Studying for / Acquiring the Part 107

d8agod

Part 107

Hey Guys/Gals,

Upon request, I am going to document my voyage on studying for and acquiring the Part 107 unmanned aircraft license.

To get started, I am going to share a few links from Ruppercht Law P.A., a solid Drone Law Attorney that has a very savvy subscription newsletter that delivers a lot of good information to know and understand. Up to date, I have been able to obtain material to study and practice without having to spend a dime. Not having to pay for any material is going to be my intent throughout this process.

As I continue to add material to this thread, please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or comments. I am not a licensed pilot, I am not an attorney, so please take that into consideration when you post.

Things I intend to go over...

• Obtaining Study Material
  • Find A Testing Center
  • Study Concepts - High Level
  • Registering For The Exam
  • Practice Test
  • Final Exam

Stay tuned, thanks!

Reference Links:
Ruppercht Law - http://jrupprechtlaw.com/
Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate - http://jrupprechtlaw.com/part-107-test-study-guide
FAQ - http://jrupprechtlaw.com/faas-far-part-107-frequently-asked-questions

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Awesome start mate. Thank you ahead of time for anyone who may need or use this info in the future.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks again for the info. I dl'd the pdf and will take a peak at it later. I am currently not going for mine but is good to have a general idea what its about. Knowledge is power.

d8agod

Absolutely!

Also, just something for those that are going to take their 107. It has been the word around the block, that the test is hard and tricky. A few reasons why, the FAA has a very large database of questions that are randomized for each exam, the questions on the exam will not all pertain to 'flying' or 'drones' (not many at all actually), there are quite a few 'trick questions' or common knowledge questions as a 'human' that you will need to be able to answer.

More to come!

tmack

I paid $99 for a series of videos and online tests. I will check in form time to time as well. I signed up and paid for the class on remotepilot101

d8agod

Is it worth it?

I paid $99 for a series of videos and online tests. I will check in form time to time as well. I signed up and paid for the class on remotepilot101

Awesome! I have heard nothing but great things about remotepilot 101. The big question, do you think it is worth the mula? Or is the material a lot of fluff, i.e. Material already available via the webs for free?

I joined in on a couple of their online live webinars, which I thought were impressive. However I am still not sure if its a gimic to get the bones rolling in or if the course is a legit one. (According to Remote Pilot 101's metrics, something like ~80% of applicants that go through 101 have passed.)

Let me know! I am very curious, and quite honestly, if that course gets me licensed up quicker in a more efficient manner, than I'm in!

tmack

d8agod,

I have no idea. But I need to watch the videos, it is better for my learn style. I completed the first section and then 4 days later went back and took the practice test for that section and got 8 out of 8 so the material stuck. Most of these government tests require taking lots of practice exams so you get comfortable with the format. If the remote pilot guys are good at culling actual test questions or close to actual test questions, then this course will be well worth it. I just do know the answer to that. I have wasted $99 on worse things, so I am not to worried.

-Ted

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
After a little study I was able to fly through the sample 107 test on the "drone" related questions, but the sectional chart and weather sources stuff is a black hole for me still.

So I bought the http://remotepilot101.com video series today and am getting started on it. So far the lesson format is good, but I haven't hit the Section 1 quiz yet. We'll see how well it sinks in :)

OttoPilot

Although I currently have all my Private Pilot study material I think I'm going to go ahead and order the ASA study guide for Remote UAS pilots from Sporty's.

I'm confident I could piece together a passing score using only the private pilot study info and the FAA's study guide, but having something dedicated to the test will help with peace of mind.

I'll shoot a little review here to let you know if it's worthwhile.