STOL, Anyone?

earthsciteach

The language is Italian (I think-hope I'm not embarrassing myself) which I don't speak, but it doesn't matter. This is a beautifully produced video and the flight sequences are really cool. Plus, I really love bush planes!

earthsciteach

Here's more of the same pilot in the video above. He's quite a talented guy!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Whenever I see STOL Demos, I'm amazed again. To see a full scale leap into the air and plop down on a dime never gets old.

Even been in one STOL landing -- shame the pilot didn't intend to stop that short.

I'm not up yet for a build off, but I can't wait to see what comes out!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Rules? There's no stink in rules.

Build something that looks like it could be an Alaskan bush plane.

Create a build thread, and update with your status.

Submit a video of it flying, or crashing, or even failing to make it off the ground.

I suppose we could have a contest deadline... like July 1st?

I'm sure I'll be able to come up with enough categories to make everyone happy they entered.

Mostly I'd like to see some creativity and forum participation. 

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I live literally less than half a mile from the airport where we have the fly in. I was working this year and couldn't make it but here's the STOL highlights from this year.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
It's pretty fun. I drag the family there every year. They hate it but it gets them out of the house lol. One guy brings in a Turbine Otter every year and does STOL demonstrations. That thing is frickin amazing.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Here's another video of one of the fly in pilots. It's a bit long but he has some really really good footage. It shows some of the beach landing poker run too. Somewhere in the middle there's a plane that had a prop strike. We had bad weather for it this year and the snow kept coming much later than normal but he still got good video.

earthsciteach

What a great video! I could watch that stuff all day. You certainly live in a beautiful area. Is your yard big enough for a Flite Test get-together next summer? LOL!!!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I actually have a pretty big area we fly in now that the snow has melted and the mud is dried up. One guy we fly with in the gym in the winter has a loader and he says he's going to go out and clear an actual runway this year and he's talked with another guy who works for an equipment rental company who says he'll bring out a compactor and mash all the rocks in. I'm hoping by the end of summer to bring you guys some videos from our new runway. I'll see if I can find a good video of that otter for you.