Stuff you use for winter

Spastickitten

Seems like it'd be fun on a pond, but I want to get floats for the little sport cub s. It would fly great in the little are I have down the street.

crash1414

FTafterhours podcast host
I was wondering what you guys need to fly in the cold winter months. I won't need it, but I want to understand just how bad it is in winter. Even the coldest months don't get too cold (a little less than 0 degrees celsius at it's worst), so I don't really know how it affects flying, planes, batteries, the canadian, and other basic stuff. Just curious.

we did a podcast long ago about this but we can touch on it again...come on up and enjoy the snow.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
IMG_6742.jpg

Pakratt76

Die-Hard Aviator!
To keep the hands warm I use a self converted 3 month old toddler
jacket from Walmart that I found on clearance for $3.00.

I can put those disposable hand warmers inside the jacket pockets
if I choose, but usually just the jacket alone tends to make my
hands too warm.... 90% of the time, I have the zipper open
at least 1/2 way and my hands still stay nice and toasty....

This will be about my 5th winter season using this now....
(good old northern Ohio)

4437664_orig.jpg

8521204_orig.jpg

7351099_orig.jpg

crash1414

FTafterhours podcast host
that is a fantastic idea.... i need a sewing machine...
To keep the hands warm I use a self converted 3 month old toddler
jacket from Walmart that I found on clearance for $3.00.

I can put those disposable hand warmers inside the jacket pockets
if I choose, but usually just the jacket alone tends to make my
hands too warm.... 90% of the time, I have the zipper open
at least 1/2 way and my hands still stay nice and toasty....

This will be about my 5th winter season using this now....
(good old northern Ohio)

4437664_orig.jpg

8521204_orig.jpg

7351099_orig.jpg

BobK

Banned
My winter squadron. The onboard shot is from my old sturdy birdy mk.2... a surprisingly good (if heavy) camera platform.
View attachment 62882 View attachment 62883 View attachment 62884 View attachment 62885 View attachment 62886

Ah the good 'ol GWS Tiger Moth, what a great little plane :) I have one that is ready to go at all times to weave through the trees in my yard, and I have an unbuilt kit stashed away in the closet. Have you ever tried the flying wire mod? It makes the wings strong enough to do all kinds of aerobatics without worrying about them folding.

Nice SS also.

AerodromeChris

I had that little sport cub s as my first plane, how is it with skis?

It's great! Since it's so light, it even handles powder well. The only issue it has is that little 1S lipo doesn't last long in the cold. I scratch built the skis from an old plastic plate, rubber bands, and a little fishing line.

Andre, nice Alby! Did you know there was an Alby on floats during WWI? 59_3.jpg

ridepate

I'm waaaayyy down here in North Ga. 67 today....:) When we get what we call shitty weather......It's 20 and I don't fly. Problem solved. Being from the south, It's not in my mentality. I'd die......The snows pretty, when on occasion, it comes. But it goes away pretty quick.

Last edited:

BobK

Banned
Almost got hit with a blizzard today but it went south.