stalls

silverknight

is there a way we could convince you to do an episode dedicated to stalling?

I'm fairly new to the hobby, and i kinda know what stall is by growing up on an air base, but i've seen you talk about wing tip stall, vertical stall, testing stalls, and recovering from stalls, but i don't think i've ever seen you explain how to test or recover or what the effects are on the plane during stalls.

Thanks,

Silver

earthsciteach

That is a good subject, particularly for beginners. I think several planes would have to be utilized in such an episode, as the characteristics of a given plane in stall vary so greatly.

The term 'tip stall' really refers to a plane with a nasty stall personality. Some planes are so gentle in a stall (HZ Super Cub) that it feels like you are in complete control holding the elevator full up all the way to the ground.

It would be interesting to see how FT approaches this episode.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Agreed, there are a lot of factors. Supercub LP's stall so nicely because of the large dihedral of the wing. Planes with a flat wing tend to tip stall and drop one wing before the other instead of stalling evenly. Warplanes, 3D planes, all generally have this tendency.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
My tutor 40 will land itself if I hold in full up elevator with no power. No such thing as a stall according to that plane

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
My tutor 40 will land itself if I hold in full up elevator with no power. No such thing as a stall according to that plane

Does it have a smooth transition to the ground or does it sort of come down in steps?

All planes will stall, yours just may not have enough elevator to pull up into a stall with the engine off. If you build up some speed and start to climb it will run out of lift and stall then fall but it probably does it in such a gentle fashion that it doesn't appear to have stalled. You can stall it with power on as well. Just pull up a ways with too little power and you will see a true stall out of it. My brother has a .40 size trainer that has really gentle and forgiving stall characteristics. It comes down very gently in a small step like fashion where it builds a little speed and noses up before it gently stalls and noses down....rinse and repeat.

Things like wing loading and CG also have a large amount to do with stall.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I love the G-stall - in high speeds resulting in a snap roll - exciting when you get it low when turning back towards you and thee plane is kind of far away or when leveling out after a fast dive. Most common on fighters with small stabilizers.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I kind of said it tongue in cheek, but it does come down smoothly when holding in full elevator at high rates (higher rates than the manual says, I just have everything on 100%), and doesn't seem to bob. It might be a slightly heavy landing but the plane wouldn't be damaged.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I kind of said it tongue in cheek, but it does come down smoothly when holding in full elevator at high rates (higher rates than the manual says, I just have everything on 100%), and doesn't seem to bob. It might be a slightly heavy landing but the plane wouldn't be damaged.

Ah, sorry. That's a good plane to come down nicely like that. My cub will bob and drop like a leaf. My fourstar was more like your plane.

earthsciteach

pgerts-I have an 800mm Spitfire that you would absolutely love, in that case! I'll sell it to you cheap. It is already in multiple pieces for easy shipping. :rolleyes: