Strix Stratosurfer

jack10525

Thank you Hai-Lee for the very thorough explanation. I've read a few posts where retailers have replaced defective parts. RMRC IS NOT ONE OF THOSE RETAILERS!!! Like you said RMRC denied my request for replacement parts. So I will most likely will not buy anything from RMRC again. They could have at least agreed to replacing the esc which I think is the issue. I bench tested the esc and it worked but I still swapped it out for a 40 amp I had. I had a few successful flights with the different esc. So just to recap: DO NOT BUY FROM RMRC!!!!

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Hey folks, have been flying full scale and wanted to check in and give an update.... Stratosurfer is still in one piece, even loaned it out with no expectation of getting it back, and it’s still in perfect shape! Another milestone in this hobby!

I’m an areoeducator in the Civil Air Patrol and will be stripping it down and using it as a trainer in the spring.

Justin

Last edited:

IcedStorm777

Regarding the stratosurfer do you think it would be possible to turn it into a float plane? All you would need to do would be add two wing pontoons and then seal the two tiny holes in the fuselage. Does anyone think this is possible...

stereodreieck86

Hey guys,
Been reading through this post and I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the plane so much! We DO have one at the shop that we will be setting up at some point ;)
Also wanted to update you all that we are also about to shoot some content on ANOTHER STRIX product called the ALATUS. If you have yet to see it...it is a pretty simple WING design that keys together and has FPV etc...we actually talked a little bit about on one of our podcasts recently. Just wanted to let you guys know and tell you to be on the lookout for that coming soon! ;)

ALSO...PS - we are shooting the MIG stuff tomorrow as well, so THAT is fantastic! ;) NEW PLANES!!!!!! Gotta love it!

Blessings and happy flying guys!
Stefan

Are things going the same way they did with the Stratosurfer ?!:mad: Its not even availlable in Europe ! its out of Stock for year, from what I understand they (RMRC)dont even have a distributor in Europe, one employee told me on Youtube I have to take it in my on hands if I want a Stratosurfer. Find a distributor in Europe or Germany and convince a company in America (not Flitetest)to work with that distributor.
Oh, before I forget a few more details: It is planned to produce more Stratosurfer in the future but the employee on YT could not even tell when the production is gonna start.

In which world is it up to the customer to find distributor on his own continent ? Isnt a purchase supposed to be as easy as possible ?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
RMRC has them.

https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/strix-stratosurfer-pnp

Are things going the same way they did with the Stratosurfer ?!:mad: Its not even availlable in Europe ! its out of Stock for year, from what I understand they (RMRC)dont even have a distributor in Europe, one employee told me on Youtube I have to take it in my on hands if I want a Stratosurfer. Find a distributor in Europe or Germany and convince a company in America (not Flitetest)to work with that distributor.
Oh, before I forget a few more details: It is planned to produce more Stratosurfer in the future but the employee on YT could not even tell when the production is gonna start.

In which world is it up to the customer to find distributor on his own continent ? Isnt a purchase supposed to be as easy as possible ?

Gary Baird

No photos of entire build, but it's pretty straight-forward. I used a Cyclops Tornado flight controller with the GPS on the left wing, & pitot tube on right. Wires and hoses are routed through the channels for servo wires. With a little trimming, I was able to fit the ESC in the top wing retainer. The flight controller sits on the top shelf, the current sensor, SBUS to PWM adapter, and other stuff is tucked around & under the shelf. My TBS Crossfire Micro receiver is on the side of the battery compartment. FPV transmitter is on the back porch, FPV cam on nose, HD cam behind (will add pan/tilt soon).

Battery compartment is frustratingly small, it can carry much more than can fit, so I'm building an 18650 cell Li Ion pack to better use the space available. Main restriction is only about 40ish mm height of whatever batteries, taller than that and the hatch foam tab won't fit. Batteries have to sit pretty far forward to get CoG right. Included velcro strap is pretty useless, I put in a better one with velcro on bottom to prevent packs from sliding.

I also replaced the included cheap phillips screws with M3x40 and M3x50 button hex head screws, the included ones looked like they could strip pretty easily.

The clear tube behind the camera is for the Crossfire antenna. When screwing the camera mount on the nose, make sure the screws aren't too long, or they could puncture your battery.

It's really too bad the above image is missing. Images and wiring diagrams is really what I need to get my Stratosufer going. I have all the parts but where to place them and how to wire everything up is becoming increasingly frustrating. This kind of information is just not out here. Everyone else in these threads seems to have tons of experience and nothing really applies to the very basic beginner. As you say "straight forward", but it is not for all of us newbies out here.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It's really too bad the above image is missing. Images and wiring diagrams is really what I need to get my Stratosufer going. I have all the parts but where to place them and how to wire everything up is becoming increasingly frustrating. This kind of information is just not out here. Everyone else in these threads seems to have tons of experience and nothing really applies to the very basic beginner. As you say "straight forward", but it is not for all of us newbies out here.

I have a stratosurfer and can take pictures if you need. Mine has a Marek F405-wing flight controller running Ardupilot and FPV gear too.
RMRC has a build video here:
Cheers!
LitterBug

Attachments

• Stratosurfer.jpg
    Stratosurfer.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

arizona98tj

Try here....there is plenty of information in the thread, IMO.

perhapsleiana

Elite member
a note on the 3M outdoor mounting tape- it's the consumer version of VHB. VHB tapes are dangerously strong, and not sold in stores, or in small rolls directly, but you can get rewound rolls off eBay.