SU - 37 (Sukhoi) 3D aerobatic with active canards

jmrpb

SU - 37 (Sukhoi) 3D aerobatic with active canards

SU - 37 (Sukhoi) With Functional Canards
(Version 7)​

This is my Sukhoi 37 with functional canards and only three servos. Please, look carefully at picture number five for more details on the linkage. To achieve correct movement of the canard we must cross link it with elevons. Example: link right elevon with left canard and left elevon with right canard.

It was a serious headache :confused:, and lots of hours burned, but I finally figure it out and managed to do it with just 3 servos. In the end, it was worthwhile world while! This babe can manoeuver like a 3D airplane, and with just 3 servos I kept the weight as low as possible.

It has a simple way of vectorial thrust, like some of other pusher planes. It does almost any 3D manoeuvre that you can think of, with a very good vertical performance. And, of course, it is also very forgiven and stable if you want to. Most of the times, I catch it by hand on landings. It has KF airfoil number 4 (up and down - Acro). It works great!!

The power system is the great secret for good low speed and high speed performance.

The specifications are:

Motor: Axi 2208/34 gold line;
Propeller: Graupner 9” 6” Slim cam (exactly 9” 6”, not the smaller ones like you guys use. This is because the 9” 6” is perfect for acceleration from slow speed and high AoA and also have great behavior at high speeds);
Batteries: #1 Lipo 3 / 850 mA/h with 30C;
Speed controller: Jeti 8A (yes; just only 8 Amps, but this is more than enough. With this power system I can maximize my flight times – 10 minutes with 3D and Acro performance or 12 minutes plus with gentle use of the throttle stick (this is, if you can control yourself with this kind of bird ).

The ailerons and the elevators are linked together by one carbon tube. Like stated before, to achieve correct movement of the canards we must link right elevon with left canard and left elevon with right canard.

Roughly, the dimensions are:

Front to tail: 89 cm (overall length);
Front to leading hedge of the wing: 39 cm;
Wingspan: 64 cm;
Leading hedge swept angle (wing): 45º;
The tip of the wing (outer far part of the wing is): 11 cm (with ailerons);
Ailerons have: 10 cm (at the widest point);
Elevator swept angle is also: 45º;
Dimensions of rudder (at widest point): 18 cm tall by 13 cm wide (at the bottom);
Weight: 345 grams or ~ 12,5 oz to ~ 13,5 oz range. Ready to fly (with this set up and battery).

The front part is made of blue ‘polypropylene’ that makes it almost, and I say ALMOST, indestructible.

I hope that this brief description helps.
I will post a video as soon as possible.

It does have KF airfoil number 4 for aerobatics.

It looks great in the air with this painting scheme (blue marine camouflage) and it’s guaranteed that you’ll receive all the attention of other RC fellow pilots!

Check out the photos below.

José Bernardo

Lisbon, Portugal, Europe

Please enjoy as much as I do. ;)

jmrpb

These are some pictures below:

DSC02211.JPG DSC02217 dim.jpg DSC02217 KF airfoil.jpg DSC02217.JPG SNC_111002_092653.jpg SU 37 n5.jpg
SNC_111002_092653 Small.jpg
SNC_111002_092716.jpg

Last edited:

skeplin

Neat design! So do the elevators act like elevons? What's the advantage of having ailerons as well as elevons? More maneuverability?

jmrpb

I was doing some aerobatics, but the airplane can be really very stable. As you saw I don't land my SU-37 - I simply catch it by hand;)

Follow your dreams and fly like there is no tomorrow.

José Bernardo
Lisbon, Portugal, Europe

jmrpb

Neat design! So do the elevators act like elevons? What's the advantage of having ailerons as well as elevons? More maneuverability?

Thanks! You will get a lot more maneuverability. By the way, my canards are also cross linked with my elevons (please see picture number 5). With this kind of setup You will get more maneuverability and awesome 3D aerobatics, and of course, if you want the airplane can also be very stable. Like you saw I don’t land my SU-37 -> I catch it by hand ;)

Follow your dreams and fly like there is no tomorrow.

José Bernardo
Lisbon, Portugal, Europe