STOL simple cub

dutchmonkey

I have been wanting to build a STOL caft of some sort and decided i would give the S-Cub a chance. Now flaperons are an option but they dont give you the control that separate flaps do. To get the most movement out of them i designed up some hinges that would alow for a single servo to actuate them. Here are a couple of images.
20191101_235649.jpg
20191101_235727_HDR.jpg
20191101_235733.jpg
20191101_235751.jpg
20191101_235802.jpg
20191101_235813.jpg

dutchmonkey

Wow. 90 degrees of flaps. How does that work for you? Nicely done.
I have closer to 140 deg flaps. I have not flown yet waiting on servo extensions to get here i dont think i will even use 90 but its nice to be able to test it out.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Great job with the skin.

Your hinge mount for a single flap servo is interesting. Could you elaborate on how you did that?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
where did you get the skins? i didn't think @Rasterize had released his blue sunburst cub yet?

i am very interested in your flap setup. please do share, i would luv to do something similar on the Cub i have in the works...

20191103_155320.jpg

laters,

me :cool:

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor

dutchmonkey

Sweet Cub dutchmonkey! Excellent skin work there my friend! Very clean build. I think that might be the first Blue/White sun burst skin I have seen in the wild.
Is that regular size or did you enlarge it?
For the curious, Skins for the cub (including this one) are found here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/rasterize-skins-for-the-ft-simple-cub.39/
thank you and thank you. Oh and thank you for the beautiful skins to use. mine is stock size if you were asking me it looks like mrjdstewart is doing a XL size.

@ mrjdstewart - I will be sharing the flap hinge and linkage for everyone to use

CheckMySix

I absolutely love flaps on the Cub! Used to hate any wind over 3kts but now I pray for it! 8-10kts is just so much STOL fun.
Do you ever tail stall going slow on downwind? I'll get that when not enough positive air going over the elevator but I did add a little weight to the tall to stop nosing over on landings. That was before I learned and reprogrammed my brain to start adding down elevator on the ground. Used to fly cessnas and down elevator after touchdown is the last thing you wanna do but gotta in taildraggers.
Sick paint job too! The cub is my first FT plane. About 6 weeks in. First time I've been back into the hobby after years away. Once I get all y mods figured out and cool tips and tricks from the forum ( great community), I'm going to build a new fuselage and paint. Thinking about the Marines WW2 L4 artillery spotter scheme. My son is a marine and never been a fan of Cub yellow or army OD green.😋😁.

Last edited:

CheckMySix

where did you get the skins? i didn't think @Rasterize had released his blue sunburst cub yet?

i am very interested in your flap setup. please do share, i would luv to do something similar on the Cub i have in the works...

View attachment 147278

laters,

me :cool:

I've added flaps to my cub as well and love them. Here's my initial config. May make the flaps a bit wider on new wing but....
From the typical aileron starting point...
Flaps width = 12.2cm
Ailerons = 24.6cm (didn't like them going all the way to the wing tip so cut them more like scale cub)
I used the original servo cutouts for ailerons for flap servos. Used original control horn slot of one flap servo and had to off set the other since I don't know how to reverse a servo physically (not in radio since you need servos on Y cable and same receiver channel)
Then, I just put the control horns basically centered for the ailerons and added two servo cutouts. Works really well for me. Still have plenty of control authority for the ailerons. I had to crank down DRs o my first wing build to FT specs. Had to much control IMHO.

One the Spektrum side, out flaps on channel 6. Have 3 pos switch assigned for half flaps=45 and I think 10 down elevator. 90 for full flaps and 30 for elevator. But, I've been tweaking that lately and experimenting. I just put on the E-flite timber 4" wheels and they made noticable difference to flight characteristics that I'm playing around with a few things. Not a huge difference but...I did lose about 2 minutes of flight time.
I also have the C motor (1180kv) in it and 11x5.5 prop (testing 11x8 later today😋😁). I highly recommend both. She just screams now! I can climb straight up more than my old eyes can see (or hit 400'lol) I'm just having a blast this this bird. Some old timers at the field I fly at smile and ask some backhanded questions when they first see it on the ground and then they see how well it flies. They come back and ask...where did you get that thing from? My $130 cub flies better than their $400 production plane! 😛😅
Best thing is... building a new wing costs what... a buck for a sheet of foamboard? Had the servos and cables from scrapping old parkzone corsair. Just let you imagination and hot glue gun run wild!

Still consider this white wing as a prototype. Have a new wing built with FT foamboard. The white wing was made with Ross foamboard. I liked it because its thicker and a little more beef..until I started making folds with FT plans. The thickness screws up the math and made it a real pain. Found a local shop with FT foamboard and gonna stick with it from now on.

Attachments

• 20191209_113115.jpg
    20191209_113115.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191206_200353.jpg
    20191206_200353.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

checkerboardflyer

Nice work! One of the best foam board Cubs i have seen. And thanks for sharing the info on flaps. I flew a MPX FunCub with flaps for years and the flaps just add another dimension to the flying experience. Excellent.

dutchmonkey

i will get some pics/vid of how it works and hopefully if the weather is nice i can madein it this weekend.

Nice work! One of the best foam board Cubs i have seen. And thanks for sharing the info on flaps. I flew a MPX FunCub with flaps for years and the flaps just add another dimension to the flying experience. Excellent.

thank you