Solved Sticking my neck out... Need a FT Storch Speed Build Kit

PoorManRC

Master member
Hi friends,
This Group has been so generous to this Disabled OLD Veteran so far, and I couldn't be more grateful.

I've got a 6 Channel Radio, Motors, Servos, Wheels, Wire, 7 sheets of DTFB, Batteries and detail items.

I just don't think that a scratchbuild, should be my very first Aircraft...

If any of you happen to have a FT Storch Speed Build Kit that I could have, it would be able to get me in the air much faster, and I believe a better learning tool - so I'll have something tangible to go off of for a scratchbuild....

This isn't easy to come out and ask for. The DOD seems to think I can actually live on the pittance they give me for my past Service.....
FliteTest has made RC Flight, finally affordable! I just need a first leg up.

Yes, I want at least a 1400mm Aircraft for my first, because I've got not as good eyes as I used to, and I live in Arizona, with HARD ground everywhere! (I've got good springy Landing Gear, and 2.75" Foam Tires)

You guys have been a TREMENDOUS help up to this point. This one request would allow me to get into the Air, in something large and slow enough to learn how to handle the Plane and the Gimbals, which is very different from the Pistol Radios I've used for the past 37 years, in Ground RC.

PM me if you can help. Bless You!

d8veh

Elite member
I think you'll be better off with something like an FT flyer unless you join an RC club and get proper training. On your own, that Storch will be smashed into the ground beyond repair before you know it. Big planes don't bounce!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Perhaps you could broaden your requirement for any FT Storch in flight worthy condition, (with or without electrics) Or even a set of pieces from a scratch build not, started or completed!

As a side question I have been toying with a design of a RC Tx suitable for use by a single arm amputee, (Vet or the like). Would there be any interest in such a Tx. So far thinking of 6 channel operation with functional flight trim function. If interested please let me know even if by PM.

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
I would not be afraid to scratch your first plane. The speed building kits are just a time saver, they save you the time of cutting out the foam.

I 100% agree with you on that. I'm just trying to get my FTS Self Training School, to eliminate any failures on MY Drawing and Cutting skills from the equation!! :p

@Hai-Lee - Of course I would accept any variable! I should have been more clear....
I also think it's Admirable that you want to design something to help people with missing or defunct Digits!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sadly for the single "Paw" operation I can do wizard mechanical designs but there would be a need for a little bit of programming to allow the trim to operate. Imagine holding the plane in level flight, (when out of trim) and with the press of a single button the Tx remembers the control positions and resets the Tx centres to the positions held. A single digit press switch would suffice which could be operated by a single digit.

After the trim is done of course the operator would need to recentre the controls to continue flying but this would just be a matter or releasing the controls and then re-gripping. No more trim tabs next to the sticks for the operator to struggle with! Perhaps someone reading this thread might be right into transmitter programming!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
That might need some help with initial setup, but I can see that working!

Maybe even work with some creative Mixing, to get up Elevator up with Throttle, and up Elevator with Ailerons, for steering, with a fixed Rudder??

Maybe? ;)

kilroy07

Legendary member
As a side question I have been toying with a design of a RC Tx suitable for use by a single arm amputee, (Vet or the like). Would there be any interest in such a Tx. So far thinking of 6 channel operation with functional flight trim function. If interested please let me know even if by PM.
I might suggest a stick operation (such as you see on video games/modern fighters. Pretty sure I saw somewhere someone had done somthing similar already (youtube maybe...)

That's to say you have 2 axis of control on the stick and usually a "hat" operated by the thumb which could control the throttle and rudder...

Trim might be a problem.... maybe a matrix of old arcade style push buttons where a stump (pardon the bluntness) could tap on to set?...
(or often the sticks have multiple buttons, maybe make a programming option where button pressed +hat movement sets trim?)

I would think with just a bit of arduino code you could get all the functionality you might want on a single stick.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My current thinking is a single stick which moves side to side for ailerons, forward and back for elevator and the stick rotates CW/CCW for rudder. THis would work equally well either right or left handed. The additional channels would be a slide for the throttle and a few switches for all other channels. The trim input switch would be on both sides of the controller so that the little finger or similar could press it whilst holding the plane in level flight. The slide would be the throttle of course and fully reversible so that the direction of travel could be mapped to the individuals requirements.

Not a difficult project if someone could advise on the programming. When I get my new 3D printer I might just run up a sample of the controller stick.

Just an idea!

have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
I just don't think that a scratchbuild, should be my very first Aircraft...
I honestly think you should look at either the tiny trainer or the explorer (depending on which motors you have on hand.)

Neither is a very complicated build (add a spar to the explorer) and it would get you in the air learning.
Heck, if you have an a or f class motor, I say start out with the ft flyer! It's a single sheet! and it a lot of fun to finally see something you made with your own two hands fly... especially when the build takes like (at most) 2 hours!!

I made the mistake of trying advanced designs (Dr1...) before really learning the basics...
It took me almost two months before I started having success.... and it started with the simple scout and the tiny trainer.

So take one or two of those 6 sheets of dtfb you have and get cracking!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I was mulling this over a few years back after Rotor Riot featured that one handed quad pilot.

