Still photography capability for Versacopter V2

TanelF

I've been trying to figure out how to convert my V2 Versacopter to an aerial still photography platform. Yes I know, it would probably be cheaper to buy a DJI or some other RTF platform, but where is the fun in that :) That being said the first task is selecting an optimal cameral for stills... no ultra-wide angle action cameras (GoPro, Mobius, etc.) but rather a mirrorless camera eg. Canon M10. Although mirrorless cameras are smaller and lighter than their DSLR counterparts, they still weigh in the neighbourhood of 500g (including the lens). This is where my first question comes, does anyone know of a smaller (more compact) stills camera specifically desgined for drones? My second questions concerns controlling the shutter of the camera. How can I use my RC radio (Graupner MZ-18) to trigger the camera? For example lets assume that I would like to control Canon M10 way outside the range of the WiFi remote.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I wonder if buying the camera from a wrecked DJI or other commercial drone and integrating it into your quad would be possible? Some devices can be cut up and remounted into cases that aren't designed for human hands, but rather to be mounted on a quad. Those are my first ideas. I've been thinking about building a dragon fly or other similar platform and lifting something heavy. Besides, I've always wanted to fly a quad type machine with a tilt rotor. Anyhow, those have terrific lift possibilities. See the flitetest store.

I do have a DJI Phantom Standard, and it is a great way to get into AP without a huge investment and it certainly does work.

Mike

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If I remember correctly Cannon has / had an adapter that ran thru the hot shoe somehow to remotely trigger multiple flash shoots. I would assume that connected to one of the digital switches that plug into receivers to turn lights on and off would work easily enough. I am not sure how readily available these are as I haven't used my SLR for shooting anything since early 90's. I know the "T" series cameras like my T-70 has some cool gadgets like that for it.