Storage charging LiPo's

Scratch

I get how to storage charge, but I'm confused as to what amps to set for a storage charge.

I have a 2200mAh 3S Lipo, and I always do BALANCE charges only. I have never done a FAST charge. I set my Turnigy Accucell 6 charger to 2.2A, and 11.1V for BALANCE charging. When I switch it to STORAGE charging, the 11.1V stays the same, but the Amps changes to 1.0A. Is this correct for STORAGE charging?

Then if I BALANCE charge a 0.8 mAh 3S, I set it to 0.8A, and 11.1V, but when I switch it to STORAGE charge, it goes to 1.0A with 11.1V.

Is this correct too?

I assume it automatically knows what to set the amps to when doing a storage charge then...?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm confused. Is this a fully discharged battery you are charging to a storage level or a fully charged battery you are discharging to storage level? If it's discharging, 1A is normal as it's putting a 1 amp load on the battery to drain it to a storage level of about 3.7v per cell. If it's charging a flat pack to a storage level, it should be using what you have programmed so it doesn't go over the 1C charge rate of your battery...

Scratch

Ok.... Didn't know that. So I'm correct on discharging a fully charged pack to storage charge right? My settings are correct...?

But not correct on charging a dead pack to storage charge level. I assumed the charger was smart enough to know. You know what they say about "assuming"

So if I'm wanting to charge a dead or uncharged pack to storage charge, what should I set my amps and voltage at, and should I set it to balance charge, not storage charge.
Let's say for a 2200 mAh 3S
And a 800 mAh 3S

Otherwise, I could fully balance charge the packs, then storage charge afterwards I suppose...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
When charging, you can use the settings you always do. Keeps it easier and you don't need to remember a new set of numbers. Also, you don't have to full charge them and then discharge to store them. Just charge until the cells hit about 3.7-3.8 and then if you need to balance any cells that are different, put the pack on storage and let the charger pull them all down even.
You'll spend enough time charging, no reason to make it harder on yourself. :)

Scratch

Ok... So if I have some packs that are dead, quarter full, half full, or whatever... And I want to store them, Put them on balance charge and start the charge. Then hit the + button to check each individual cell. Once they are all charged up to at at least 3.7, or if they already are... Then stop the balance charge, and start the storage charge.

And it sounds like for 800 or 2200 packs, I can use the same settings on storage of 1.0A and 11.1V.

Does that all sound right?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Each of the "modes" (Charge/Balance/Fast/Storage) remember the last used amperage/voltage from that mode, you still have to set them manually.

You should be able to do a Storage at 2.2a for your 2200's and 0.8a for your 800mah. I do 1500's, 2200's and 500's and use 1.5/2.2/0.5 respectively whether I'm doing charge/balance or storage.

But when discharging it does max out at 1a so if you're pulling down to storage it won't do it at 2.2 even if you have it set to that...but if you're charging up to storage it will.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
You don't have to do a charge or a balance on a battery that is empty to do storage, you set it on storage with the amperage you wish, and if the charger detects it's low, will charge and balance at the same time, and if it's high, it will discharge and balance at the same time (arbeit, at 1A). In fact, you dont have to use the balance option at all really if you do regular cycles and good storages of your batteries, as the charge option automatially balances them, you can see this by pressing the + button and seeing how it puts the charge into one cell and then "passes" that charge onto another cell to get them equal... the balance option is more for balancing a battery without fully charging it, and only really needs to be used if the battery has been used in an irregular manner (like a 3 cell feeding all the electronics, and apart from that using one cell via the balance port to feed also a few LEDs, for example) or if you do normal charges without pluging in the balance port.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Ok... So if I have some packs that are dead, quarter full, half full, or whatever... And I want to store them, Put them on balance charge and start the charge. Then hit the + button to check each individual cell. Once they are all charged up to at at least 3.7, or if they already are... Then stop the balance charge, and start the storage charge.

And it sounds like for 800 or 2200 packs, I can use the same settings on storage of 1.0A and 11.1V.

Does that all sound right?
Yes, but like Epi said, just use the storage charge with your normal charge settings if the batteries are flat. If they are fully charged, the Accucel will just start discharging at 1A to bring them down to storage level. You don't need to change any settings from what you've been using for the storage charge, the charger will know what to do.

DDSFlyer

You don't have to do a charge or a balance on a battery that is empty to do storage, you set it on storage with the amperage you wish, and if the charger detects it's low, will charge and balance at the same time, and if it's high, it will discharge and balance at the same time (arbeit, at 1A). In fact, you dont have to use the balance option at all really if you do regular cycles and good storages of your batteries, as the charge option automatially balances them, you can see this by pressing the + button and seeing how it puts the charge into one cell and then "passes" that charge onto another cell to get them equal... the balance option is more for balancing a battery without fully charging it, and only really needs to be used if the battery has been used in an irregular manner (like a 3 cell feeding all the electronics, and apart from that using one cell via the balance port to feed also a few LEDs, for example) or if you do normal charges without pluging in the balance port.

I have a Thunder AC6 charger. So you are saying when you charge your batteries you use the charge setting with the balance plug in? I always balance charge my batteries with the balance plug in.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have a Thunder AC6 charger. So you are saying when you charge your batteries you use the charge setting with the balance plug in? I always balance charge my batteries with the balance plug in.
There is no harm in doing that. I do the same thing. It is a bit faster to just peak charge them but also a bit more risky if you have a cell that has developed more or less internal resistance than it's packmates. A few cycles won't be enough to unbalance a pack but over more cycles, or if you have large differences in IR of cells, then it can be an issue. If left unchecked, it can lead to a cell overcharging. Overcharging is usually what causes failure in lipos. Keep in mind that failure mode in this case is puffing, worst case is lipo fire. I'm sure you've seen the videos on the youtube of cars burning because people left lipos quick charging in them unattended...

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah I kinda think most chargers limit a storage charge/discharge to 1.0A. There are quicker ways to discharge them...either hook them to a series of lights OR hook them up to your motor and run them. Sometimes I run them in my plane first to get them down quicker before letting the charger finish them off.

Fyathyrio

A dedicated lipo discharger is faster and better than using a small charger to discharge & balance lipos. They only cost around $20 and use 3 50w bulbs and a bank of internal resistors with a control brain to discharge safely. Fully adjustable from 2.0v per cell on up, you can balance fully charged packs that are a little off without going all the way down to 3.8x volts/cell.

Make sure to read the listing and ensure the bulbs are included, some are much cheaper and don't include the bulbs & fixtures to save $$. If it's only $10-$15, it likely doesn't have the bulbs.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Most chargers use resistance to discharge. It's slow and just generates heat. I prefer to run my batteries down in either a model or plugging it into a DC device such as a DC charger to transfer that energy into something.

Bricks

Master member
Some of the new chargers when discharging if hooked to a 12 volt battery for the chargers power will actually pull charge from the lipo`s and put it back into it`s power source, in stead of just producing heat