STAR WARS scratch builds

jfaleo1

Star wars has a ton of cool starship designs that look just great, but if you go into the aerodynamics, most of them have huge flaws that make building scale flying replicas almost impossible. It can be a real challenge to find a good balance between scale and good flight caracteristics.

I made this thread so that everyone can share their builds, ideas, information or unknown ship designs.

The biggest issue with most Star Wars designs (X-wing for example) are wings that are too far in the back and a long nose combined with the lack of a vertical stabelizer. That means that if you place your CG on the right spot, you will have extreme yaw issues. To correct the yaw issues, you either need to shift the CG etreamely far to the front or add large vertical stabelizers which would destroy the look.

Once my Maker Foam arrives here in Europe, Im going to build two ships:

The Republic LAAT Gunship, I love its Mil Mi 24 inspired looks and I have some cool Ideas with it:

And the Umbaran starfighter which appears in clone wars and looks very unique:

And here are some extreamely uncommon ships that are very likeley to fly:

You know the standard T-65 X-wing, but theres also a x-83 X-wing that features a twin boom tail. It might not look that nice, buf it would be easy to make it fly:

This thing is a stretched ripoff of the Lippisch P13a I made a while ago (check my profile pic):

This thing got my attention because its cockpit looks quie familar...

...like the BV 40 glider, which is cool because this little plane is armed with two 30mm canons and can reach a speed of 900km/h!!! Its a glider!

And my favorite car manufacturer Porsche just partnered with lucasfilm and created a new ship. I think it looks cool, but it doesnt fit into the Star Wars universe:

So to continue with my streak of "Hey let's build something that won't fly."

How about this, the Razor Crest from The Madalorian on Disney+. Technically I don't think the ship has a name other than this but it seems to be the name of the "type", and sounds cool so fine with me. Already have a set of plans for just over one sheet of DTFB so we will see how it goes:unsure::ROFLMAO: And yes I think it will need to have a clear plastic vertical stab (or two) and I am upsizing the "wings" (term used VERY loosely) a bit.
razor_crest___schematics_by_ravendeviant_ddg096e-fullview.jpg

L Edge

Master member

How about this, the Razor Crest from The Madalorian on Disney+. Technically I don't think the ship has a name other than this but it seems to be the name of the "type", and sounds cool so fine with me. Already have a set of plans for just over one sheet of DTFB so we will see how it goes:unsure::ROFLMAO: And yes I think it will need to have a clear plastic vertical stab (or two) and I am upsizing the "wings" (term used VERY loosely) a bit. View attachment 154111

This one is very "doable" from my viewpoint.

Have you played around with flight controllers? That could handle the yaw problem very easily.

Even if you add clear verts, should go.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member

How about this, the Razor Crest from The Madalorian on Disney+. Technically I don't think the ship has a name other than this but it seems to be the name of the "type", and sounds cool so fine with me. Already have a set of plans for just over one sheet of DTFB so we will see how it goes:unsure::ROFLMAO: And yes I think it will need to have a clear plastic vertical stab (or two) and I am upsizing the "wings" (term used VERY loosely) a bit. View attachment 154111
Very cool choice! I would Install the motor in the front, shift the CG as far to the front as possible and use the engines as round vertical stabs. I also like the animation in the show, it has some realism to it and shows things like reverse thrust and vertical take off with exausts below the engine.

jfaleo1

This one is very "doable" from my viewpoint.

Have you played around with flight controllers? That could handle the yaw problem very easily.

Even if you add clear verts, should go.

No I haven’t, I have a gyro receiver combo but really did not like that much. But we will see.

jfaleo1

Very cool choice! I would Install the motor in the front, shift the CG as far to the front as possible and use the engines as round vertical stabs. I also like the animation in the show, it has some realism to it and shows things like reverse thrust and vertical take off with exausts below the engine.

I was actually thinking along those lines as well. I was thinking of doing the nacelles like the master series builds but completely flow through. May give more wing area and vertical stab surface. Tractor setup will be easiest especially for balance I agree. Thanks

jfaleo1

Forgot to add there is no doubt the animation is very well thought out, really cool.

jfaleo1

Printed out some tiled Alpha plans probably going to tape and cut tonight. thinking on the nacelle skins, deciding between poster board and DTFB with paper partly or completely removed.

jfaleo1

Well it is rough and I may still have a lot more mods to do but here is the Razor Crest so far.... sorry if any are blurry. I am too tonight.🥱
82EF87D3-CE43-4CC7-AC90-AF1F91716295.jpeg BA641F66-1066-4BD9-BC03-F7425C795670.jpeg A0ABF8AD-07A1-4A23-9DD8-3D8F944B397C.jpeg E97AEA64-783A-45A6-9894-CACFBD3C9693.jpeg

jfaleo1

That looks cool, how do you anticipate it will fly?

Possibly like a small bird that was hit by a big rock🤣.
Honestly I’m not sure. I really don’t like the engine nacelles. So I think I may redo them to get a more consistent part and install. After that I think it will fly but it may be very Interesting to say the least.