graduate the rudder amount from zero to 50%, that way I can optimise the best setting while flying. Once I know the ideal position I can set it up as an on off option on a 2 way switch instead.
Hopefully next Wednesday I can get down to my club and maiden it, assuming the Covid isolation is temporarily lifted on that date.
Looks like you're nice and prepared!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Looks like you're nice and prepared!
I might not even use the aileron rudder mix on the maiden, but its there as an option for subsequent flights.
Probably start off flying one of my Tiny Trainers before the maiden, that way it helps shrug off any nerves and allows me to climatise to the surrounding weather. The club site is prone to some areas with turbulance particularly at one end of the runway, so always a good idea to test out the conditions first with a sacraficial plane.
IMG-20200507-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200507-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20200710-WA0001.jpg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
You will have noticed the canopy on the 4ch version of the Tiny Trainers, the battery resides under there. I use a 3s 1000mAh when I am flying them or a 3s 700mAh depending on the wind conditions.
These batteries dont fit under the motor, too big so I came up with the easy access canopy.
The red and yellow versions use the smaller motor option the MT1806 2280kv.
The camo version uses the MT2204 2300kv motor for a bit more oomph.
The 3ch version I fly with a 2s 500mAh and it floats around the sky great.

Timmy

Legendary member
You will have noticed the canopy on the 4ch version of the Tiny Trainers, the battery resides under there. I use a 3s 1000mAh when I am flying them or a 3s 700mAh depending on the wind conditions.
These batteries dont fit under the motor, too big so I came up with the easy access canopy.
The red and yellow versions use the smaller motor option the MT1806 2280kv.
The camo version uses the MT2204 2300kv motor for a bit more oomph.
The 3ch version I fly with a 2s 500mAh and it floats around the sky great.
Thats a good idea with the canopy! I always had problems with fitting the battery in my TT. Great soloution. I might have to copy you.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
@IanT Nice painting on your sportster. I did a similar design on mine. It's a fun plane.

Any video of it flying?
Sadly no, a camera has been low on my priority list although I am looking at buying a Morbius at some point this year and a head cam. Unfortunately I have only managed to fly it once before the Government came along and imposed another lockdown. This meant my club site as been closed all year basically.
I can fly in the farmers field at the bottom of my garden but the ground is too rough for anything but belly lander, even my Tiny Trainers have lost a couple of props recently to frozen soil.