"Stick and Tissue" Building with Foam Board

telnar1236

Elite member
I've been flying rc for more than 10 years now, but over the last couple of months, I have been experimenting with techniques typically used with balsa wood free-flight models, but substituting the balsa wood with foam. It's actually cheaper than building with pure foam board since you can buy packs of gift tissue at the dollar store, and all but the largest airplanes require at most two sheets of foam. It also only takes about twice as much time as building with foam board since you can hot glue the parts together. The techniques used with balsa do have to be significantly altered since foam board is a lot weaker, but the results are definitely worth the additional time. The results are lighter than pure foam, although still heavier than pure balsa, and take a hit pretty well. I figured it would be worth posting about it on this forum since I haven't really seen anyone else using this technique and I'm curious to see how far it can go.

I didn't document my first few builds with this technique very well, but more recently I built an F-8 Crusader and an F-104 Starfighter, both flying off the same 64mm EDF and 1600 mAh 3s batteries. I also have a few pictures of an earlier build of an F-106 with a 50mm EDF. Between the F-104 and F-8, the build process is decently well documented, so you can see the techniques I used, with a foam thrust-tube (and rear fuselage in the F-104) and inlets, a stick and tissue front fuselage and tail, and hybrid wings. On the F-104 and F-8 I used barbeque skewers and nylon rods to reinforce the wings, both of which can also be bought at the dollar store (nylon rods can be found in the kites sold there during the summer). Unfortunately the flaperon setup I used in the F-104 caused roll instability at high angles of attack, so you can also see how the F-104 handled a crash.
20200701_015211.jpg 20200703_211505.jpg 20200704_181004.jpg 20200707_201858.jpg 20200713_231349.jpg 20200714_002855.jpg 20200717_180144.jpg 20200717_204114.jpg 20200718_165512.jpg 20200718_181815.jpg

Eorfner

I'd love to learn more about your covering technique and adhesive choices for covering with tissue paper. Are you just using old fashion model airplane dope?
-Wes

cyclone3350

Master member

Here R a some examples of as to how far I've taken this method. The first 2 pics, R standard DTFB builds with tissue over the foam itself. The high wing is a balsa plan built with foam materials & finished with tissue trim. I did the pattern plane as a balsa/foam hybrid. The DC-3 & the orange Dwarf R foam structures with balsa stringers & tissue covered. Your jets look great & hope to see some more of your builds.

Attachments

• IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4516.jpg
    IMG_4516.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG
    946 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
  • IMG_2576.JPG
    IMG_2576.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2573.JPG
    IMG_2573.JPG

telnar1236

Elite member
I'd love to learn more about your covering technique and adhesive choices for covering with tissue paper. Are you just using old fashion model airplane dope?
-Wes
I just used normal school glue thinned with water and a glue stick to help with some of the joins between pieces of tissue. Everything needed should be available for purchase at the dollar store except for the electronics. Even the push rods are just paper clips.

telnar1236

Elite member
Here R a some examples of as to how far I've taken this method. The first 2 pics, R standard DTFB builds with tissue over the foam itself. The high wing is a balsa plan built with foam materials & finished with tissue trim. I did the pattern plane as a balsa/foam hybrid. The DC-3 & the orange Dwarf R foam structures with balsa stringers & tissue covered. Your jets look great & hope to see some more of your builds.
Those all look incredible. You have definitely taken the technique far further than I did. How do you get the tissue so smooth?

Soon after I made this post, I got a 3D printer and laser cutter and access to a field with a paved runway, so I haven't really messed around much further with this technique, but the F-104 seen here was one of my first attempts at designing an F-104 and started the process that culminated in the 3D printed 80mm EDF version I posted in the EDF topic.

Looking back on this post, these designs were fun, quick, and easy to build, so I may need to revisit them.

Chris A. Gill

In this case, foam board is a type of cardboard. When you use foam board, it’s common to cut it into shapes with a utility knife or a rotary tool. Once you’ve cut your foam board into shapes, you can stick it to your wall using construction adhesive, or you can lay it down on the floor and cover it with carpet or padding. If you want to make your own foam board, you can get it from a home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowe’s.

RossFPV

In this case, foam board is a type of cardboard. When you use foam board, it’s common to cut it into shapes with a utility knife or a rotary tool. Once you’ve cut your foam board into shapes, you can stick it to your wall using construction adhesive, or you can lay it down on the floor and cover it with carpet or padding. If you want to make your own foam board, you can get it from a home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowe’s.
Im not sure if this is spam or just confusing?

