Spreading your philosophy

Stickyayo

Hi guys, I think you guys have put together something really special and think you guys should consider expanding into the northeast. As someone who was basically priced out of the hobby as a child, as well as not having anyone to show me the basic knowledge and skills necessary I have a vested interest in seeing this hobby spread because it is so darn fun and can be relatively cheap. Plus I'd like to enjoy this hobby with others with the same passion. Anyways, here in Boston and new england in general you have a large and basically untapped market that I think is ripe to consider expanding into. Even if you were to come for just a day I think the repercussions would be positive and far reaching and I would be more than willing to help point you guys in the right direction or be a part of the process. I'm not looking for a job or a handout, I just want this hobby to spread and expand and for it to become enjoyable for all.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's the thing with the internet, it's a double edged sword. It is good for spreading the word and getting people into the hobby, even makes it easier to get gear shipped to your door so there is no need to leave the house for a few props. Other side of the coin is that because of the internet, the LHS's are closing down making the exposure of the hobby non existent to the people who aren't in the hobby yet. Most of the new comers into the hobby are invited by word of mouth, peoples friends, family, or neighbors see what is taking their interest and get curious themselves, then they watch a flight or two and get hooked, kinda like drugs. I am hobby addict now, and proud of it, and anyone I know in the hobby that is local have been in the hobby for awhile, longer then me. I might have 2 friends that showed interest but life tends to get in the way to find mutual time to hook up for some flying time.

The thing with having a flying event makes it easy to get anyone involved and shows how easy it is to get into it whether you are young, old, rich or poor... in sickness or in health... wait, that's something completely different lol. Anyway I think more organized events is a good idea, brings the spotlight back to the exposure this hobby needs. Great idea

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That's the thing with the internet, it's a double edged sword. It is good for spreading the word and getting people into the hobby, even makes it easier to get gear shipped to your door so there is no need to leave the house for a few props. Other side of the coin is that because of the internet, the LHS's are closing down making the exposure of the hobby non existent to the people who aren't in the hobby yet. Most of the new comers into the hobby are invited by word of mouth, peoples friends, family, or neighbors see what is taking their interest and get curious themselves, then they watch a flight or two and get hooked, kinda like drugs. I am hobby addict now, and proud of it, and anyone I know in the hobby that is local have been in the hobby for awhile, longer then me. I might have 2 friends that showed interest but life tends to get in the way to find mutual time to hook up for some flying time.

The thing with having a flying event makes it easy to get anyone involved and shows how easy it is to get into it whether you are young, old, rich or poor... in sickness or in health... wait, that's something completely different lol. Anyway I think more organized events is a good idea, brings the spotlight back to the exposure this hobby needs. Great idea
I 2nd this. Maybe you could come to Flitefest Ohio next time @Stickyayo

Flite Risk

So i was thinking of putting together a class/seminar/demo event at a local library .
I am no expert but I can open the door for people is my thought.

Maybe eventually do a build night, set up a simulator etc.

Buy libraries/maker spaces/meet up events could all be great places for an ambassador to preach the RC gospel

Piotrsko

Master member
IMHO: from experience doing all sorts of leadership stuff: just go out there into public places and be responsibly visible while doing your thing. Be visible but not annoying, even to us lawn lovers.
I can't tell you how many times I have to explain what I'm doing to enraptured passersby. EAA said to get 1 ATP, you need to excite 1,000 kids. Get busy.

Hobby shops went away because they couldn't compete against prices like hobby shack, bangood, amazon. You wouldn't buy stuff local for more money. You now get to wait a couple of days to buy a cheap prop.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
What are you looking for from Flite Test? Take the reins yourself, and get people interested. Find a club, build some planes, show them what they can do. That's what I did; I started out with a quad, found FliteTest and built a Sea Duck. I then took it to my field and launched it from their runway - only sea plane they've had that takes off and lands on the runway there, because there's no water to land on! :)

I've since gone on to show up at Maker's Faires around San Diego, helping out on Model Aviation Day with our club, and in general doing everything I can to get people interested in the hobby. I've even gotten onto the board for our club, and will be bringing up some suggestions that we start doing street fairs and community events. This is not only a great way to get people interested, but help establish you as a part of the community should you need to find a flying field or legitimize your activities.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You wouldn't buy stuff local for more money. You now get to wait a couple of days to buy a cheap prop.
I am guilty of this, just did it last night. I have been waiting for over two weeks for my LHS to get in a 10 pack of servos in at the tune of about $45 CA. Just ordered the same servos, same size, same quantity, for less then half the price including shipping, and will probably show up in half the time, maybe... Ebay, Hong Kong, who knows lol

sprzout

Mentor
IMHO: from experience doing all sorts of leadership stuff: just go out there into public places and be responsibly visible while doing your thing. Be visible but not annoying, even to us lawn lovers.
I can't tell you how many times I have to explain what I'm doing to enraptured passersby. EAA said to get 1 ATP, you need to excite 1,000 kids. Get busy.

Hobby shops went away because they couldn't compete against prices like hobby shack, bangood, amazon. You wouldn't buy stuff local for more money. You now get to wait a couple of days to buy a cheap prop.

Unfortunately, not all LHS are the same. I have 3 around San Diego that I frequent, and a fourth literally right up the street from me that I avoid. The two I go to are Discount Hobbies, which are run by a great group of guys, and are more than willing to get parts that I ask for if they don't already have them in stock (and many times, they DO have it).

