Sportster Picture and Maiden Thread

Marty72

Elite member
Well, I haven't flown a Sportster is about a year and half. My skills have develop since then and I thought I'd build another. I did and was reminded what a nice flying plane it is (take off and landing too). After today's maiden, I'm thinking about building a scaled up version for the field, somewhere between a 1.25 to 1.5 scale. Anyway, here's the stock scale Sportster, I'm calling this one the Great Pumpkin. Fun, durable plane. Rimfire 3536 1200, 45 amp esc, 10x7 apc prop.

IMG_3359.JPG

Parramon

Hi Marty:
First, congratulations for your nice Sporster.
I hope your bigest Sporter flying soon and we can see it.
I agree about the durability and the easy fliying.
I Only disagree about the landing gear. When the Sportster lands, it tends to turn from one side to another.
I tested a improve in the landing gear and was a sucesfull.
Its necessary to do more rigid and join the wheels in the same axis
Tomorrow I will upload a picture.

Marty72

Elite member
Hi Marty:
First, congratulations for your nice Sporster.
I hope your bigest Sporter flying soon and we can see it.
I agree about the durability and the easy fliying.
I Only disagree about the landing gear. When the Sportster lands, it tends to turn from one side to another.
I tested a improve in the landing gear and was a sucesfull.
Its necessary to do more rigid and join the wheels in the same axis
Tomorrow I will upload a picture.
You've built a very nice plane, a lot of attention to detail. Yes, your gear looks to be more sturdy than the "stock" design. The stock design works fine for me, because I fly at a short grass flying field and I've been flying large warbirds with retracts for about 6 months now. What do retracts have to do with this? Well, they are very fragile, so you learn by necessity to land gently and smoothly. ( I have ripped a couple out). I do want to see the details of your gear design (as I expect other will too). Maybe a photo from the bottom of the plane.

Parramon

You've built a very nice plane, a lot of attention to detail. Yes, your gear looks to be more sturdy than the "stock" design. The stock design works fine for me, because I fly at a short grass flying field and I've been flying large warbirds with retracts for about 6 months now. What do retracts have to do with this? Well, they are very fragile, so you learn by necessity to land gently and smoothly. ( I have ripped a couple out). I do want to see the details of your gear design (as I expect other will too). Maybe a photo from the bottom of the plane.
Hi again Marty:
You right, the original desing is good for grass because its soft.
The flying field of my club its made with asfalt and a hard suspension works better.
Two years ago I uploaded a video about the easy improvement of the Sportster landing gear.
I hope will be helpfull.

Attachments

• DSCN2441.JPG
    DSCN2441.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2437.JPG
    DSCN2437.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2439.JPG
    DSCN2439.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2440.JPG
    DSCN2440.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Marty72

Elite member
That's awesome! It's pretty simple too. If I make a larger scaled version, I'll try that out. About a year and a half ago, I was flying at a flying field with a hard surface and it was bumpy, that gear was horrible (sort of forgot about that). It would bounce the plane from side to side and hit the wing tips (causing a flip). Grass is very forgiving and if it's short it is actually easier to land and take off (for beginners) than a hard surface.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That's awesome! It's pretty simple too. If I make a larger scaled version, I'll try that out. About a year and a half ago, I was flying at a flying field with a hard surface and it was bumpy, that gear was horrible (sort of forgot about that). It would bounce the plane from side to side and hit the wing tips (causing a flip). Grass is very forgiving and if it's short it is actually easier to land and take off (for beginners) than a hard surface.
Landing on hard surfaces definitely take practice. I recently got an Eflite p-39 and have been getting the landings down pretty well, but I’m still working on the f-16, that one’s a tough bird to grease the landings with.

Parramon

Hi Marty;
Yesterday I forgot a little detail. I used a piece of can betwin the bottom of fuselage and the landing gear to reinforce the foam board.
Fortunately, theren´t bumps in my club's fly field, anyway it remains difficult to land on hard surfaces.
I agree with Hangar and you.