Storch floats

Aviador

Looking for plans for floats that work with the storch. Also any tip or suggestions about waterproofing electronics or dtfb and about flying with floats as this will be my first time! Thanks

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Maybe try making these floats. Fiddle with them so they balance well. I haven't made any float planes but the BluCub2 was my first plane I flew. As for waterproofing check this out...

RavenFly

Do you know if the simple cub float plans would work with the Storch?
I bet they are too short. Width-wise, they are probably ok, but need to be extended and then mounted to get the step ahead of the CG.

I have used the cub floats unmodified on the Bushwacker and that went well. I have recently used them, but extended, on a Legacy, but didnt make them long enough and the floats dig in under thrust. Google image search RC FLoat Plane design and you'll get the idea. Float Design

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I bet they are too short. Width-wise, they are probably ok, but need to be extended and then mounted to get the step ahead of the CG.

I have used the cub floats unmodified on the Bushwacker and that went well. I have recently used them, but extended, on a Legacy, but didnt make them long enough and the floats dig in under thrust. Google image search RC FLoat Plane design and you'll get the idea. Float Design
Yep. Make them longer and you should be right. You can hot wire your own too but first download a template like this
1614118492697.png

There should be a kicker to lift the floats up so the plane gets of the water. Better to start with longer than shorter so your plane doesn't decide to be a sub!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Looking for plans for floats that work with the storch. Also any tip or suggestions about waterproofing electronics or dtfb and about flying with floats as this will be my first time! Thanks
A great way to waterproof your plane is by using oil-based polyurethane. Float flying is pretty similar to taking off with landing gear - throttle up and gently give up elevator input to lift it into the air. Here's a great video FT made about flying off the water with some tipes and tricks: