STEM Time - Cub Camp

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
It is closing another school year, and I have been asked once again, to help with the STEM program at summer day camp (1week). For me, that means adding a DTFB chuck-glider element. and as it's scouting, it FRUGAL. That's right, all-caps.

The week is Renaissance themed, so I though Castles, and Siege Engines. DRAGONS! What kid doesn't like to hurl stuff at fortifications they design and build a flying dragon.

The plan - Have them sped a few days building pieces to a home-made Crossbows and Catapult set.
Culminating in building a Trainer like chuck glider that looks like a dragon.
2019-01-19_90040.123286265.jpg

I looked around and saw a few toothless builds, and knowing the last How to train your dragon was just this winter, I thought I can do this. Trick is How awesome a flyer can it be yet still cost a dollar or less.

158077_6420f0774bb90f7f99fc926d49689728.jpg

Over the last few months I've been hard at work and have managed to get 2-30" gliders on one sheet by shrinking an modifying This Version

Stay tuned for details.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well, FT did a paint job on a Twin Sparrow that looked like the dragons from How To Train Your Dragon; you could easily make this into a chuck glider. It'll require 2 sheets of foam, however, which kind of goes against your "Dollar or Less" idea, but it'd certainly allow them to build gliders that look like dragons!

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-twin-sparrow

FoamyDM

It been done before - but not for economy of fun!
This inspiration was to use a space Saving triangular body while maintaining rigidity and durability .
My design was taken from this photo:
FOYOPVZIQU16T4P.LARGE.jpg

How it started
I was asked to put together STEM activities for the Cub Scout Day Camp week themed Renaissance.

As the STEM director I figure out what FT- style builds I will do. But when I think Renaissance, I think Ladies and Knights, and Dragons.
As the third HTTYD (How to Train Your Dragon) movie was released earlier this year featuring an albino Night fury, I thought this was perfect. DTFB comes in white and black!
how-to-train-your-dragon-e1528428324193-750x450.png

as stated above, my self imposed task was to figure out how to get the most bang for our buck... literally. So I set to work on building one that fits 2 to a sheet, with a 30" wingspan.
This does three things.
  • It costs less. (A scout is Thrifty)
  • Quicker to make on a jigsaw (a factor when cutting out 100 kits)
  • 30" wings have a wow factor for a cub scout.
The Plan:
PlansPDFimage.PNG
+5ish pennies for balast (12.5g)
This can be assembled with paste and tape. (hot glue is a no-no for cubbies)

Results
Success - a fully functioning crossbows and catapults set, and a less than one-sheet Dragon
Finished Product.PNG

This image has the V1 tail. (one of the things I changed in V2)

Glide test:
Great success, but not filmed originally. If it means much, the entire round table meeting of scout leaders watched it glide approx. 75-100 ft.
Flight Videos Pending

Attachments

• NightFury-ModelvA2.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Great project! Looking forward to pictures of a whole mess of these with custom designs being flung all over the place! :D

FoamyDM

It's possible your pack's burnt fingers (and many others) precipitated the "no hot glue for kids" council policy (I'm paraphrasing)
I wonder if it says anything in the "Guide to Safe Scouting" about CA and activators? XD

@rockyboy - I'll be sure to post a few, and Make an article covering the process.

FoamyDM

Spent some quality time with my micro-quad and my scroll saw.
Tuesday - Put some of the Kits together.
CastleKitting.PNG

Last night -
Cutting8kitsin1blow.PNG

The cutting process is to bind 8 sheets and spray on the plans to the top.
It is Important to notch all the 50% cut ends and the 10% on the few spots that need it.
DragonCuttingProgress.PNG

33% done, working on the next 16%

Here are some Eyes to make print sheets from.
BMF-EYE.PNG
WNF-eye.PNG

100 of anything takes some time.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Cool project Foamy. Its great you get to do the program again too. Cant wait to see one all put together and colored up.

As with the AMA seems the Scouts have me scratchin my head over their choices.

They dont allow the of use hot glue but allow functioning crossbows in the days of having /using/ or speaking about any weapon gets you dubbed a terrorist

FoamyDM

It is a pain, but a worthwhile endavor. Cutting took 3.5 hrs.
Thank you for the support guys.
With 2 helpers, mostly, we took 4.5 hrs. and finished alllllll the score cuts. Thank you to the scout helpers with this part. Charlie(s), Ivory and Erin (and Conner)
IMG_20190531_203736894.jpg IMG_20190531_203745706.jpg 15593979247101284386323.jpg
I will update you as I continue this effort.
I look forward to the 13th, Or D-day.

