Spousal Abuse

JDWells

We built a tiny trainer and we're learning to fly. I've gotten so that I can mostly keep it in the air and my wife wanted to try. I leveled the plane out and handed it over. She instantly banks left and spikes it into the ground. I tried to tell her that it's fine, we can rebuild her but she feels bad. In retrospect I should've had it higher when I handed it over or probably launched it so she had control from the beginning. Also I'm going to get her to practice on the sim with me. I'm sure there are similar stories out there. How do you keep your significant other from getting frustrated? Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Just keep making it not a problem. When it is no longer fun, don't push it.

You can also let her see how cheap and easy the rebuild is. That way she gets to see that it is really no big deal to crash one of these foamies.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Mine just flat out wont try. And in the early days I thought my son was purposely crashing, aiming for things, or doing the exact opposite of what i told him. He swears he wasnt but we all can tell when something is done on purpose or by accident

BobK

Banned
Since it is your wife and hopefully she allows you close enough ;)..have her hold the tx like she is flying and stand behind her with your hands in front by hers, even over her hands. I taught my wife this way using my fingers to move hers so she gets the feel of the controls. This way you are there to correct a bad turn, and also showing her support.

kacknor

Build another!
If she does try again: Simulator, Altitude, and Slow Flight! Of the three, the simulator is better. It's not flying, but we all know that if you are thinking about your thumbs it's already too late.

The best of course is a second radio and buddy box, but...

For now, let her know that flying is crashing, and if you going to do one your get the other. ;)

JD

guitchess

Since it is your wife and hopefully she allows you close enough ;)..have her hold the tx like she is flying and stand behind her with your hands in front by hers, even over her hands. I taught my wife this way using my fingers to move hers so she gets the feel of the controls. This way you are there to correct a bad turn, and also showing her support.

LOL. My crazy mind just went to the potter's wheel scene in ghost, Righteous Brothers playing in the background and all.

JDWells

Everybody remember, I'm almost as new as she is so I don't that buddy boxing would help any. Maybe. I thought about "ghosting" it but I didn't want her to feel crowded. Maybe either of those would work. Also, she helped me build a couple of these so she knows it's no big deal.
I definitely don't think she did it on purpose though. She seems pretty excited about it. And she got it off a roof last week when I crash landed it up there.

BobK

Banned
LOL. My crazy mind just went to the potter's wheel scene in ghost, Righteous Brothers playing in the background and all.

Perfect, nothing wrong with that and kind of the point, unless hers doesn't follow lol ;) It is his wife for crying out loud, he has an almost nonexistent window where she is showing interest and support for his hobby don't give her something fake or hook her to a cord, she can lose that interest REAL fast.

BobK

Banned
Everybody remember, I'm almost as new as she is so I don't that buddy boxing would help any. Maybe. I thought about "ghosting" it but I didn't want her to feel crowded. Maybe either of those would work. Also, she helped me build a couple of these so she knows it's no big deal.
I definitely don't think she did it on purpose though. She seems pretty excited about it. And she got it off a roof last week when I crash landed it up there.

Ok, if she is getting your plane off the roof for you..then you are a very lucky man :D!

JDWells

Perfect, nothing wrong with that and kind of the point, unless hers doesn't follow lol ;) It is his wife for crying out loud, he has an almost nonexistent window where she is showing interest and support for his hobby don't give her something fake or hook her to a cord, she can lose that interest REAL fast.

This! I have lots of hobbies and she is supportive enough to let me do them usually. This one she actually wants to be involved in! I'm in whether I blow a bunch of planes up or not, but she's going to get discouraged real fast. I think the biggest thing will be attitude for sure. Make sure I laugh when we break things. Thanks for all the advice either way guys!

JDWells

We built a nutball and I'm going to make it a pusher style to save the motor and prop. I think we'll paint it tonight while we wait for electronics to get here in a couple days. And we're going to rebuild the tiny trainer. I need to figure out how to get the battery inside it and keep the cg right. Like I said, I'm new. lol

JDWells

Fixed it! And moved the servos to the rear outside to make more room in the fuselage for the battery. Still have to fix/replace the receiver. When the plane hit it yanked the motor which yanked the rx and the antennas popped right out. It's a FRSky x8r with the dongle antennas so any advice there would be appreciated.

image.jpeg

oOFutteOo

Nice give the tiny trainer some color too, i cant orientatet the plane if it is White mabye your wife is like that.

Ronny1

oh yeah guys, it is quite difficult to deal with wives when they are in a panic or emotional. I have been married for a long time and I constantly have to fight with my wife when she has nervous breakdowns, no matter what I do, she is so often unhappy, although in general, we seem to be doing well, we do have feelings to each other, but I feel she`s annoyed every single day, there is a psychological view about this topic which describes cases in a relationship when love is not enough and you need to notice different signs of unhappy marriage before it goes to hell for change the direction of it or for stop it forever, I need to go through it

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would take the "Crafty" approach. A lot of woman they like arts n crafts type things and foamboard airplanes would be in that wheelhouse easily. Specially if you give them liberty to decorate one all frilly and gurly like hehe.

You can use a build as a lure to reel em in. Start a build and make sure they are around to "ask suggestions" on painting or sticker bombing one. Be there with the hot glue gun when this happens and ask for an extra pair of hands to hold something in place.. Make it look fun and attractive to their crafty senses and use the glue gun as the shiny lure to wave in front of her.

Bricks

Master member

I tried doing this once with a Hooters girl instead of buddy boxing and got slapped...... It was worth it should of heard the laughs from the rest of the guy`s.