Storch with no dihedral?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I am in the middle of scratch building my wing and I noticed I did not have a gap in between the two halves like Josh mentions in the video for Dihedral angle. I am going to attempt to flex the wing without the gap and see what happens. But, what if it was built with no dihedral? Would it skid allot in turns, would it fly inverted better? What would happen???? I need a fast answer cus I'm getting close to that point of no return...

IMG_2230.JPG

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Meh.

Fold the wing, then cut the notch out of the top. Shouldn't be too hard to free-hand in a few degrees worth of gap.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks, Craftydan, I am going to give it a try right now...what could possibly go wrong???

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It worked!

It bent with no problem and I think it is even stronger with no gap there. I actually made the gap with the hot glue gun while injecting glue into the seem. I also put a Popsicle stick in-between the spars to reinforce the area a little bit. I learned from my first Storch to make this area strong...

IMG_2232.JPG
Yes, there is a Tundra back there just waiting it's turn to fly....once I get good enough...

IMG_2231.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I noticed that I made my wing kind of tight and the bottom leading edge came up at an angle under the wing spar. It is perfect all the way across, but I wonder what it will do to the flight characteristics? I am thinking it should be OK, but may affect elevator trim the first couple times out until I get it trimmed out correctly?

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

See the old Storch under-wing section is nice and straight...

IMG_2244.JPG

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I doubt it will do much to your elevator trim, but there's only one way to find out.

It will probably have better inverted performance. I doubt you'll notice much else though.