sub 226g Sea Otter?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
what you guys think? trying to collect thoughts and ideas.

this is one of the few FT airplanes i have not built. i recently found a park in town that has a lake, and allows "UMX" type planes to fly. rules state that it has to be under 8oz (226g). i want to build a sea otter to meet those requirements.

having never built one i have no idea what kind of scale i would need to reduce it to to make this number. i am printing out plans for a 100% version as we speak so that i can build it and have a little learning before i try and build the smaller version.

my other real concern is waterproofing. if i am reducing the size this means i am using Adams Redi-board which is not water proof. i know of the polyurethane trick but have never actually used it.

i have a wide assortment of possible parts ranging from UMX motors and linear servos up to an 1806 and 5g servos.

i was thinking a 1306 w 6a esc, 3.7g servos and micro Rx on a small 3S might just fit the bill.

thoughts?

thanks,

me :cool:

OliverW

Legendary member

this is one of the few FT airplanes i have not built. i recently found a park in town that has a lake, and allows "UMX" type planes to fly. rules state that it has to be under 8oz (226g). i want to build a sea otter to meet those requirements.

having never built one i have no idea what kind of scale i would need to reduce it to to make this number. i am printing out plans for a 100% version as we speak so that i can build it and have a little learning before i try and build the smaller version.

my other real concern is waterproofing. if i am reducing the size this means i am using Adams Redi-board which is not water proof. i know of the polyurethane trick but have never actually used it.

i have a wide assortment of possible parts ranging from UMX motors and linear servos up to an 1806 and 5g servos.

i was thinking a 1306 w 6a esc, 3.7g servos and micro Rx on a small 3S might just fit the bill.

thoughts?

thanks,

I would scale it down to 70% of it's original size

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

thoughts?

thanks,

I'll be following the project! I built a UMX sized sea angel and it came in at 66 grams AUW. I built it out of 1mm depron and a little FB. I used brushed UMX 3ch electronics. I would probably do it at 60% and use a park 180 in it.
Good luck!