Start Grandson with RC

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi Don,

I have seen 5 year old pilots flying small EPP foam planes. This would probably depend on the individual but I plan to introduce my son to flying even before this with simulators and scratch building.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
How about 3? - but really - i think about 10 years are better. At that age they will get friends in the same age doing the same thing.
Try with the simulator on your computer and check your grandkids interest.

My grandson is 7 and I bought a Hobbyzone Duet for us to try. He can fly that thing like a pro. Easy take-offs and landings, loops real well too. He has gotten 8-10 minute continuous flights off of one battery. Also has taken several hard crashes with easy repairs. He has also flown my FT Flyer, but not as well as the Duet.

psychoL720

What age would be appropriate to start a Grandson with flying RC?

Thanks,

Don

My daughter is 5 and she is flying a night vapor and a Horizon hobby 3 channel cub. Shes a whiz with the planes and just now this christmas branched out into multirotors. Shes sporting a 100mm custom quad with bumpers on it. Mainly for MY safety :) doing great with it, but its all different depending on the kid. I've seen some 10 year olds who just arent really in it to practice, but my daughter is asking me to go fly all week long :)

brettp2004

+1 for the Hobbyzone duet. My son is now 5 but was flying it without my help at all at 4. We buddy box for the bigger planes but the Duet is a great plane for kids to learn on. It's very difficult to crash it hard enough to break it (thats not a challenge!).

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I'd bet he could fly a champ or duet at abut 7. As long as he has good hand eye coordination, start him on a simulator and work from there.