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Here R a some examples of as to how far I've taken this method. The first 2 pics, R standard DTFB builds with tissue over the foam itself. The high wing is a balsa plan built with foam materials & finished with tissue trim. I did the pattern plane as a balsa/foam hybrid. The DC-3 & the orange Dwarf R foam structures with balsa stringers & tissue covered. Your jets look great & hope to see some more of your builds.[/Q

yea..... i cant do that

FishbonesAir

I've been flying rc for more than 10 years now, but over the last couple of months, I have been experimenting with techniques typically used with balsa wood free-flight models, but substituting the balsa wood with foam.

You know, I'd thought about trying this, but hadn't gotten around to it. My plan was to use a balsa spar, foam ribs, tissue covering. Cut lightening holes in fuselage, and tissue it, etc.

quorneng

Master member
It all comes down to the density and thickness of the foam you use.
If you can get thin foam sheet of the right density it is possible to build a plane where the foam is the load bearing structure. Tissue can be used to cover the areas that are not load bearing.
In this case an English Electric Canberra with 2x35mm EDFs.
Complete3.JPG

A built up structure (ribs and formers) all in 2mm sheet foam with no balsa or carbon anywhere. Tissue covering aft of the D box wing spar to save weight.
Complete4.JPG

246g ready to go with a 950mAh 2s.

Taildragger

Legendary member
"high wing" bruh thats literally a helio courier

cyclone3350

Master member
"high wing" bruh thats literally a helio courier
Yes it is. What an amazing design the Helio is. It was 30" on the WS & much heavier than I anticipated. I still could fly it within the half court on indoor fly night @ the school. I'm wondering if these had anything to do with that.

Attachments

• IMG_1473 (2).JPG
    IMG_1473 (2).JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    836.1 KB · Views: 0

FishbonesAir

It all comes down to the density and thickness of the foam you use.
If you can get thin foam sheet of the right density it is possible to build a plane where the foam is the load bearing structure. Tissue can be used to cover the areas that are not load bearing.
In this case an English Electric Canberra with 2x35mm EDFs.
View attachment 237409
A built up structure (ribs and formers) all in 2mm sheet foam with no balsa or carbon anywhere. Tissue covering aft of the D box wing spar to save weight.
View attachment 237410
246g ready to go with a 950mAh 2s.
Love to see more build pics if you have any.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Yes it is. What an amazing design the Helio is. It was 30" on the WS & much heavier than I anticipated. I still could fly it within the half court on indoor fly night @ the school. I'm wondering if these had anything to do with that.
They are super cool planes. One flew over my house one time... with a nosewheel!

quorneng

Master member
FishbonesAir
Not tissue covered although quite big (860 mm span with a 50 mm EDF) but just built from sheet foam. 5mm in this case, no balsa or carbon anywhere so surprisingly light. A Hawker Hunter F6.
Complete3.jpg

The skin, both wing and fuselage, is the load bearing structure.
LhWing2.JPG

No ribs. The wing skin is just bent over two foam shear webs.
The fuselage is built around the 3d printed EDF duct.
Fuseplank1.JPG

Formers added and then the fuselage skin is made up of full length planks, rather like 'carvel'ship building.
WingRoots1.JPG

As the skin takes all the load and a simple butt joint is as strong as the foam itself it means the wings can be simply glued on!
Overall not really that complex but it does need a bit of foam building experience to know what you can and cannot do.

RossFPV

FishbonesAir
Not tissue covered although quite big (860 mm span with a 50 mm EDF) but just built from sheet foam. 5mm in this case, no balsa or carbon anywhere so surprisingly light. A Hawker Hunter F6.
View attachment 237453
The skin, both wing and fuselage, is the load bearing structure.
View attachment 237454
No ribs. The wing skin is just bent over two foam shear webs.
The fuselage is built around the 3d printed EDF duct.
View attachment 237456
Formers added and then the fuselage skin is made up of full length planks, rather like 'carvel'ship building.
View attachment 237457
As the skin takes all the load and a simple butt joint is as strong as the foam itself it means the wings can be simply glued on!
Overall not really that complex but it does need a bit of foam building experience to know what you can and cannot do.
What do you do if you have gaps between the strips of foam?