Stuck figuring out my first quad build...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
LitterBug, I think I see what you mean. Although I believe the 3v pad is actually a rectangle and not a square. So it's not touching the neighboring 5v. Is that what you mean?

Or wait no, you're saying there's another pad under the 5v pad ... and I need to solder that away then bridge center to the 3v.

And so would that mean I need to solder the RX wire back with the other wires. Because I soldered it directly to the 3v pad...

*UART 3

You can probably get away with soldering directly to that tab as well.

outthayr

You can probably get away with soldering directly to that tab as well.

The quad powered up and got response from the TX, so yes it works that way. I'm gonna get in anyway and redo all of those points, it was some of my saddest solder work.

I really appreciate all the help.

outthayr

IMG_3673.JPG

Fini.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Looks like there are some screws missing in the back bolting the top plate to the standoffs. Make sure you replace those or the vibrations can cause a lot of noise on the gyro. That can cause really erratic flight when the props and motors hit the resonant frequency of the frame. You might also want to find a way to stiffen up and support the RX antenna leads to keep them from getting pulled into the props.

I've built quite a few different types and speeds of multirotors in the last year. The Owl was one of my first scratch builds and is still one of my favorites to fly. Currently have three full size Owl frames, of which two are up and running. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have.

Cheers!
LitterBug

outthayr

Good eye! I did in fact put two screws in. Just had to get them and forgot when I took the photo.

My solution for the RX wires is coffee straws.