Strange thing to find on your desk at work

Bolvon72

Mentor
So I come in and this is on my desk

2013-03-20 08.11.32.jpg

Someone's old wing. As it turns out one of my employees bought a new house and found it in the attic. I don't expect that I have a use for a 72mhz hitec receiver and an old inrunner, but I have decided to clean it up, throw some spare electronics on it, fix the elevons and make her fly again. I haven't messed with any wings beside the Delta swappable so it should be fun. Just though it was an interesting thing to find on a Wed morning.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
That is a zagi 400.
I was given one recently!
And before everyone says upgrade to brushless, it performs fine with the brushed motor.
That motor has a built in ESC, and is one of the better brushed motors.
As to getting it flying, pull the old fibrous tape gently off the colored tape, winglets, elevons, and powerpod.
Then, hot glue the wing tips on, and duplicate the old tape pattern with extreme tape.
Replace the rx, and tape the power pod on.
Make new winglets.
I recommend using a 2.3 mm collet adapter to attach a 6x4 prop, and a lipo battery to replace the old 8 cell nicd.
Use any 2cell from a 1300 mah, all the way up to a 3000 mah.
Unless you happen to have a lipo cut off brushed esc, just set a 3:00 min timer on your radio for each 1000mah, and if you start it on launch, and land when it's done, your lipos won't even go as low as the auto cut on brushless ESCs.
Go have fun!
You'll like it!

MrClean

Yea but dump the feather reciever. never had one get more then 13 yards away before I lost all contact.

Bolvon72

Mentor
Yea but dump the feather reciever. never had one get more then 13 yards away before I lost all contact.

I'll take it home and mess around with an OrangeRX and a lipo, see what I can get moving. Just ordered a replacement canopy, need to cut some new elevons, winglets etc.

MrClean

I think I still have an FMA razor in the box somewhere in that mess of a garage of mine. Bout the same thing. I had one pod that I built a Norvel .051 RC into. Man did that thing cook. But that was back in the day of heavy nicad packs. New, high density batteries would be fantastic now. Darn thing was made out of car bumper foam. Run it into the ground, maybe the ailerons would break but it was fine.

Bolvon72

Mentor
Well, hooked it up and everything is in working order, but that motor feels pretty weak. I'll try it as it stands but I don't see too many thrills without an upgrade. It cleaned up nice though, I'll post a flight vid when the canopy comes in.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Trust me, these need almost no power to fly.
If you are running a 2 cell, you will need to prop up slightly, especially if you live at altitude, I don't recommend a 3 cell unless you want to cook the motor, or lose your prop, which is not fun at long Range, I know:black_eyed:
As to brushless power, If you keep it light, an AXN FJ motor on a 5.5X5.5 has unlimited vertical on a 3 cell 1300. If you don't, I use a 2826-6.
These are pretty much limited to rolls, stall turns, inverted as long as you can, etc. stock. I have looped it out of a dive on a 3 cell, but I also lost the prop in the loop.
These are awesome fun if they are light, and even heavy they will fly okay.
Enough lecturing, Go fly this puppy!:D
P.S., I never fly with the canopy.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Well, hooked it up and everything is in working order, but that motor feels pretty weak.

Could be that the motor has dropped a bearing or a brush or something like that.

But... more likely because that prop is on back to front!

I could be wrong but in the photo it appears that the little Gunther prop is facing the wrong way. The prop has writing on it (GUNTHER etc) - make sure this writing is facing away from the motor. In other words the writing side is the side which pushes the air.

Keep us posted - I remember wanting one of those when I was young and poor.

Bolvon72

Mentor
Could be that the motor has dropped a bearing or a brush or something like that.

But... more likely because that prop is on back to front!

The prop's right, I think it got left behind because the motor was shot. This 2212 2200kv with a 6x4 will move it plenty well, and I have nothing else to put it on at the moment. The downside is I used the esc I had for it on my Bixler and I am not going to try and pull that out again, so I guess I'll be hitting up altitude hobbies today. I have some room left in my hobby budget for the month.