Starting out and help with power packs

Somdrelichunter

Hey guys,

About to pull the trigger and build my first plane after flying a hobbyzone champ for a while.

About to pull the trigger on the scout, but I noticed on the reviews that the power pack B which they reccomend people are saying the supplied props do not fit the motor. Is this an anomaly or should I order the correct props expecting the included ones to not fit?

Or perhaps step it up to a C power pack?
I'm still learning so I don't think that C is neccessary, but, I'm not opposed to have to order less stuff if I need to.

Thanks guys!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
c-pack is for big planes. the new master series are not small. my P-47 is one of the biggest in my room of almost 100 flying machines.

b pack is a good spot and scout an excellent choice. i would assume that they have fixed that issue by now.

i would also recommend maybe doing some shopping. may save you some money and get you what you need.

good luck,

me :cool:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
The thing about props is they are an expendable no matter which way you put it. They will get either broken or replaced with different ones that provide different levels of performance. Chances are the issue with prop sizing is fixed by now but make sure to measure the motor shaft anyway whenever you go to buy more.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Go with the B pack - like @mrjdstewart said they either have the issue fixed or the reviewers were doing it wrong. I pesonally think starting off with a power pack is the best thing to do, and as you build more planes you'll figure out what you need more of and such. I still use the hardware and stuff from the first power pack I bought.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
I ordered a B power pack in Feb.. The props in the kit I got were a tight fit but fit none the less. Make sure you order plenty of extra props, 2 isn't enough no matter how experienced one gets with this hobby.

dahacker

Go with the B pack - like @mrjdstewart said they either have the issue fixed or the reviewers were doing it wrong...

I can assure you the motor shaft on my B pack I bought years ago was 6mm and the prop shaft was 5mm. Handy micrometer. And I'm not refering to the supplied bushings. We weren't doing it wrong.

YMMV on whatever they are packaging together right now, but I wouldn't hesitate with going with the B pack again even IF that problem still exists. I will say for smaller planes, the current A-pack motor and prop is absolute butter. Super quiet and great for non-intrusive park flying.

Somdrelichunter

I can assure you the motor shaft on my B pack I bought years ago was 6mm and the prop shaft was 5mm. Handy micrometer. And I'm not refering to the supplied bushings. We weren't doing it wrong.

YMMV on whatever they are packaging together right now, but I wouldn't hesitate with going with the B pack again even IF that problem still exists. I will say for smaller planes, the current A-pack motor and prop is absolute butter. Super quiet and great for non-intrusive park flying.

Being as I'm new....

How does one correct that problem if it still exists?

dahacker

Being as I'm new....

How does one correct that problem if it still exists?

I just bored the prop out bigger in 0.2 seconds with a dremel. This brought great amusement from my son when we realized I had the dremel accidently set on 30,000 rpm when I did it and it essentially vaporized 1mm of plastic instantaneously. I'm sure that was the wrong method. I"m sure there a prop boring tools made specifically for this. Maybe I got lucky. Perfection of the bore doesn't matter so much as long as you get it larger than the shaft size, since there is a bushing that matches the shaft size that you put on too.

As others have said, I'm sure most likely this won't be a problem on their current packs. Hopefully someone who has bought the B-pack recently can chime in.

Last edited:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Perfection of the bore doesn't matter so much as long as you get it larger than the shaft size, since there is a bushing that matches the shaft size that you put on too.
@dahacker

It does matter, otherwise getting your prop centered and not vibrating is an issue, hand drilling a prop isnt going to work, even using a drill press is difficult as setting up center is a trick with material already missing at the center of the prop.

there are a bunch of prop manufacturers offering choices that fit your motor, I can assure you buying a prop that fits your needs is the best and fastest course of action.....props are consumables and CHEAP

dahacker

@dahacker

It does matter, otherwise getting your prop centered and not vibrating is an issue, hand drilling a prop isnt going to work, even using a drill press is difficult as setting up center is a trick with material already missing at the center of the prop.

there are a bunch of prop manufacturers offering choices that fit your motor, I can assure you buying a prop that fits your needs is the best and fastest course of action.....props are consumables and CHEAP

Agreed that it technically does matter, but when you might be looking at weeks to get a properly sized propeller delivered, you can take a shot at it like I did. Plus there are no centering issues because these props from the power packs have a bushing on half of their shaft that is sized correctly. It was balanced and tracked fine. Maybe it was just my Aerospace Engineer luck;}

We are flying banged up foam planes for the most part here, so perfection isn't really a driver in a pinch.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Honestly, i wouldn't sweat the prop size. I'd recommend seeing if you can order some APC props or even check with your local hobby shop to see what they have in the way of props. They almost always come with bushings that will fit in the prop and you can slide it onto the motor shaft. I've found that HQProps brand (which is what I got in my original C Twin power pack for my Sea Duck 3 years ago) were CHEAP props. I never had a ground strike with them, but the blades actually developed cracks along the trailing edge and small flakes broke off.

Don't get me wrong, they work - but if they haven't changed out the props, I wouldn't expect them to last.