Still up a tree

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Awesome! And there's clear and obvious proof that for a skilled pilot, a flight stabilizer can provide a distinctly different flight experience, which can be preferable depending on what you're after. For a less skilled pilot a stabilizer can help keep you aloft, where without it your plane will beeline to the nearest tree and take up permanent residence, thus breaking your heart, shattering your dreams and crushing your soul. But we all knew that already. ;):D
I'm still trying to find a counselor or therapist specializing in tree trauma. So far everyone thinks it's a joke or I should "just get over it". Oh the agony of not being understood!! #treetoo

Having tried the Aura on a couple of different planes, so not an expert by any means, it's allowed me to fly a plane that's beyond my abilities and let my piloting catch up with the plane. I can get to altitude, turn it off and practice and then turn it back on to land. Like having a friend on a buddy box that doesn't laugh at me!

I'm still trying to find a counselor or therapist specializing in tree trauma. So far everyone thinks it's a joke or I should "just get over it". Oh the agony of not being understood!! #treetoo

Having tried the Aura on a couple of different planes, so not an expert by any means, it's allowed me to fly a plane that's beyond my abilities and let my piloting catch up with the plane. I can get to altitude, turn it off and practice and then turn it back on to land. Like having a friend on a buddy box that doesn't laugh at me!
Hey! Fun times all around! (y) Good to hear.

toptecone

September 9th I managed to land my Skymaster in a tree.

View attachment 207548

We had a nice thunder storm blow through last night with 60mph gusts but apparently the ground crew tied the plane down very well and this morning, 6 days later, it's still in the tree. "How high is it?" you may ask.

View attachment 207549 View attachment 207550

The low end of my sight is 3' off the ground. Google maps says the tree is 390' from my "transit" which has an elevation of 9 degrees. H = 390 x Tan 9 + 3 = 65'
And the ground slopes downhill from me to the tree but I'm not wading through the soybeans to find out how much.
Edit: USGS maps show a 2' drop so AGL = 67'
And I thought I'd never use trigonometry again after graduation!

toptecone

Hey! Fun times all around! (y) Good to hear.
I haven't been flying too long and usually in an area a little smaller than I should be flying so I have been in the trees more times than I would like to add-mitt. To get them out I have an old spinning rod and reel with the line attached to an arrow. I use a Genesis bow and shoot just above them and shake the limb till the plane falls I have retrieved planes from about that height. .

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I still need to try out an Aura. I am waiting on them to go on sale. I just have the el cheapo NX4 stabilizers and they smooth things out nicely, but are in no way as nice as an Aura.

I about thought I would be posting in here about treeing one of my planes too. I treed my microkadet (lost orientation in the sun and I was lower and closer to the tree than I though, and it landed right on the top). Luckily the tree was only 20ish feet tall, and I had a 10ft extendable paint handle along with a 4 foot fiberglass yard marker. I was able to tape those together, and combined with the reach of being 6'4" I was able to poke it until it fell. I then proceeded to put two more battery packs through it.
Glad you're enjoying the Kadet 👍👍

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I still need to try out an Aura. I am waiting on them to go on sale. I just have the el cheapo NX4 stabilizers and they smooth things out nicely, but are in no way as nice as an Aura.

I about thought I would be posting in here about treeing one of my planes too. I treed my microkadet (lost orientation in the sun and I was lower and closer to the tree than I though, and it landed right on the top). Luckily the tree was only 20ish feet tall, and I had a 10ft extendable paint handle along with a 4 foot fiberglass yard marker. I was able to tape those together, and combined with the reach of being 6'4" I was able to poke it until it fell. I then proceeded to put two more battery packs through it.
Glad you're enjoying the Kadet 👍👍

Piotrsko

Master member
I haven't been flying too long and usually in an area a little smaller than I should be flying so I have been in the trees more times than I would like to add-mitt. To get them out I have an old spinning rod and reel with the line attached to an arrow. I use a Genesis bow and shoot just above them and shake the limb till the plane falls I have retrieved planes from about that height. .
I would use a blunted broadhead hunting tip and fly line then actually hit the plane. At this time salvage of the foamboard is pointless and the battery is trash.
Typically this also means I get the arrow and fly line stuck in the tree.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Day 91: 32°F today (0°C for the great unwashed masses) and pretty windy. I'm seeing some definite movement and hope that the landing gear separates pretty soon. Thanks for all your suggestions on getting it down.

IMG_3462_LI.jpg
Solutions not tried:
poking with stick - don't have a stick that long
shooting with shot gun - too many life forms down range
shooting with arrow with or without fishing line - don't have one (or friend with one)
cutting down tree - not my tree
bucket truck - 200m from road through muddy field & $$$
nephews - not inclined to try climbing that high
trained squirrels - threatened to report me to FAA

Solutions tried:
throwing rock - out of my range
waiting for wind storm - 60mph gusts didn't do it
putting my right foot in and taking my right foot out - no effect (only works on keeping paint on foam board)

Day 91: 32°F today (0°C for the great unwashed masses) and pretty windy. I'm seeing some definite movement and hope that the landing gear separates pretty soon. Thanks for all your suggestions on getting it down.

View attachment 213288 Solutions not tried:
poking with stick - don't have a stick that long
shooting with shot gun - too many life forms down range
shooting with arrow with or without fishing line - don't have one (or friend with one)
cutting down tree - not my tree
bucket truck - 200m from road through muddy field & $$$
nephews - not inclined to try climbing that high
trained squirrels - threatened to report me to FAA

Solutions tried:
throwing rock - out of my range
waiting for wind storm - 60mph gusts didn't do it
putting my right foot in and taking my right foot out - no effect (only works on keeping paint on foam board)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Are you left- or right-handed?

tomlogan1

Elite member
This wrist rocket available many places and some fishing line and weights will do the trick.

Attachments

• wrist rocket.jpg
    wrist rocket.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Are you left- or right-handed?
I looked for a funny youtube video about how to find out - but it's filled with serious tests! Well, filled might be a bit strong. So I took one and even though I always thought I was right handed apparently I'm closer to ambidextrous. Learn something new from the university of youtube everyday!

Just a note to anyone reading THIS thread for the first time (not my 3 faithful followers). Everything is fair game as long as it's in good fun. For heavens sake, it's about a toy plane being up in a tree for 13 weeks! So don't bring the seriousness of other threads in here‼

Disclaimer: No keyboards or mice were hurt in the making of this thread.

I looked for a funny youtube video about how to find out - but it's filled with serious tests! Well, filled might be a bit strong. So I took one and even though I always thought I was right handed apparently I'm closer to ambidextrous. Learn something new from the university of youtube everyday!

Just a note to anyone reading THIS thread for the first time (not my 3 faithful followers). Everything is fair game as long as it's in good fun. For heavens sake, it's about a toy plane being up in a tree for 13 weeks! So don't bring the seriousness of other threads in here‼

Disclaimer: No keyboards or mice were hurt in the making of this thread.
(Without trying to hurt anyone's delicate feelings) I'm just trying to figure out the right foot in/out/shake it... I'm left handed...
Darnit I got confused again!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Bet he hasn't tried a trampoline yet :unsure:
Or a pogo stick :LOL:
I would suspect this is the best option
1639087455991.png

Only problem here is you need both hands on the controls, so you would have to fart on the plane to dislodge it from the tree. Or land in the tree remove the plane then climb down after.