Starting to make professional plane designs. I have two questions

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I have designed and built about a dozen or so airplanes in the last two years and recently I have wanted to make some of them digital so I can share them with you guys.

Question1:
I have about three years of practice with auto desk inventor and I was wondering if this would be a good program to make these plans with and if not, what would be a better 2d design tool to make the plans? Preferably free

Question2:
The second question I have is what is the lightest way to color a plane? I gutted my old duet of the electronics and right now I plan on making a micro gotha bomber for it. What would be the lightest way to color it?

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Yeah I have and although they are amazing paper is sort of heavy for a plane of this size. I thought that maybe a marker would work best.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Question #1 - I would go with whatever you have the skills in. Many AutoDesk programs are more than suited for this. As for 2D, Many design in Inkscape. It's vector and it's free.

Question #2 - Marker is always a good choice for micros. I used to print skins on tissue paper for my micros a while back. A micro gotha sounds fun!

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Question #1 - I would go with whatever you have the skills in. Many AutoDesk programs are more than suited for this. As for 2D, Many design in Inkscape. It's vector and it's free.

Question #2 - Marker is always a good choice for micros. I used to print skins on tissue paper for my micros a while back. A micro gotha sounds fun!

Yeah I plan on making it out of foam plates, like what peter did with his micro planes a while back, as well as a little bit of paper and toothpicks to hid the two wings together. BTW awesome job on your decals

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I use colored packing tape typically. Marker might be the best at paper-plat scale.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Can you buy sheets of the foam use to make foam paper plates?
Not that I know of, I wish you could. Let me know if you find them.

The closest thing I have found is a large meat tray from the grocery store. They are a bit thicker. I spoke to the meat man at my store and was able to by a hold stack of them for next to nothing.