StevensAero microMAX 103 Build Thread

DarkFire

On balsa wood planes where the main wing sheet folds over ribs, (I know, great description) it seems like the balsa would crack. Do those types of wings just not bend enough to crack the wood or do you get the main wing sheet slightly wet?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Balsa can be convinced to do many things with the right approach. Water, ammonia, steam, etc are all great tools to convince balsa to take a new shape.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
On balsa wood planes where the main wing sheet folds over ribs, (I know, great description) it seems like the balsa would crack. Do those types of wings just not bend enough to crack the wood or do you get the main wing sheet slightly wet?

I quickly ran the pieces under water for this build and waited for it to soak in to get a little flexibility.

On my current build I'm using a spray bottle filled with ammonia cleaner and it's much better - quick penetrating, great flexibility, and after it dries the balsa holds the new curve very well. I've also head of people using Windex cleaner - which has ammonia - to soften balsa, but that it can leave a blue tint.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Can't wait to see how this plane flies, it looks like a winner!

Thanks! I seem to be cursed in getting to an indoor flying event to put this up in the air though - there was a great opportunity this weekend but I came down sick and couldn't get there. I'll probably throw it in the car the next couple times I head to the big field just in case we get a few windless minutes... need to build a travel case for it next...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I still need to process the video for this, but it flew this weekend!! :applause:

And it flew excellently!! Easily the best flyer out of the 5 indoor models I took with me to the gym. :applause:

I used a 1s 180mah Turnigy battery as it was the shortest one I had - necessary to get the battery and connector to fit back into the slot. If I were to do another one of these, I'd try to lengthen that battery slot before assembly so I had more battery options.

It needed a tiny bit of nose weight - my friend had some Golf Lead Tape which I had never seen before, but I am convinced is the best thing ever for balancing indoor models. We sliced off a little bit of weight and stuck it to the battery - flew and repeated to taste. Then pulled the lead tape off the battery and stuck it to the model for a permanent balance adjustment.

One of the other flyers this weekend had experience flying a full scale microMax, and said the yaw coupling was terrifying on the real thing. Only airplane he said he was scared flying, and won't take up again. But this plane is a joy to fly! Very well behaved once balanced, and looks great in the air. I dialed the rates back a little for a nice, lazy circuits of the gym and she soared beautifully!

This is an indoor model that I look forward to taking outdoors or to a larger gym where there is some room to stretch out. Pretty sure she'll loop with a little more space than I had. :) Another winner from StevensAero!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Took this little beauty out flying again today. Was performing beautifully until the third battery when a fast moving UMX Champ slammed into it from behind, leading to a very rough landing on the gym floor. :black_eyed:

The landing gear spars all came disconnected (glued back together easily enough), one of the tail stabilizers was split in half, and the horizontal stabilizer got about a 1/2" rip into the balsa. I did some quick field repairs to the landing gear, but she just didn't want to fly right after that. She came back home for some more detailed study of the structure and repairs...

*sigh*

OliverW

Legendary member
Took this little beauty out flying again today. Was performing beautifully until the third battery when a fast moving UMX Champ slammed into it from behind, leading to a very rough landing on the gym floor. :black_eyed:

The landing gear spars all came disconnected (glued back together easily enough), one of the tail stabilizers was split in half, and the horizontal stabilizer got about a 1/2" rip into the balsa. I did some quick field repairs to the landing gear, but she just didn't want to fly right after that. She came back home for some more detailed study of the structure and repairs...

*sigh*
Did you ever fly her again? I am looking at building one.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Did you ever fly her again? I am looking at building one.

Yes! Sorry about the lack of update on the thread - if I remember right, it just took a little careful realignment of the stabilizer on the workbench and she flew quite well again at the March indoor fly-in. It's not the slowest indoor flyer in my fleet, and with my reaction times I like her better in a good sized indoor area (compared to a high wing kit like the LittleBug) . The MicroMax would probably even better in calm weather out doors.

He lost me at "fast moving UMX Champ". :)

Hey man - I swear that thing was hopped up with a 7 mm motor kit on a HV lipo! Terror of the skies man! :p

TooJung2Die

Master member
I love little airplanes like this! I must be blind and can't find it so what are you using to power it? Is it something you scavenged out of a little RTF?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I believe this one has a 7mm brushed motor and 1s DSM2/X receiver brick - the replacement parts for the UMX Champ or UMX Sukhoi