FoamyDM

Scouting is a whole separate matter. No matter which way you sway, it is still one of the few non-school/rec activities for children to do.

Scouting has been all encompassing for decades through the venture scouts.

Either way I drank the kool-aid. And it's still working for the kids I work with

FoamyDM

I took an example of the kits to the orientation day this Sunday.
The Crossbow and Catapults Kits were met with interest, The dragon plane received a big response.
Played catch while one of the venture scouts built one right there with masking tape.
now to make it RC. :devilish:

FoamyDM

Yesterday was Build day! 80 Cubs + some

I was very busy so I only have these few pics. I will post more as I get them from the camp director.

IMG_20190613_110617414.jpg

This last group was interrupted by the day's visitor.
IMG_20190613_141759905.jpg IMG_20190613_145314824_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20190613_145316541.jpg IMG_20190613_142510891_HDR.jpg

The final Trial under fire.. inside table didn't allow for the leaders to help every child. so we moved it outside... with the sun:D with the wind. :cautious:
Either way it worked great. As with all plans, it never survives first contact with the enemy.

STOP - START - CONTINUE
  • Stop - having so many score cuts. ItIncreases the prep time.
  • Stop - using a segmented body, it creates a weak point.
  • Stop - Using dollar tree tape. The adhesive doesn't hold as well.
  • Stop - offering two colors - Kids like Toothless. Period.
  • Stop - arriving JUST in time.
  • Start - Having a few packing tape dispensers.
  • Start - Having a build video ready in case some run out of time.
  • Start - Having a Flite Test Poster/Banner ready and/or a Card to bring home.
  • Start - Have googly eyes at the ready, or stickers.
  • Start - Get a full Day helper. Having continuity between group of 12 students were.
  • Start - Having a Schmart-scout quiz. Prize is a kit from a previous year.
  • Continue - Bringing other examples of gliders and R/C planes to show the kids where they can go with it.
  • Continue - Explaining the principles of Flight as they build.
  • Continue - Having the kids discover success and fun on their own.
As a follow up - I was asked to put together a build video, so I may be doing that tonight.

Cutting out 100 planes took 5 hrs. (13 bundles of 8)
Scoring the lines for 100 planes took 22 hrs. (8hrs with helpers.)

If so I will add the link to the first post, and post a message about it.

Happy Flying!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Yesterday was Build day! 80 Cubs + some

I was very busy so I only have these few pics. I will post more as I get them from the camp director.

View attachment 133618
This last group was interrupted by the day's visitor.
View attachment 133619 View attachment 133621 View attachment 133622 View attachment 133620

The final Trial under fire.. inside table didn't allow for the leaders to help every child. so we moved it outside... with the sun:D with the wind. :cautious:
Either way it worked great. As with all plans, it never survives first contact with the enemy.

STOP - START - CONTINUE
  • Stop - having so many score cuts. ItIncreases the prep time.
  • Stop - using a segmented body, it creates a weak point.
  • Stop - Using dollar tree tape. The adhesive doesn't hold as well.
  • Stop - offering two colors - Kids like Toothless. Period.
  • Stop - arriving JUST in time.
  • Start - Having a few packing tape dispensers.
  • Start - Having a build video ready in case some run out of time.
  • Start - Having a Flite Test Poster/Banner ready and/or a Card to bring home.
  • Start - Have googly eyes at the ready, or stickers.
  • Start - Get a full Day helper. Having continuity between group of 12 students were.
  • Start - Having a Schmart-scout quiz. Prize is a kit from a previous year.
  • Continue - Bringing other examples of gliders and R/C planes to show the kids where they can go with it.
  • Continue - Explaining the principles of Flight as they build.
  • Continue - Having the kids discover success and fun on their own.
As a follow up - I was asked to put together a build video, so I may be doing that tonight.

Cutting out 100 planes took 5 hrs. (13 bundles of 8)
Scoring the lines for 100 planes took 22 hrs. (8hrs with helpers.)

If so I will add the link to the first post, and post a message about it.

Happy Flying!

Looks like everything was really successful! Interesting to see that the kids all completely favored Toothless, but then again, he's been one of the stars of the 3 movies, so...:)

DEFINITELY something with FliteTest on it to hand out; it's almost a requirement for these builds, because people start asking, "Where can I learn to build those planes?" followed almost immediately by, "How much does it cost to get into the hobby?" LOL Something I have for this weekend's Maker Faire that I'm working is a sheet of labels with both my RC club's website and the FliteTest web address on it. Each plane will have a label stuck on there, so they know where to go for more info. :)

FoamyDM

Updated to include a link to the plans - Please note the post-event take-away points