The shop that's right up the street from me has very little time for anyone not interested in cars/trucks, and overprices his materials. I wanted linkage stoppers, and when I bought them from one of the shops I like, they wanted something like $7 for a package of them (it was a large pack). I went to the shop right up the street, and they wanted $14 for the same pack. Foam Safe Glue, they wanted $16 for a little bottle of it. $9 for the same stuff at one of the other hobby shops.

I get that buying local can help keep the hobby around, and I don't mind paying a couple bucks more if I can get it today. But when it's nearly double for stuff that I consider "consumables"? They've priced themselves right out of my purchasing and convenience.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
At the LHS as a consumer I tend to but the discount stuff, if I can get props and spinners for a couple bucks a piece I am in. Talking to the guys and just tire kicking around the shop has been a valuable experience but other then that I would rather buy online and wait.

Piotrsko

Master member
I try my best to buy local, but can't afford 2.5 x the typical Internet price that I have seen around here. 8.00 for 1 plastic prop.
Yeah but some days are so perfect you just need that prop right now. I just missed 2weeks flying waiting for my personal restock of props. It's snowing now.
I hear all of you and understand but the LHS situation is what it is. Yes there are jerks out there, yes they are overpriced, yes they have poor selection. Just don't whine about it when the LHS goes away.

Stickyayo

I love all the enthusiasm guys! I am trying to grab the reigns but I have to be honest I just dont have the knowledge or experience....yet. Like can you imagine having a weekend festival in Bostons city hall and having one of those flite test races around the plaza?! Itd be sick! And soooo many people would want to take that first tentative step toward the hobby...once you take that step as most of us know, it just gets in your blood! I fly around my neighborhood with a little park flyer and all the kids love it. I'd love to do a workshop or something like that for them so they could get into too

Stickyayo

Anyways I just got my new plane. I now have a 800mm warbird, a 64 mm edf jet and a 1.3 m trainer. I'll start with these three...well I already started with the jet and warbird and you guys know how that goes...theres a nor'Easter right now. Might have to wait Z day or 2 f ok r maiden

Piotrsko

Master member
I love all the enthusiasm guys! I am trying to grab the reigns but I have to be honest I just dont have the knowledge or experience....yet

Nobody does when they just start out, you just do your best, and HOPE. Worst that can happen? You're successful. Trust me, BTDTMO.

sprzout

Mentor
I love all the enthusiasm guys! I am trying to grab the reigns but I have to be honest I just dont have the knowledge or experience....yet. Like can you imagine having a weekend festival in Bostons city hall and having one of those flite test races around the plaza?! Itd be sick! And soooo many people would want to take that first tentative step toward the hobby...once you take that step as most of us know, it just gets in your blood! I fly around my neighborhood with a little park flyer and all the kids love it. I'd love to do a workshop or something like that for them so they could get into too

While that might seem like a cool idea, flying in the plaza would be DANGEROUS. Imagine 50-100 people trying to fly around those buildings. A plane makes an impact on a window, and you have some very angry building owners. Crash into a car on the roads next to the plaza, and you now have a lawsuit and potential misdemeanor or felony charges if it does damage or injures someone. I think you might e better off flying over by Frog Pond, in that park area.

Good enthusiasm, but safety first. I speak from experience - I was hit in the head a few weeks back with a Versa Wing; I was wearing a helmet for safety due to the simultaneous launches and that I was ahead of the pilot's boxes. Had I not been wearing the helmet, I KNOW I would have ended up going to the hospital.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Unfortunately, not all LHS are the same. I have 3 around San Diego that I frequent, and a fourth literally right up the street from me that I avoid. The two I go to are Discount Hobbies, which are run by a great group of guys, and are more than willing to get parts that I ask for if they don't already have them in stock (and many times, they DO have it).

The shop that's right up the street from me has very little time for anyone not interested in cars/trucks, and overprices his materials. I wanted linkage stoppers, and when I bought them from one of the shops I like, they wanted something like $7 for a package of them (it was a large pack). I went to the shop right up the street, and they wanted $14 for the same pack. Foam Safe Glue, they wanted $16 for a little bottle of it. $9 for the same stuff at one of the other hobby shops.

I get that buying local can help keep the hobby around, and I don't mind paying a couple bucks more if I can get it today. But when it's nearly double for stuff that I consider "consumables"? They've priced themselves right out of my purchasing and convenience.

I think if I were to own a hobby shop I would start with researching most popular disposables. Then figure out what going market value is and make sure not to price them over what they would be for the item + online shipping to be more competitive. And you know me.. Id be spending more time yakking about the hobby then working hehe.

Another thing hobby shops should get into is local build nights or holding short one or two evening classes on things like how to solder PROPERLY, or how to flash flight controllers or esc's. After all that is the business they are in and the more informed the patrons the more they can or will want to do so that leads to more spending. If you have the respect and the knowledge no reason a LHS can not make it in todays world.

If they are the type going for exclusivity or high mark up low item count sales methods they will go under pretty fast.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's a good idea, I have yet to walk into a hobby shop and see any notices or hear any word of a build night or any store direct lessons. I do see a couple posters of events or meets at other airfields but they are mostly annual stuff. That kind of stuff would be easy to organize and as a clerk easy to promote.