Storch with LIFEPO4

bmlyons

I have built two planes - FT Old Speedster and FT Storch and have not been able to fly them. I have a B (single) power pack and a C (single) power pack.

I made a decision to stick with LifePO4 batteries, so I bought a couple Zippy 2100 3S 30C. They weigh 218g and only provide 9.9v.

I put the C power pack in the Storch with supplied prop and ESC. I thought the FT Storch would have no problem lifting the battery, but it seems that 9.9v isn't enough power to keep the Storch in the air.

I have tried gliding into the wind from the top of a hill, and it glides ok. Just not enough power to climb out.

At the present, I have removed the landing gear and I am currently installing flaps in the hope that the additional lift will help.

Does anybody have any experience with LifePO4 batteries with foam planes? From what I've have seen online, the FT Storch with even a little thrust would be able to lift a lot.

Thanks in advance for any help..
..Blair

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
From what I have just seen with a quick search that is like trying to fly it on standard AA batteries mate. That's not enough power to handle the current draw of those motors. they are basically rechargeable batteries for small electronic devices.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I wonder if the B pack motor with the C pack prop would turn the trick here?

I think you need to up the KV to spin a prop fast enough on 9v to make a difference and I think at 9v and say 1500kv you will still need a 9" or 10" prop.

mactek

I have built two planes - FT Old Speedster and FT Storch and have not been able to fly them. I have a B (single) power pack and a C (single) power pack.

I made a decision to stick with LifePO4 batteries, so I bought a couple Zippy 2100 3S 30C. They weigh 218g and only provide 9.9v.

I put the C power pack in the Storch with supplied prop and ESC. I thought the FT Storch would have no problem lifting the battery, but it seems that 9.9v isn't enough power to keep the Storch in the air.

I have tried gliding into the wind from the top of a hill, and it glides ok. Just not enough power to climb out.

At the present, I have removed the landing gear and I am currently installing flaps in the hope that the additional lift will help.

Does anybody have any experience with LifePO4 batteries with foam planes? From what I've have seen online, the FT Storch with even a little thrust would be able to lift a lot.

Thanks in advance for any help..
..Blair

I would get a couple of 2200mah 3s lipos. They are cheap and you can fly those planes no problem with them.