Storing planes - what's the best way?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've been driving my wife crazy by storing my planes in any random corner/space of/in the house. We don't have a lot of space to store stuff, and my shed isn't really suitable (it doesn't lock up real well and gets a bit hot...). I was thinking of hanging them all in one place in a relatively out of the way place, that's accessible enough to pretty much grab and go.

At the moment, I've only got 5 planes: a Funbat, a wing (these two live on the fridge and get frequent air time), a Tuff Trainer, an Icon A-5 and a Mig-15. The latter three are the cause of the angst, as they need more space and at present don't get used much. Their location, I'm informed, is very temporary. I've gotta do something about storage, as I've got 3 planes arriving from HK over the next two weeks (two arriving early next week), which are all mid-sized models (~1-1.4m wing).

I'm thinking about hanging them from the roof somewhere, possibly in the lounge room... Does anyone have any ideas about storage solutions? I don't anticipate a big increase in the hanger above these planes, although there may be 1 or two more eventually...

PS pics and sources of parts (if in Aus) would also be appreciated pretty please :)

Last edited:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I've been driving my wife crazy by storing my planes in any random corner/space of/in the house.
You are not alone.
I don't anticipate a big increase in the hanger above these planes, although there may be 1 or two more eventually...
Only you will believe that.
I'm thinking about hanging them from the roof somewhere,..
Some pictures :
I am using electrical wires (single wire) as they are easy to shape and coated with plastic if you want. (Big stuff for 50 Amps and up).
Small planes like Funbat, Sting, Wings a.s.o. is hanging in a punched hole in the aft or under the motor.
Bigger planes are hanging with hooks under the wings.
For longer time storage i have a special wall hanger (in a shed - cold in the winter) for the wings and another for the fuselages.
111230-03.JPG 111230-04.JPG 111230-05.JPG 111230-06.JPG

Pilot-294

did some google looking, and came up with these, simple ideas for putting up some of the planes that store more than fly, as for the planes that are flown more often, use hooks in a rafter and fishing one or cooking twine works well too, for east access tie a clip or something to fasten them at the ends of the string, so it simply clips up, clips down. as for most of these they are just super cheap, but sturdy metal shelf supports with foam on em'. super fast, out of the way, and quick as heck to put up.

plane-rack-left.jpg storage .jpg RC plane Storage-1.jpg

i especially enjoy the idea of putting them above the garage door super out of the way hahaha

of course any UMs that you may have always make cool desk queens and mantle pieces where acceptable

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I've been driving my wife crazy by storing my planes in any random corner/space of/in the house. We don't have a lot of space to store stuff, and my shed isn't really suitable (it doesn't lock up real well and gets a bit hot...).
Join the club, brother! You think it's bad now, wait til you start getting big models.

Here's what I do with my small planes. I use the hooks you can buy at the hardware store for hanging stuff in your garage.

271cdc64.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Hey pilot294, how do you like that Hangar9 Toledo Special? I've been considering one of those or the E-Flite Super Cub 25e.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Cool. Thanks guys. I'll take a visit to the local hardware store... My collection's limited by $ and space. I think in that order ;) HK donated two of the three planes on the way (cub and F9F-8). That said I am still missing a warbird...

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Feel free to store stuff at my place if you need to ease the planes into the house 1 by 1.

While you are at Bunnings get the cheap pine coat hooks, about $3 each. I've got these as plane and heli hooks around the plane room.

G

WombatControl

Certified DT foam addict
I store some of my birds by hanging them from rafters in the basement - the trick is to make sure they're not in a position where the wire or string can dig into the foam. Also, make sure you hang them where you don't bump your head on them. :)

The most popular technique is the PVC pipe with insulation over them - that's probably a better solution as it avoids hangar rash.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I think I've settled on a couple of 4.5m tethers, usually used for holding surfboards etc. on cars. They have a ratchet mechanism so will tighten off anchors in the studs. This will hold the planes up near the roof, fully assembled, out of the way and on flat, wide strapping (25mm wide). I'll post pics when I've put it up

Banshee

I've been driving my wife crazy by storing my planes in any random corner/space of/in the house.

I don't anticipate a big increase in the hanger above these planes, although there may be 1 or two more eventually...

Yup, driving me completely mad because you can't touch anything near that corner of the room without a plane threatening to fall. And hun, you're the only one who doesn't anticipate and increase....

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I've got a huge set of shelves assembled in the garage where I store most of the planes, others I have around the room neatly slotted together like tetris blocks :rolleyes: also have another shelf for wings which can just slide in. I like some of the other ideas in this thread though, maybe I could hang some smaller ones from the ceiling...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yup, driving me completely mad because you can't touch anything near that corner of the room without a plane threatening to fall. And hun, you're the only one who doesn't anticipate and increase....

That sounds like permission to me ;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

Oh no you didn't! Lob, you let the missus onto the forum?

A discreet PM to me, and I could/can have her banned... :D :p

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, I didn't 'let' her... She waited until I was asleep to sign up... Can I take her last post to be offensive?