Storing LiPo Battery in Fridge

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Your posts have been aimed directly against the idea of any from of refrigeration and inferred that it is not only a useless procedure but also that anyone who does so is obviously doing something else wrong or stupid.
Here you go again. Making wildly inaccurate statements, When did I ever say any of that? I never said a fridge wouldn’t work, I said it may be a bandage to mask the real problem. I never called anyone stupid, show me the post where I did.

My only point is 30C is not that warm, it’s not the extreme conditions you have. It’s possible there is some other reason Prithul's packs are puffing. If there is another cause, putting your pack in a fridge may work but it is masking the real problem.

I will ask once more. In this thread, which post did I say I would not help find a problem or a solution? In which of my post did I ridicule anyone?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I thank you for your belated admission that a fridge might be useful if you live is a climate where you have temperatures like that.

The use of the term "Intellectual (Deleted Inappropriate content)" however is less than helpful, does not constitute a constructive input to the debate.Whilst you may never understand the principles upon which the original topic of this debate was based i can assure you that the external temperature of a pack that you can feel post flight is far far lower than the temperatures in the centre of the individual cells especially where there is one or more cells in the pack that have little exposed surface area compared to the outer cells.

As for the savings I cannot speak for everyone but i have packs in almost daily usage that have over 300 flights on them! A minor saving for some I suppose but from what I was experiencing previously it is a 6 fold increase in life and climbing!

I would still appreciate any constructive contribution you might have to allow others to extend the life of their battery packs or the cycle life if you know of any!

Have fun!

Last edited:

d8veh

Elite member
I would still appreciate any constructive contribution you might have to allow others to extend the life of their battery packs or the cycle life if you know of any!

Have fun!
I already told you the 80/20 rule. Can you not read?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I thank you for your belated admission that a fridge might be useful if you live is a climate where you have temperatures like that.
When did you think I said a fridge would not work?

My point has always been 30C is not that warm, it’s not the extreme conditions you have. It’s possible there is some other reason Prithul's packs are puffing. If there is another cause, putting your pack in a fridge is masking the real problem.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Here you go again. Making wildly inaccurate statements, When did I ever say any of that? I never said a fridge wouldn’t work, I said it may be a bandage to mask the real problem. I never called anyone stupid, show me the post where I did.

My only point is 30C is not that warm, it’s not the extreme conditions you have. It’s possible there is some other reason Prithul's packs are puffing. If there is another cause, putting your pack in a fridge may work but it is masking the real problem.

I will ask once more. In this thread, which post did I say I would not help find a problem or a solution? In which of my post did I ridicule anyone?

Having stated that it MIGHT be a bandage to mask the real problem, what did you offer as a solution apart from criticizing the whole refrigerator and implying that those who suffer puffing are doing something wrong or foolish? Had it ever occurred to you that the 30 degree figure might have been an estimate and that the figure was just given as an indication of the ambient temperature being quite high or above their average at the time?

If they have a problem that you know of and outside the standard LiPo handling procedures and cautions please advise on this thread and supply the cure if known. The request was to try and determine if refrigerating his batteries might help. It helps me and others here so it MIGHT be helpful to him and that is what I posted!

As for anything being a bandage for a problem it is better to stick a bandage upon it and hope that someone comes up with a cure than to just ignore it. TO do nothing changes nothing!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Merv Insult, put down, or derisive comment ! - But some just want to stick their head in the sand, or batteries in the fridge and ignore the problem. I cannot judge this as anything other than an insult no matter how hard I look at it or from whatever view point.

In addition at the same time I have another person using terminology like "Intellectual (Deleted Inappropriate content)" to defend his argument!

"A fridge is just not the ONLY solution one should consider". Nice statement but where are the other solutions? I have tried all of the manufacturer recommendations in relation to operating temperature, discharge currents, charging currents and ambient temperatures during charging, battery temperature storage environments as well as storage charge! I have added ventilation holes so large that I can go no further without weakening the structure. I will admit though I haven't tried flying in a temperature controlled environment as yet!

Have fun!

Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
This will be chronicled in later days as "That one time 3 guys got in a fight over whether to put batteries in the fridge"

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As the forum has young users and this is supposed to be a family forum I will edit out my quotation of the post by @d8veh and I would advise that he consider removing in appropriate content from his original post.

Have fun!