The design model I was aiming towards was more along the lines of how they did the remote planes in the movie "The 6th Day"

It would basically act as a buddy box to a Taranis or any open tx radio. The radio could rest in a pilots lap for easy access or sit on a table or even hang on some kind of harness for chair bound people.

That way the build would be strictly hardware as open tx pretty much covers any kind of mix that might be needed to aid a pilot with limitations.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I was mulling this over a few years back after Rotor Riot featured that one handed quad pilot.

The design model I was aiming towards was more along the lines of how they did the remote planes in the movie "The 6th Day"

It would basically act as a buddy box to a Taranis or any open tx radio. The radio could rest in a pilots lap for easy access or sit on a table or even hang on some kind of harness for chair bound people.

That way the build would be strictly hardware as open tx pretty much covers any kind of mix that might be needed to aid a pilot with limitations.
Sounds good all except for the trim activation in flight but then I suppose that is where the arduino programming would assist!!

have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Anyway back to the thread! Again I appologize for hijacking the thread!

Original thread is an open request for an FT Storch to build or repair for a Vet, Any generous Storch owners or prolific FB cutters out there?

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
No need to apologise!! Your cause is a good one.

I really do want a larger Aircraft, and I keep hearing about how docile the Storch is, in 3 Channel mode, and that it will GROW with my experience......

I've seen multiple Videos of it by different people, one a complete N00B like me!

I do plan on making a smaller "trainer"....
Call it a Back up plan! ;)

As for Motors... I've got a whopping 2. One for the big one, a 2218/9 1400kv, with a 40A ESC.
The other is a 1806 2600kv, with a 12A ESC.
So there will be a little Plane too!

Thanks to another Great Guy here, I've got a good 6 Channel Radio with 5t Receivers!!
I basically need some adhesive, to actually get to work!! That should come on the 3rd, when I get my monthly "check".

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I do recommend the FT Storch as a great trainer plane. For anyone who remembers some of the early Flite Test videos, when Josh talked about the design process and goals they actually set out to build a high wing trainer suitable for people who wanted something that looked like a plane - they just also happened to need something warbird related at the same time to go with another topic and decided to release the plans as the FT Storch.

So when you look at the overall FT fleet of planes, they have 3 planes that have been specifically designed as high wing trainers, one for each of the main power pack sizes. The A Pack FT Tiny Trainer, the B Pack FT Simple Cub, and the C Pack FT Storch.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Alright, alright...

The Storch has been on my build list for quite awhile now...
Let's build one together... (or built two, but at the same time... you know what I mean...)

I'll finish the laser files tonight and probably get you a dtfb quick-build kit out tomorrow or next week (AND a tiny trainer!!)
(Heck, I'm even tossing in some glue sticks...)

But,... We had better see you in the air by the end of the month...

P.S..... Was your Dad in the SR program?.....

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Do you think that the Storch would make a better first plane for an absolute beginner on his own than an FT Flyer?

For this scenario yes - the OP is looking for something large and easy to see and already has electronics to fit the Storch.

Also, while an FT Flyer can help someone build some muscle memory and they are super simple to build, it doesn't fly via lift from an airfoil so it's pretty much always in high-alpha trying to defy gravity via the power of the prop. They also don't handle well on the ground - not going to learn to taxi with a rudder on it. Overall they are a fun and crazy ride, and when you can handle the FT Flyer you're certainly ready for a better behaved high-wing trainer :D

Alright, alright...

The Storch has been on my build list for quite awhile now...
Let's build one together... (or built two, but at the same time... you know what I mean...)

I'll finish the laser files tonight and probably get you a dtfb quick-build kit out tomorrow or next week (AND a tiny trainer!!)
(Heck, I'm even tossing in some glue sticks...)

Awesome @kilroy07 ! :D

d8veh

Elite member
For this scenario yes - the OP is looking for something large and easy to see and already has electronics to fit the Storch.

Also, while an FT Flyer can help someone build some muscle memory and they are super simple to build, it doesn't fly via lift from an airfoil so it's pretty much always in high-alpha trying to defy gravity via the power of the prop. They also don't handle well on the ground - not going to learn to taxi with a rudder on it. Overall they are a fun and crazy ride, and when you can handle the FT Flyer you're certainly ready for a better behaved high-wing trainer :D
Awesome @kilroy07 ! :D

OK, I wouldn't disagree with that point of view. That's what I would have said. The only thing that troubles me is seeing all these newbs launching their planes full of hope, only to see them wing over and smash into the ground. The very small planes can survive that a couple of times, but I've got a feeling that his Storch won't last long. That's only speculation. Reality will hopefully be different. Anyway, all will be revealed soon. I'll buy you a beer if it works out well.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
OK, I wouldn't disagree with that point of view. That's what I would have said. The only thing that troubles me is seeing all these newbs launching their planes full of hope, only to see them wing over and smash into the ground. The very small planes can survive that a couple of times, but I've got a feeling that his Storch won't last long. That's only speculation. Reality will hopefully be different. Anyway, all will be revealed soon. I'll buy you a beer if it works out well.

Let's go buy some brews either way - celebrate either successful flight or spectacular crash! :cool:

Last edited: