Start from nothing

Knap

hi guy

I'm new in the hobby, and i have no idea to start whit. the only thing i want its the F-22 Raptor Scratch Build.

i dont have the glue, the tape no controler no receiver the rod and.... So i need to know where to buy all the stuff i will need to make the plane connect all the stuff and its 4 or 5 channel, did i need a Dx5 dx6.

my biggest problem is money. i have a club in my region they maybe could help me but to join its 180$!!

im in quebec (canada) french.

kev

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Are you planning to build or buy more planes later on? That affects the purchases a lot. I know it's hard to tell but I thought I'd ask anyway.

If you want to buy another plane later on I could recommend a more practical charger, Tx, etc.

Expect your first order to be anywhere between $150 - $300. But that amount will get you started well.

Knap

for now i just manage to get this one. i know if later i bought a new one whit retract gear, flare and all this stuff a will need more channel.

let say it will take a long time before a have the retract gear on the plane so 4channel. Like the model that Josh make its a "trow start"
its perfect because i dont manage to get somewhere whit a landing..

and i still need the lowest price.

Bbjen

Hey Knap, i'm in Terrebonne, i' building my first plane too, still waiting on my servos but in the first I bouth the turnigy 9x as a remote, expandable and cheap.

Knap

if there any stuff that i need more than one. like servo i think i need 3. did they sell the tape, the rods and for a little piece of wood to screw the engine, any idea where i can get it?

thx

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey Knap, i'm in Terrebonne, i' building my first plane too, still waiting on my servos but in the first I bouth the turnigy 9x as a remote, expandable and cheap.

The Turnigy 9X is an excellent option as long as you want to spend the small difference. It's a beginners - intermediate - half advanced system for an excellent price.

It's about $25 more, it will increase your shipping weight a bit, but it is always on backorder, and it's sold out fast.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
if there any stuff that i need more than one. like servo i think i need 3. did they sell the tape, the rods and for a little piece of wood to screw the engine, any idea where i can get it?

thx

I have only listed stuff you can get from HobbyKing. Look around town for a small hardware or wood shop. You'll need to get some piano (steel) wire for the control rods, some small screws and a piece of wood to mount the engine, and the tape at your local hardware/wood/garden/home store. Just look around where you live, it will be cheaper!

Bbjen

For the wood, Look at Dolorama, it will be your new friend for cheap marerial.

For my firewall wood plate I used a birdhouse Front, the wood seems perfect.

Knap

k nice, so im gona check all this stuff. maybe the rod whit not be piano rod :p but i know the lighter i get, beter it will flight.

For now its look like this :

1 charger 11.44$, 1 propeller 1.64$, heat shrink tube 0.35$, 1 pin connector 0.75$, 2 500mAh 11.58$, hobbyking hks6 28.41$, turnigy park 300 13.44$, redbrick20a 6.47$,2 micro servo 10.45$

total 85$

any idea for the carbon tube?

and you tell me to put a 1600rv and on the plan its a 1300!! can you tell me why

i see this model of servo, cheaper, doing the same thing i think. the only problem i backorder, but the price is better. any suggestion.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9549__Turnigy_TG9e_9g_1_5kg_0_10sec_Eco_Micro_Servo.html

:p my list if almost complete

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
any idea for the carbon tube?

and you tell me to put a 1600rv and on the plan its a 1300!! can you tell me why

i see this model of servo, cheaper, doing the same thing i think. the only problem i backorder, but the price is better. any suggestion.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9549__Turnigy_TG9e_9g_1_5kg_0_10sec_Eco_Micro_Servo.html

:p my list if almost complete

Adding carbon or fiberglass will increase shipping cost drastically - as an extra cardboard tube is included for protection.

I posted the motor FliteTest used on their video. The propeller is my guess.

Yeah, waiting for a backorder is quite boring. So get something that's in stock. The orange HobbyKing servos seem to have good reviews and they are cheap and in stock.

Knap

k thx for the advice, im gonna try to find some carbon somewhere in Sherbrooke (qc). and im still looking for the small rod that will be connect to the aileron to the servo.

See what i found today

Tape, 2 wood rod, isolate foam and the firewall for the engine (yeah a piece of horizontal windows store)

Attachments

• DSC_0197.JPG
    DSC_0197.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0196.JPG
    DSC_0196.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 34

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yeah! Nice Finds! You know, if you find small fiberglass rods you can use those too. I have personally used wood sticks from the gardening dept.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
If you have any welding supply stores nearby see if they carry Tig welding filler rod. I use aluminum, stainless and titanium for my push rods. The aluminum is easiest to work with though.

Thurmond

jd7792

No body has gone there yet so I'll go out on the limb! Have you thought about starting off on a RTF plane such as the Bixler? I've been flying now for about a year and love the hobby totally. I fly a Skysurfer, which is almost identical to the Bixler. In the mean time I have two scratch builds on the way. I have built an F16 but am still waiting for some parts. I also have a Delta wing half done, so while waiting for bits and having a ball building planes I can still be in the air with something that I know will fly from start.

Anyway just another way to get into the hobby and well worth considering. I would never suggest forgetting the scratch builds as they a fantastic part of the hobby, but spend some time reading through threads on this site and explore other sites before making a decision.

Good luck which ever way you go!

Bbjen

If you are like me, buying something ready made is not an option. I want my first plane to be the one I have built myself just to be proud of it. I spent a lot of time on the simulator so for the flying and landing part I am not afraid.

earthsciteach

I respect the desire to build your first airplane. But, I agree with jd7792. Unless you have an experienced person to help you work the bugs out of the plane, you are in a position of learning to fly AND flying a new, scratchbuilt airplane. You will most likely find yourself having a great deal of difficulty flying because you won't know if it is your inexperience causing the crash or if it is an issue with the plane itself.

By the time you buy all of the parts to build the plane, combined with the TX/RX, you are only a few dollars short from the cost of an RTF Bixler. This is a GREAT first airplane and you can easily teach yourself to fly on it. And, it will take you a long time to get bored with it because they are so versatile!

The Bixler is only $107 + shipping from the International warehouse. I'm guessing you'll be around $130-$140 with shipping. This includes a 4 channel radio. Don't get too worried about extra channels at this point. When you are ready, you can upgrade to a Turnigy or Flysky for less than $100. If you simply can't make the cost of an RTF, consider buying a Bixler Kit ($42.40 from US warehouse). Then you can buy parts to complete as your money allows.

That's my two cents worth. :)

Knap

can be strange but my vision of this is liike bdjen. i prefer having fun to build it and fly it even if im close for the price for a model plug and play.

the only problem whit the plug and play is if i crash it i will not be able to remake it.